1958 Comander - $500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Comander - $500

I've been watching this for a while on CL and the price has dropped again and he's put up a couple of new pictures. I've been in touch with the seller (his name is Joe) on a few different odds-n-ends and he seems like a straight-forward guy with lots of old iron to get rid of. He promises me that none of his cars will ever go to the crusher, but I'd still like to see someone end up with it so it can see the light-of-day once again! My wife says if he ends up offering it for the taking, THEN I can go get it (and fair enough as we just bought our first house and JUST found out we're expecting our first born)! 'Till then, if anybody wants me to try to find out more info and possible snag better pictures, I'll be happy to try to help out.

Here's the link(s):

new -
    http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/car/273022269.html

old -
    http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/car/260275106.html

Also, I have no clue how to go about getting a title for it here in NV. Anybody have experience?

This is NOT a Commander--- Champions and Scotsman were the only two door sedans in '58. It'd still be fun to have though- I've only ever seen two others like it, and one of them was worse off then this one is!!! The other is an automatic...

StudeDave [8D]
    V/P San Diego County SDC
    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
    '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

This is NOT a Commander--- Champions and Scotsman were the only two door sedans in '58. It'd still be fun to have though- I've only ever seen two others like it, and one of them was worse off then this one is!!! The other is an automatic...

StudeDave [8D]
      V/P San Diego County SDC
      San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
      '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
      '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks Dave... my status as a newbie showing here. As I searched for info I couldn't find a Commander sedan, just hardtops, but I don't have the first hand knowledge.

How difficult would it be to find trim pieces for something like this? It's a desert car and I'm assuming most of the body is usable from the poor pictures. Drivetrain is easy enough to come by. Glass is supposed to be good from what the owner has told me. The interior would probably need gutted from heat and sun damage, but it could be done.

Oh, the thoughts in my head...

Comment

Thanks Dave... my status as a newbie showing here. As I searched for info I couldn't find a Commander sedan, just hardtops, but I don't have the first hand knowledge.

How difficult would it be to find trim pieces for something like this? It's a desert car and I'm assuming most of the body is usable from the poor pictures. Drivetrain is easy enough to come by. Glass is supposed to be good from what the owner has told me. The interior would probably need gutted from heat and sun damage, but it could be done.

Oh, the thoughts in my head...

Comment

Some of the trim could be found on 2 door (and maybe even 4 door in some cases!!!) cars of previous years~ the hard part is figuring out which parts off which cars, and then finding said cars!!! A parts book would help you find out with the first part. If you ask me- I think it'd look good with little or no trim at all, '57 fenders, and...

I've built this car as a mild custom in may head many many times. There's one cruisin' around Canada right now that started as a Scotsman that's very close to my vision. It looks just like this:

http://racingstudebakers.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=74&pos=4

StudeDave [8D]
            V/P San Diego County SDC
            San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
            '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
            '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
            '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
            '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Some of the trim could be found on 2 door (and maybe even 4 door in some cases!!!) cars of previous years~ the hard part is figuring out which parts off which cars, and then finding said cars!!! A parts book would help you find out with the first part. If you ask me- I think it'd look good with little or no trim at all, '57 fenders, and...

I've built this car as a mild custom in may head many many times. There's one cruisin' around Canada right now that started as a Scotsman that's very close to my vision. It looks just like this:

http://racingstudebakers.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=74&pos=4

StudeDave [8D]
              V/P San Diego County SDC
              San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
              '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
              '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I forgot to mention- here's what that car would look like when it's put back together. A factory photo from 1958:

http://racingstudebakers.com/copperm...album=74&pos=8

StudeDave [8D]
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I forgot to mention- here's what that car would look like when it's put back together. A factory photo from 1958:

http://racingstudebakers.com/copperm...album=74&pos=8

StudeDave [8D]
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Be a bit more realistic, Gary. If kromer buys it, I'll give him $250 just for the fins off of it. Then I'd gladly pay $150 each for the front fenders.
                    It's worth EVERY penny of the $500 he wants!

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Be a bit more realistic, Gary. If kromer buys it, I'll give him $250 just for the fins off of it. Then I'd gladly pay $150 each for the front fenders.
                      It's worth EVERY penny of the $500 he wants!

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I wish I could save that thing. But it would HAVE to be for ME (there's little to no profit in it, so the notion of "flipping it" is out) and I'm not adopting any more cars/projects - period!
                        There's one that's in better shape and much more complete that's within an hour of me and I've made foolish mention that I'd like to save it from the state of disrepair it's currently in. Fact is, if I'd said the right words about 2 weeks ago, I probably could've owned it. However, the current price on it is more than I think it's worth even if I DID want it and that made it easy for me to beg off...... for now.

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I wish I could save that thing. But it would HAVE to be for ME (there's little to no profit in it, so the notion of "flipping it" is out) and I'm not adopting any more cars/projects - period!
                          There's one that's in better shape and much more complete that's within an hour of me and I've made foolish mention that I'd like to save it from the state of disrepair it's currently in. Fact is, if I'd said the right words about 2 weeks ago, I probably could've owned it. However, the current price on it is more than I think it's worth even if I DID want it and that made it easy for me to beg off...... for now.

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                            and I'm not adopting any more cars/projects - period!
                            Hmmmm - didn't you say the same thing before you bought the station wagon, Mr. Biggs?<BOSEG>

I have just stopped making statements like that, because everytime I do, I end up with another project!! Let's see, tax refund is on the way......I did see several interesting '53/'54 Commander sedans on eBay......

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                              and I'm not adopting any more cars/projects - period!
                              Hmmmm - didn't you say the same thing before you bought the station wagon, Mr. Biggs?<BOSEG>

I have just stopped making statements like that, because everytime I do, I end up with another project!! Let's see, tax refund is on the way......I did see several interesting '53/'54 Commander sedans on eBay......

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
                              X