Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone rechromed a 52 grille-pieces???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone rechromed a 52 grille-pieces???

Has any one out there had their grille sections for a 52 plated? if so what kind of money are we looking at? I would think that the 52 would be one of the most expensive to do? lets hear from you on this topic please as I would like to know before I paint mine and take the easy way out, thanks...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
    canbstudebakers-
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Bob , I had mine done , it was triple plated , one of the best jobs I ever saw on a 52 . This was back 15 years ago and I never told my wife how much i paid for it , it was $700 then . I doubt if you could get that same job for 3 grand today .

[IMG]
    Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    1966 Daytona SS
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

How's your pot metal?
      Mine is so bad I don't think it could be re-plated no matter the cost. When it's time I'm going to check into the best faux-chrome powder coat I can find. As the years have gone by they are getting close to the look of chrome.

www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

Interesting - I have an NOS 1952 grille - but it may need to go on one of the 52 HTs I have - unless I convert one to a bullet-nosed convertible.

Too many fantasies - not enough time.

Comment

About 8 years ago I had most of a '52 grille, front bumper, and various misc., pieces (HT) replated in Seattle, not show, but nice. It seems like it was just under 2 grand. This was for a friend's car, and he has all then reciepts with him in Alaska.

Comment

While Jerry Forrester probably can't even "ballpark" it without seeing it, maybe he'll have some insight...

KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kurtruk

While Jerry Forrester probably can't even "ballpark" it without seeing it
              You are correct sir.
              And pictures do not help.

Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I had mine done in the early 90's, if I remember right, it was in the $1500 range, and that was with mostly NOS parts, no pitting!

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

Interesting - I have an NOS 1952 grille - but it may need to go on one of the 52 HTs I have - unless I convert one to a bullet-nosed convertible.
                  Too many fantasies - not enough time.
                  An NOS 52 grill IS a fantasy of mine. The clouds would part and angels sing. That's some eye candy I'd like to see.

www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

The truth about 1952 Chrome:

It wasn't very good.

While there are zero pits, the chrome isn't close to today's show chrome standards, and the original chrome on 1952 cars never was. I have seen original 1953 grilles, and they also are not that shiny.

My understanding is that Chrome was hard to do due to the Korean War.

Comment

The "korean chrome" was as I understand it, nickel with clear lacquer over it, as there was no chrome due to the war.

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

War shortages of plating metals, plus the mass produced type plating process equalled inferior chrome that corroded easily. BUT, those '52 grilles are among my favorite, and look awesome when done!!

Comment

quote:nickel with clear lacquer over it
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
                          X