Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott
    replied
    I know JDP and others work hard to get NADA values where they feel they should be, but I've seen quite a few instances where NADA values just don't reflect reality. Sometimes they are really inflated and other times they are just ridiculously too low. There are certain models - not necessarily Studebakers - from the 1950s that are incredibly rare today, even though thousands were made. I am thinking specifically of the 1958 - 1959 Rambler 4 door hardtops. There are plenty of people in the US that would give their eye-teeth to find one of these, especially an Ambassador, yet the NADA values treat them like you'll find one on every corner. Even more rare are the 4 door hardtop wagons. They make 1958 Packard Hawks look positively common. The last time I looked the NADA value of one of those Ramblers, the given value was about 40%-50% where I know the market is for them.

After seeing that and a few other examples, I take everything from NADA with a huge grain of salt. Most of the Studebaker values seem OK, but you really need to have an outside experience of the value of a model besides NADA to get a sense of whether the NADA values are realistic. That, of course sort of negates the whole value of having a NADA guide at all.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    In my uninformed opinion, not close. Unless you plan to sell it at a Barrett-Jackson auction. Then you might well do better than NADA.

Think about it - where is NADA gonna gather up sales results other than auction results or maybe a vendor who specializes in selling Studes??? I seriously doubt they have personnel scouring the countryside to ferret out the occassional Studebaker transfer.
    I've always been suspect of the figures given in NADA or the Old Car Value Guides. Especially when it comes to Studes. I hafta wonder if honest sales results drive their estimates or their estimates drive sales results.

Right here on this forum we regularly witness cars & trucks bought and sold for WELL under the published figures. What does that say about those "reference" standards???

I'm certain others will have different opinions.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    In my uninformed opinion, not close. Unless you plan to sell it at a Barrett-Jackson auction. Then you might well do better than NADA.

Think about it - where is NADA gonna gather up sales results other than auction results or maybe a vendor who specializes in selling Studes??? I seriously doubt they have personnel scouring the countryside to ferret out the occassional Studebaker transfer.
    I've always been suspect of the figures given in NADA or the Old Car Value Guides. Especially when it comes to Studes. I hafta wonder if honest sales results drive their estimates or their estimates drive sales results.

Right here on this forum we regularly witness cars & trucks bought and sold for WELL under the published figures. What does that say about those "reference" standards???

I'm certain others will have different opinions.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• studecruiser
    started a topic NADA

NADA

How close are the prices given in Nada to what someone can realistically expect to get for their vehicle?
Working...
X