One Ton Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Ton Wheels

Do all Studebaker (ton and over) trucks have six lugs? I have several newer vehicles (Motorhome and trucks) that have eight lugs. Isn't that more normal?

EDIT:

Well I found a partial answer on the Truck Page. It seems that there was a '63 or '64 Champ produced with a one-ton chassis and it has six lugs. Go figure.

It's kinda sad what a few years will do to a truck...

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Yes, I've been told from a reliable source when the 3/4-ton went to 8-lugs, the 1-ton models kept 6-lugs up til the end. However, I've seen an R-series 1-ton pickup with the 5-lug wheels.
    No, the larger-than-1-ton trucks had several different wheel types over the years, some 5-lug, some 6-lug, some the cast spider demountable rim types, but never the 8-lug.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

I think you answered your own questions Ron!

Quote: "I have several NEWER vehicles (Motorhome and trucks) that have eight lugs."

Not at all surprising that a Champ built on a 1 Ton Dually Chassis would have the same 6 lug wheels as a "C" Cab, it's a Champ Cab on the SAME Transtar Chassis! [:0]

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have a 65 Ford(not a studebaker I know) 1 ton dually. It has a spacer bolted to 8 lug drums in the front, and then 6 very large lugs for the rim. In other words there is and adapter between the rim and the brake drum, 8 lugs on the brake drum, and 6 large lugs on the spacer bolting to the rim. Could Studebakers be the same? The wheels look identical to the champ in the picture.

Comment

Rich, the vehicles I was talking about with eight lugs were mostly Chevy types. I have an eighty-nine El Dorado motorhome (Chevy chassis) a '72 GMC 3/4 ton pickup and George has three '63-'65 Chevy 3/4 to 1 tons that all have eight lugs. In fact, the wheels from the El Dorado fit the '65 one ton. I've also had other Chevy pickups with the same pattern. I've never seen a Studebaker of that size close up or often enough to know what's normal.

Ron Smith
          Ron Smith

Comment

Ron, the Champ one ton was a prototype. Not a "produced" vehicle.
            And 5859, some 1 tons use the same Front(my 1960 5E13 for example)brake drum as a 8 lug 3/4ton with an adapter or extension for the six lug wheel on the front wheel.

This is probably true for 57-64 but only a detail analysis of the parts books for 57-64 would show exact details on which trucks this applies to.

3E38
            4E2
            4E28
            5E13
            7E7
            8E7
            8E12
            8E28

59 Lark
            etc

Comment

Everyone has pretty well covered it. Studebaker,
              Ford, and International, all had interchangable
              wheels. There were varations, such as lock rim
              drop center, and tubeless. The early brand X's
              later changed to the standard 8 lug. Larger than
              one ton used a completely different wheel. They
              were also the same as used on Ford, Dodge, Int.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

Ron, the Champ one ton was a prototype. Not a "produced" vehicle.
                Yes, so I've heard numerous times. Yet, trucks like the one above do appear from time to time. One beautiful example, on the truck page is obviously a custom. The above (rough example)truck though, bares a strong resemblence to the 'prototype' truck. I wonder if it was one of those special orders for which Studebaker was so famous?

Ron Smith
                Ron Smith

Comment

As a rule most makes had 6 lug Budd wheels on 1 ton to about 1968 when they changed to 8 lug like the 3/4 ton.
                  I'm sure you can find exceptions(i.e. 10 lug Ford super duty pickup or 5 lug Budd Flat Fender Power wagon)) but it generally applies.

Comment

FWIW, Dodge kept using 6-lug wheels on medium truck chassis and 5-lug on larger chassis up into the '80s. I was just offered a Dodge motor home chassis with 5-lug solid front axle w/disc brakes and a Dana 70 rear dually axle.

quote:So, anyone know what brands of modern tubeless wheels would fit/work on a 63 1 ton and what models trucks were they on?
                    If yours is a dually, then scrap yards with Dodge trucks and motor homes are the places to look.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

My brother has a one ton m-15 with dodge motor home five lug 19.5 wheels. Looks stock-no tubes!!

Tom McCaffrey
                      Tom McCaffrey

Comment

Mike, Try Stockton tire & wheel.
                        http://www.stocktonwheel.com/heavy_duty_wheels.htm
                        Years ago they would cut the centers out of your stock wheels. Then weld them into new tubeless rims. They don't do that any more. But their web site says they can make any steel wheel and specify one ton Ford, Dodge & Int. These were the same used on the Studes as stated above. I found a 66 Ford one ton that I got the split wheels and rear end out of for my 59 4E13.I have seen a couple of Fords around here with none split rim large 6 lug pattern.[:0]

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                        X