No announcement yet.

'60 Lark on the way to Bob...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bams, I was just curious, what happened to that 57 wagon you had? Has there been any progress on it? Any pictures?

Comment

Bams, I was just curious, what happened to that 57 wagon you had? Has there been any progress on it? Any pictures?

Comment

Well, she made it here last night (Sat. 2/10) about 5:30 P.M.; here's the story:

Monty called Sat. AM and said he was in Cleveland OH and would be at my place in the afternoon. Called again about 4:00 to see how far he was from me (about 60 miles). Although we have received more than 100" of snow in the last week (Yeah, you read that right!![:0]) all roads were clear and dry and the sun was out all day. Being that I lost my big driveway and entire parking lot to snow this week, I sent him to the local truck stop right next to Interstate 81 to unload her.

Well, you guessed it- about 4:30 the Lake Effect suddenly exploded again! (known as a snow burst)... I immediately went to plowing, and waited for Monty's call. He did call about 5:30 sounding like a deer-in-the-headlights [V] By now a new 18" had fallen in one hour [B)] Upon arrival I met Monty (Great guy![^]) who had been stuck at the fuel island- a slight uphill grade- b/c every time he'd get a little momentum snowmobiles would cut him off and make him hit the brake!

So we unload her and I finally get my first in-person look at her[:X] We try to start her- absolutely refuses to fire... pulled the air cleaner- choke's shut... I produced my jump pack and connect... Monty produces a can of starting fluid and promptly drops and breaks the nozzle off... I jammed a pen in it and got a little snort in the carb- still not one sputter... of course, all the time it's snowing like H...

Meanwhile, my dear sweet Linda is sitting in the warmth and comfort of my AWD Caravan... so I get this bright idea... I ask her to just get behind the Lark with the van and give me a push- should start right up [)] Being the great sport she is, she agrees... I say my goodbyes to Monty, and off we go across the 5-acre parking lot, dodging whizzing snowmobiles and criss-crossing truck/snowmobile trailer combos who can't be troubled to look or slow down any... I hit the wiper switch and the driver's side blade decides to part company... threw it on the seat, jumped in, and proceeded. We hit the road, I wave Linda to pick it up, stick it in second, and let out the clutch... she spins for about 10 seconds, then coughs, snorts, and fires![8D] I dump it into first and off I go!!

Went about a half-mile and pulled into the gas station... stopped at the pump, hit neutral, and let off the gas... thought it stalled, but it actually was purring so low and quiet, you really had to listen to hear it! Gassed up and hit the road...

The 4 miles home went just fine- she really wanted to show off the TT (SO glad I had that!) and play in the snow; but I wanted to just get her inside- and did so without incident!

Snow or not, I just am in LOVE with this silly looking thing! Monty had a green 'Cuda on board, and said that couldn't hold a candle to the Lark in his eyes... I told him I had a soft spot for homely, unloved old styles, to which he strongly disagreed!! He thinks she's sharp- not exactly how I define a pea-soup green 60 Lark Wagon... I had hoped for lots of pics of her coming off the truck at my place, pics of Monty and I next to her, etc... but only ended up with a few lame, dark, snowy shots b/c the flash mostly just keyed on the large snowflakes falling at the time...

My sincere thanks to Dick for a worry-free transaction; to Peg's Trucking and Monty's Auto Transport for a safe transport and delivery; and to our good friend Murphy of Murphy's Law- without him the car would have been here a week earlier, when there was literally NO snow to speak of, and everything I had was clear, and the whole thing would have been a piece-o'-cake!

Come to think of it- what fun is that?

Bob

P.S. As of Sun. AM, we have a fresh 30" of snow- which brings the total to- SONOFA......................

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Well, she made it here last night (Sat. 2/10) about 5:30 P.M.; here's the story:

Monty called Sat. AM and said he was in Cleveland OH and would be at my place in the afternoon. Called again about 4:00 to see how far he was from me (about 60 miles). Although we have received more than 100" of snow in the last week (Yeah, you read that right!![:0]) all roads were clear and dry and the sun was out all day. Being that I lost my big driveway and entire parking lot to snow this week, I sent him to the local truck stop right next to Interstate 81 to unload her.

Well, you guessed it- about 4:30 the Lake Effect suddenly exploded again! (known as a snow burst)... I immediately went to plowing, and waited for Monty's call. He did call about 5:30 sounding like a deer-in-the-headlights [V] By now a new 18" had fallen in one hour [B)] Upon arrival I met Monty (Great guy![^]) who had been stuck at the fuel island- a slight uphill grade- b/c every time he'd get a little momentum snowmobiles would cut him off and make him hit the brake!

So we unload her and I finally get my first in-person look at her[:X] We try to start her- absolutely refuses to fire... pulled the air cleaner- choke's shut... I produced my jump pack and connect... Monty produces a can of starting fluid and promptly drops and breaks the nozzle off... I jammed a pen in it and got a little snort in the carb- still not one sputter... of course, all the time it's snowing like H...

Meanwhile, my dear sweet Linda is sitting in the warmth and comfort of my AWD Caravan... so I get this bright idea... I ask her to just get behind the Lark with the van and give me a push- should start right up [)] Being the great sport she is, she agrees... I say my goodbyes to Monty, and off we go across the 5-acre parking lot, dodging whizzing snowmobiles and criss-crossing truck/snowmobile trailer combos who can't be troubled to look or slow down any... I hit the wiper switch and the driver's side blade decides to part company... threw it on the seat, jumped in, and proceeded. We hit the road, I wave Linda to pick it up, stick it in second, and let out the clutch... she spins for about 10 seconds, then coughs, snorts, and fires![8D] I dump it into first and off I go!!

