A Visit To Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Visit To Studebaker

What you are about to see is from a photo book that is probably the only one in existence. It was made for the presidents of Studebaker's subsidiaries. After it being in my private collection for many years, I decided to share it so others could enjoy it. So here it is:

WOW!!!!!!

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Looks like they all arrived maybe on Studebaker International Airlines and were driven to the Country Club at the Proving Grounds in one or more Mercedes Vans. [^] [:0]

Really cool history photos, Michael Thank you for sharing these.

That lineup in Aug. 1962 with all '59 to '62 Studes. inside the Plant almost bumper to bumper is amazing. [^] And I wondered if they were all employee's cars that were lined up for a good show or what, because it does not look like you could drive them away unless you started at one end or the other! [:0]

Being '59 to '62 makes sense, since there were no '63's built yet, but they obviously were the cream of the crop, no old cars in the bunch, just a '61 Lark Wagon, a '62 GT Hawk and lots O '59-'60 Larks! [^]

OPPS, sorry Mark, they forgot the Truck Division...AGAIN! [V]
      I guess technically, it WAS part of Studebaker Automotive Sales Corp. though.

Onan (Generators)..... STP (Chemical Compounds Div.)..... Gravely Tractors Div.

Paxton Prods. Div. (Superchargers)..... Schaefer (Commercial Refrigerators)

CTL (Space Electronics?)..... Clarke Floor Machine Div. (Floor Sweepers)

Mercedes Benz Sales Div. ..... Studebaker of Canada

Studebaker International (Airlines?)..... Defense Products Div.??????

Looks like Andy, just HAD to be Sherwood's right hand man!

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Being '59 to '62 makes sense, since there were no '63's built yet, but they obviously were the cream of the crop, no old cars in the bunch, just a '61 Lark Wagon, a '62 GT Hawk and lots O '59-'60 Larks! [^]
        There's a '63 Daytona convertible in front of the Proving Ground clubhouse and a 6 cylinder body on the assembly line in the plant. I wonder if that visit has to do with the introduction of the '63 Lark & Hawk lines. I guess taking the wives through the plant was far less risky than dropping them off shopping downtown!!

Craig

Comment

Beauty. Thanks for making the effort to share this[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

That is awsome. Thanks for posting.

It must have been an important meeting because they have Dwight Eisenhower sitting in the lower right hand corner of the meeting picture.

Doug
            Venice, Florida
            1950 Champion
            9G F1

Comment

Hi

What an interesting and rare historic artifact, thank you for sharing it with the Forum.

Interesting too are the things one can see in candid photos. First note the feigned interest by the group of wives in the photo by the rear of the '63 body in what their guide is telling them. Second, notice how much more happy and animated they appear at the luncheon.

On the last page, all the division symbols are within hexagon.....echos of Packard perhaps?

Steve

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Looks like they all arrived maybe on Studebaker International Airlines and were driven to the Country Club at the Proving Grounds in one or more Mercedes Vans. [^] [:0]

Studebaker International (Airlines?).....
                To set the record straight, Studebaker purchased Trans International Airlines from Kirk Kerkorian (it started as Los Angeles Air Service) in 1962 and subsequently sold it back to him in 1964. Since he was president during Studebaker's ownership, it appears that the sale may have occurred following this meeting (or it was such a new purchase he did not get invited).

It is also interesting to note the three large ashtrays on the conference table, with one being strategically in front of Mr. Egbert.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

This is GREAT! Thanks for sharing this fun bit of history!

John and Tracy Smith
                  Queen Creek Arizona
                  http://1955studebaker.blogspot.com/
                  [IMG]

Comment

Thats just AWESOME
                    Tom

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for sharing Michael. It would be nice to have this book replicated and available for purchase.

SnowLark
                      In the middle of Minnestudea
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Invalid User Name

It must have been an important meeting because they have Dwight Eisenhower sitting in the lower right hand corner of the meeting picture.

Pardon me! Dwight Eisenhower??

Frank Drumheller
                        Louisa, VA
                        60S-W6
                        1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

Glad you are all enjoying the album. Did anyone notice that Mrs. Egbert appears to be expecting?

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.
                            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            Long Island Studebaker Club
                            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Michael - Thanks for posting this. I haven't seen it before. It is hard to imagine that Asa Hall or Richard Quinn did not have a copy. I know that is possible. What is odd to me is that this is a book made after the event and not a handout for the event.

I see them arriving by M-B van.

Who is the lady at the head of the table that you magnified? Is that Mrs. Egbert?

Notice all of the ladies going on a plant tour in high heals. You wouldn't be able to do that now.

Rich - There are 1963 model cars there. It looks to me that the lineup of cars is outside the plant, not "inside the plant".

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X