Avanti #563?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti #563?

My 83 Avanti #3771 stays parked in the open outside my co-op building. A few days ago I found this note under one of the wipers:

Love your car!

I ordered a new one when they were introduced in October 1962. Took delivery in April 1963. #563. Great car. Can't imagine what it would be worth if I had kept it.

I traded in a Studebaker Golden Hawk 1960.

Good luck!
    Signed xxxxx

The guy signed his name and included his phone number. If any of you recognize the number, know of or own the car, and want to talk to the original owner I can put you in contact with him. e-mail me at MikeValent@bellsouth.net or call me at 954-788-6301.

You know, that one note completely eplains why the Avanti proved to be a sales failure. Ordered October 62, delivered April 63. No less than a 5-month wait, maybe 6!

MikeV
    Pompano Beach, FL
    83 Avanti 377I

Neat story, However, a couple of things about the information he left. The serial number he provided is below the starting point for the first Avanti and there was no Golden Hawk in 1960.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

There were a lot of documents with my Avanti which his son passed on to me. The original owner ordered on 11/21/62. He took delivery of R-2524 on 01/31/63. The total was $4825.02 before a $775 discount. The Bellaire, Ohio dealer added seat belts for an additional $18.50. No sales tax is listed, but maybe there wasn't any at that time.

I believe in January, 1963 more Avantis were produced than any other month.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I'll give the old Avanti owner the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his memory...1963 was a long time ago.
        But my car, 2788, the 1788th Avanti built (more or less), was produced in January 1963.

It seems very unlikely that a car with a much earlier serial would have been made 4 months later.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I know that many people, including friends of mine, gave up waiting for ordered 1963 Avantis.

The five month wait for the order of a new car, especialy something special, is not that unusual. I have waited that long, and longer, for new cars ordered from other than Studebaker.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Don't ask me. I'd assumed that #563 represented the last three numbers of his car's s/n like we use the last 4 digits of the Avanti II numbers. I'm surprised he remembered any of its its serial number.

A lot of you seem to be interested in digging up the history of your Stude Avantis, so I posted the guy's note exactly as he wrote it.

MikeV
            Pompano Beach, FL
            83 Avanti 377I

Comment

Did Avantis have cowl tags like other Studes did? Maybe he's written down and/or remembered a body number instead of what we'd call the VIN now...

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Did Avantis have cowl tags like other Studes did? Maybe he's written down and/or remembered a body number instead of what we'd call the VIN now...

S.
                I thought it might be a body number but Avanti body numbers started at 1001 like the frame serial numbers did...at least every Avanti with a body number I ever saw did. Never saw a body number lower than that.

Maybe it's just a case of false memory over the years?

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Not true, body nos. on Avantis started at 1 or 100 - not sure which. My body no. is 404 for a mid Sept. '62 completion date. Body 563 would have been completed probably late Sept. or early Oct. '62. Body nos. weren't necessarily finished sequentially.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by WCP

Not true, body nos. on Avantis started at 1 or 100 - not sure which. My body no. is 404 for a mid Sept. '62 completion date. Body 563 would have been completed probably late Sept. or early Oct. '62. Body nos. weren't necessarily finished sequentially.
                    You're absolutely correct...my error. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa!

I checked my records of the #8 Bonneville Avanti which is only a few miles from me. It's serial #63R1014 and has body #63RQ114. It's absolutely possible the person from the original post mistook his body number for the serial number of the car. It's a very easy mistake to make.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MikeValent

Don't ask me. I'd assumed that #563 represented the last three numbers of his car's s/n ....
                      MikeV
                      Pompano Beach, FL
                      83 Avanti 377I
                      You're absolutely right!
                      A quick check of the production statistics at www.theavanti.com show Avanti R- 3563 as the first of 417 Avantis produced in March of 1963.
                      That would account for it being delivered in April.
                      Another mystery solved.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                      X