Clear All

• Atlantic City Car Show/Auction

Two Studes on the auction block[]

http://www.acclassicweb.com/listing/detail.asp?Key=717

http://www.acclassicweb.com/listing/detail.asp?Key=721

Anybody going?

Ted
    '57 Champion

it's an interesting auction and I'll be there. Doubt if I'll buy as most cars that are sold are way over priced.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The two Studebakers look to be very nice.
      Would love to own either or both.

Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO
      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

I now refuse to be a bidder at any of these high level auctions. Even if you are only interested in bidding on one vehicle, either in person, online or via telephone, you have to pay hundreds of dollars to become a qualified bidder. I have purchased hundreds of cars at auction without paying for the privelege of bidding and I don't plan on starting now. Some give you that fee back if you buy, but if you are an unsuccessful bidder, you are out the money.

Some examples of bidder entry fee: RM $200, Russo & Steele $150, Barrett-Jackson $500, G. Potter King (this auction) $250.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, that's why I just go and look. In addition you also have to pay a buyer's premium that can be 8-12% of purchase price. Seller also has to pay to sell his car. It's kind of stupid to buy from these auctions unless there is a real good reason. I'll just spectate for awhile and talk to the vendors.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary
            Some examples of bidder entry fee: Barrett-Jackson $500,
            True, but with B-J you get two ringside seats to the circus: entry for the week, good seats, free booze, preferred parking (almost worth that in itself, lest you have to park in Tucson), entry behind the ropes to look at the showcase cars and all the freebees you can get from the vendors.

If you're going to attend and NOT bid, it's still worth the price.
            Every car guy should do it once...

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

UPDATE...there are four Studes on the auction block this weekend...

http://www.acclassicweb.com/listing/

Ted
              '57 Champion

If you have the time: http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/studebaker

Comment

Bet they have a sparse crowd as the weather is going to be worse than bad. AC is now almost directly in the bulls eye of the approaching storm with hurricane force winds and the potential for up to two (2) feet of snow. I had planned to be there but not now as getting there is going to be a problem.

Noted a very interesting VIN# on the 65 Avanti. If my memory is correct it should be an RQA#. Also interesting t osee all of the Studebaker parts used on this car. it is a great example of an early Avanti II even with the funky hub caps.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Yes...BIG storm...we'll get whacked here in Central Jersey.

I was going on Saturday...not sure I'll be dug out by then!!

Ted
                  '57 Champion

Comment

I'm no expert by any means but, the engine compartmant dosen't look right in the '57 Golden Hawk. I know the air filters are wrong but what else is there? Neal

Comment

Some pictures that I took at the show...

The GT Hawk sold yesterday...didn't find out how much it went for. 1936 President sold today---owner lifted the reserve at the last minute..new owner got it for $17,500...it was a nice car (I believe today's eye candy!)...The Golden Hawk did not hit the block before I left...and the Avanti is on the block tomorrow...

1955 Mercedes

Ted
                      '57 Champion

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeSchack

1936 President sold today---owner lifted the reserve at the last minute..new owner got it for $17,500...
                        Was that car as nice as it looked in the pictures?? Maybe I CAN someday afford one like that after all![]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Gary, that's why I just go and look. In addition you also have to pay a buyer's premium that can be 8-12% of purchase price. Seller also has to pay to sell his car. It's kind of stupid to buy from these auctions unless there is a real good reason. I'll just spectate for awhile and talk to the vendors.
                          I agree with both of you. I go just because I love them. If I was VERY serious about a specific car I'd try to find the owner and make an outside deal before the sale; if I couldn't, and REALLY needed the car, only then would I pay and register. I know the promoter's got overhead to pay, but it's better I do that and pay spectator admission than nothing...

In the past I have bought cars after the sale that didn't meet reserve. Unlike real estate, once it's crossed the block, all commission claims by the auction are ended.

Most auctions/sales/flea markets I've been to that charge even the smallest fee to sell anything are lined around the venue perimeter with cars/items for sale by people who are trying to cheap out on the fee. Kinda petty if you ask me[:I]

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Was that car as nice as it looked in the pictures?? Maybe I CAN someday afford one like that after all![]
                            The car was very nice...would do well at a local car show...a little more work to go national.

There were many disappointed people after the auction of this car...they would have bought it for that price (I would have thought hard)...but weren't registered.

Fees are pretty reasonable for the buyer at this auction...$250 registration to bid, and a 5 percent buyers premium...if you buy, the registration fee is deducted from your premium fees...so the '36 President would have set you back $18,375...a pretty good deal.

The auction takes about a third of the floor...there 4 are other areas that you can buy cars directly from the owners, and a flea market in the middle that has everything from shining pitchmen to a tractor trailer full of rechromed bumpers! All inside. On Saturday, the place was packed!

http://www.acclassiccars.com/non-auction.html

Ted
                            '57 Champion

Comment

Thank you for the report, Ted. I particularly appreciate the report on the layout of the operation. I wish I had gone (6 hour drive for me), and may try for it next year. Would have been preferable to the snowplowing and roof shoveling I spent the day doing

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X