Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Proposed 1957 Packard..."

Who knew?

This was actually being considered by Studebaker-Packard, which ended up going a cheaper route by adapting the Studebaker bodies for the '57 and '58 Packards.

Many thanks AGAIN to aldenjewell @ Flickr

(edit: spelling)

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
    In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
    If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

If I recall correctly, the Facel's used a Chrysler V8. I wonder if S-P was considering putting a Packard V8 in them or a Stude V8?

He has lots of Studebaker photos at this link including prototypes.

SnowLark
    In the middle of Minnestudea
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Cool! Prototype!!!

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Studebaker Diners Club

Comment

Curious why this drawing has never been brought to light before now.

Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO
          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

I thought I've seen that grille layout before, I gotta say the resemblance in uncanny in the later 1968 Mercedes Benz W114 280C sedans [}]. LOL, I'll let myself out [)].

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
            [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

Curious why this drawing has never been brought to light before now.
              A similar one has....

Craig

Comment

I missed that thread.
                Thank you for posting.

Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO
                President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

Well there ya go Chris...if the Model N resurrection doesn't pan out, go get yourself a clapped-out Facel Vega and make it into a '57 Packard HT prototype...

(More seriously, if there's a plastic kit of a Facel, you could replicate this interesting proposal in miniature.)

S.

Comment

I would LOVE to have one of the early Facel Vega's - the HK 500 models were too cool.

Chris Pile
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I don't have the issue number, but the Facel Vega plan was discussed in the Collectible Automobile article about the last days of Packard. If I remember correctly, the only modification was the replacement of the Facel grille on the four-door with one that was more Packard-like (as can be seen in the drawing).

Scott Rodgers
                      Los Angeles
                      SDC Member since 1989
                      '60 Lark HT
                      '63 Wagonaire
                      '66 Frankenbaker
                      Scott Rodgers
                      Los Angeles
                      SDC Member since 1989
                      \'60 Lark HT
                      \'63 Wagonaire
                      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

A similar one has....
                        e Craig - don't know how I missed that thread, first time around. Thanks for reposting.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                        In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                        If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Here's the Collectible Automobile drawing of the Facel/Packard:

It looks like the picture is from the Facel Vega article from November of '85, not a Packard article.

Scott Rodgers
                          Los Angeles
                          SDC Member since 1989
                          '60 Lark HT
                          '63 Wagonaire
                          '66 Frankenbaker
                          Scott Rodgers
                          Los Angeles
                          SDC Member since 1989
                          \'60 Lark HT
                          \'63 Wagonaire
                          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

The Facel Vega Excellence was a limited production sedan. Only a handfull were built each year and I bet fewer the 250 per year would be a great estimate. They were powered by Chrysler V8's, or by other engines at the buyers requests. The cars broke with European styling trends and featured small tailfins and the American imperative of the era, a wrap around windshield through the early sixties. I think that during its final two years of production the car was updated to by shaving off the fins and and going to a sleek "A" pillar similar to the one GM interduced with its 1963 models.

There are three big issues with the Excellence that would have had tough going in teh American market. The first was it was a terrificaly ponderous vehicle to drive - if you have ever seen one in person (and I have seen one in my life) it is a very "large" car. Driving one makes a concurrent Imperial feel sporty. The biggest draw back is that the Big "E" is a true pillarless hardtop - with both the front and rear door open, there is no B-pillar at all. The doors latch onto an anchor projecting up from the sill a few inches. The result is that these cars suffer from body flexing. Almost everyone around today has had to be reinforced.

I believe that Richard Langworth said it best when he said tha the Excellence is not a daily driver - it is a car of state.

HOWEVER - and I have read this in more than one source, what killed the project (I believe that it would have flown as not a '58, but as a '59 or later) was Mercedes Benz which threatened to pull out of its distribution contract with Studebaker had Studebaker began any type of vehicle that would competed with Benz products. Because MB was the cash stream devil they knew - S-P's board backed out even before the plan even got out of the idea phase. This is one reason why I winced when Damiler Benz bought Chrysler. Benz will do everything within its power to drive a "partner" into the ground.

I believe that Richard Langworth said it best when he said tha the Excellence is not a daily driver - it is a car of state.

The article in Collectible Automobile on Facel-Vega - which is really well illustrated - was done was back in CA first three years (I think that someone else pointed out in 1985) - I made an idex of all CA car articles up through 2005 if anyone would like a copy.

BTW, I did the Execellance article on Wikipedia.

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

I would LOVE to have one of the early Facel Vega's - the HK 500 models were too cool.

Chris Pile
                              I also always liked the HK500, but not the Excellence. The first HK500 that I saw in use was in the 1960-1962 time frame in Bayville, NY. I can still picture it parked along the road in front of a house. It was brand new. I stopped my car, probably my 1957 President Classic, and looked the car over before proceeding.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X