Fix it...or scrap it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix it...or scrap it???

I now have the cab mounted on my old canoe trailer. I figured it would make a more accessible work platform.Last week I inquired about a center transmission cover. Thanks to those who responded. I think I have that issue solved. I am posting one picture and a link to others I have if any of you are interested in commenting on whether (and how) I should continue.
    [img][/img]

http://s518.photobucket.com/albums/u...Tulsa%20Truck/
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

I think your on the right track to get the title work done befor going ahead.
    It has been my policy to get title in hand befor I dump a load of cash into a project.
    Looks worth fixing and your on to a great start.

Comment

I would say, it depends on what you are building.
      Or maybe, put this way. Is this a driver, modified,
      original, or what. If it's going to be a trailor
      queen or or show, I would regroup. If a modified
      or original driver, I have built many worse. I built
      a 55 Chev. convertible, with a frame and firewall.
      In my opinion (not worth much) it would cost too
      much to make This a really nice (not really rare)
      truck. Just me

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Any chance you can find a rust-free cab down there? Looking at the rust holes in the cab corner, the entire bottom of door rusted away, perhaps some rust through in the cab steps, and the front floors rusted away, it looks as bad as some cabs that I've seen in Minnesota that have been exposed to road salt. You could save yourself a lot of work and hastle by purchasing a better cab or an entire rust-free pickup in need of your mechanical parts. Good luck with your decision.

SnowLark
        In the middle of Minnestudea
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

John

I think you are on the right track in trying to title and then move on to the desired finish.

The reason I posted is the term scrap in the post title. Please don't scrap anything that good. If you decided to not finish and no one wants it, please post it on the HAMB. It's perfect for some of those guys. Two reasons; first it will have a chance at another life and secondly, you'll probably get more for it than scrap.

Just a thought

Bob

, ,

Comment

It don't look too bad to me, I'd do it! But, if you want a road trip, there is a good cab and body up in my area on craigslist. [)]

Dylan Wills
            [IMG][/IMG]
            '61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
            Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

To me there's no question- fix it. The job will be infinitely easier since the cab is off. From what I could see the structure is very good, it's just panels. By the time you find, buy, and transport another cab, you'll be way ahead to fix yours- not to mention, any replacement will likely have at least a little rust needing attention anyway... and as a bonus, you've saved it from being lost forever![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
              Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Classic Enterprises would have 18 guage panels for it. If you're handy you can form most yourself.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

with : time, tools, money, and perserverence....all is probable, not possible....if you don't have 3 of the 4.....sell it to someone who does, and go after that Craig's list cab...GL

Comment

I might have used too harsh a word with "scrap." However, it is going to be a challenge regardless. The chassis is good. Since it was a flatbed, there is no pick-up bed to worry with. My inclination is to set the 224 and non-overdrive tranny aside and install a late model V8 along with a manual overdrive transmission. I already have a truck good enough for shows...so this one will probably get a cheap enamel paint job, false patina, and some sort of commercial company sign. I have enough of the wood bed rails to use as a pattern for rebuilding a new wood floored flat bed. Rather than using the "Rat-Rod" designation...I prefer to use the term "Warrior" for such functional rebuilt drivers. At my age, I just hope to stay healthy enough to enjoy the work and live long enough to see it completed.

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                    SDC member since 1975
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                    X