Went about a half-mile and pulled into the gas station... stopped at the pump, hit neutral, and let off the gas... thought it stalled, but it actually was purring so low and quiet, you really had to listen to hear it! Gassed up and hit the road...

The 4 miles home went just fine- she really wanted to show off the TT (SO glad I had that!) and play in the snow; but I wanted to just get her inside- and did so without incident!

Snow or not, I just am in LOVE with this silly looking thing! Monty had a green 'Cuda on board, and said that couldn't hold a candle to the Lark in his eyes... I told him I had a soft spot for homely, unloved old styles, to which he strongly disagreed!! He thinks she's sharp- not exactly how I define a pea-soup green 60 Lark Wagon... I had hoped for lots of pics of her coming off the truck at my place, pics of Monty and I next to her, etc... but only ended up with a few lame, dark, snowy shots b/c the flash mostly just keyed on the large snowflakes falling at the time...

My sincere thanks to Dick for a worry-free transaction; to Peg's Trucking and Monty's Auto Transport for a safe transport and delivery; and to our good friend Murphy of Murphy's Law- without him the car would have been here a week earlier, when there was literally NO snow to speak of, and everything I had was clear, and the whole thing would have been a piece-o'-cake!

Come to think of it- what fun is that?

Bob

P.S. As of Sun. AM, we have a fresh 30" of snow- which brings the total to- SONOFA......................

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Hey, Bob

We're having Winter, too.

It's clear, but we haven't had a day in the 60's for two weeks.[)][)][)]

Even had to let the faucets drip (precautionary move I've learned since moving to the sticks in North Carolina) a few nights to make sure the water keeps flowing from my well.

Glad to here your Stude arrived with minor problems. Keep her warm until I see you in South Bend.[8D][8D]

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
            53 Starliner Hardtop
            Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Hey, Bob

We're having Winter, too.

It's clear, but we haven't had a day in the 60's for two weeks.[)][)][)]

Even had to let the faucets drip (precautionary move I've learned since moving to the sticks in North Carolina) a few nights to make sure the water keeps flowing from my well.

Glad to here your Stude arrived with minor problems. Keep her warm until I see you in South Bend.[8D][8D]

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
              53 Starliner Hardtop
              Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Glad to here she's home safe, Bob. Great story! You're right. If it was a piece of cake, you wouldn't have a good story to tell [^].

I dunno about the starting thing. Sounds like the carb float bowl went dry. Maybe the bouncing en route and the angle it rode at?

I was discussing winter driving with Monte. He told me that he has never chained up in 30 years of hauling cars across the northern US (and he lives in Kalispell, Montana...they get just a little snow there ). He said that if it was bad enough to need chains, it was too bad to drive and he parked it. Pretty solid thinking (IMHO).

Monte's a "car guy" too. He listed the big block Chevelles and el Caminos he has. Quite a collection. Some big bucks there.

Post pictures of the unloading and keep us informed of the progress getting it ready for South Bend.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Glad to here she's home safe, Bob. Great story! You're right. If it was a piece of cake, you wouldn't have a good story to tell [^].

I dunno about the starting thing. Sounds like the carb float bowl went dry. Maybe the bouncing en route and the angle it rode at?

I was discussing winter driving with Monte. He told me that he has never chained up in 30 years of hauling cars across the northern US (and he lives in Kalispell, Montana...they get just a little snow there ). He said that if it was bad enough to need chains, it was too bad to drive and he parked it. Pretty solid thinking (IMHO).

Monte's a "car guy" too. He listed the big block Chevelles and el Caminos he has. Quite a collection. Some big bucks there.

Post pictures of the unloading and keep us informed of the progress getting it ready for South Bend.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Only got a couple really bad pics of the process; will post them on this thread when I'm able...

As for the starting, I'm guessing possible ice in the float bowl- or maybe electrical, since the entire underhood area had a coating of snow when it got here [xx(]

All's well; she's out of the weather for good now (unless it's still snowing when I head out for SB in June...) When I get caught up with snow-related stuff, I'll be able to give her a decent once (or twice) over... and of course, there'll be updates! Gotta see what I'll need to look for at York for it, y'know!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Only got a couple really bad pics of the process; will post them on this thread when I'm able...

As for the starting, I'm guessing possible ice in the float bowl- or maybe electrical, since the entire underhood area had a coating of snow when it got here [xx(]

All's well; she's out of the weather for good now (unless it's still snowing when I head out for SB in June...) When I get caught up with snow-related stuff, I'll be able to give her a decent once (or twice) over... and of course, there'll be updates! Gotta see what I'll need to look for at York for it, y'know!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

BTW, Dick- What's the warranty on your buff job? Had snow all over it, which was not evident in any of the pics in your listing......

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

BTW, Dick- What's the warranty on your buff job? Had snow all over it, which was not evident in any of the pics in your listing......

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Actually, the entire car did come with a 2,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. It expired about when Monte was passing through Chicago .

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Actually, the entire car did come with a 2,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. It expired about when Monte was passing through Chicago .

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X