Making a Second Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Second Attempt

I have to travel about 50 miles north of here and I'll be going past this car, and if the guy is there, I may make a second attempt at prying it from him. Last year he wanted $2500 for this car. It's starting to sink into the Florida sand. Typical southern car with rusty body, especially around the rail gutters and rear fender attachment points. But the car appears complete, including the interior with radio. It has a 226 CI Big Six, 3-speed w/OD. The left side grille is broken. The doors and floor look good from the little I could see of it. What do you guys think it's worth as a project car? It's a '41 Commander Land Cruiser Skyway. Thoughts? I said I'd never do a rusty car again, but this car just won't leave my mind. Of course it doesn't help when the first picture is what's on my desk top...[)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2161.27)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

I think you are VERY brave!

Chip
    '63 Cruiser daily driver
    '57 Packard wagon on the road!
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Before making an offer, I think you should pull it up onto a driveway and get a better look at it from underneath as I think you will find a lot of rust.

SnowLark
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I understand the rust risk. I know what may lurk. Not worried about it. My question is what would you pay for it seeing what you can. If you bought it as a parts car, what value would you assign to it.

I have a idea in my head and I'll share it, but I didn't want to taint someone's thoughts. There are no wrong answers. 47 lookers and two that didn't toss a dollar amount. I know the car is only worth $20-$25K restored. But what do you think it's worth where it sits?

Come on guys, I won't be insulted and as far as I know, the owner doesn't even know this site exists. Toss me a bone here .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Tom, I try to never discourage someone from restoring a car, but for that price.....well. Sit down and see what a 4 door that is completely restored (or at least in good condition) is worth. Then figure out how much money you are going to spend just getting this car on the road. I think you will be way upside down. If you are ready for a project, let me know because there are a couple of cars down here that can be had for less money.

Doug
          Venice, Florida
          1950 Champion
          9G F1

Comment

Doug,

First, I don't plan on giving him any where close to $2500. I'm hoping a year has softened him up a bit.

I really have a... a... a... sorry, I can't think of another way to put it; I have a stiffy for 1941 Land Cruiser Skyways. It can be a President or Commander, but it needs to be a '41 as listed.

I know this is a project, and I've done a project that looked almost as bad and almost broke even on it. But flipping it when done isn't necessarilly in the plans. I just really like these cars. And actually, parts are easier to get for this car that the last project.

Toss a number at me Doug...

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Pay no more than what you think its worth as parts. Then if you change your mind about it later, you're still not really out anything.
              If you do get it, you'll put more into than its worth of course. So what, you wanted it. I like 41's a lot. (But I like the non-skyway better.)

www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

Okay, here it is Tom....$1000 would be generous, perhaps $800 is a fair price? Keep in mind that I am partial to 1963 Larks so my opinion has little value. [8D]

SnowLark
                In the middle of Minnestudea
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

At last, one brave soul. I'm patial to '64's so this is why I ask.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

If he would help winch it on my trailer...I wouldn't charge him much more than $150 to haul it off.

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                    SDC member since 1975
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

No more than $1000 and I'm taking into account your fondness for it.
                      Were it me ...no more than $500 and adding in time and expense to go
                      get it fattens up your total cost.
                      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

As suggested, take a good look at it on firm ground and make an offer.

The car is rare and deserves a good home.
                        Even if you don't finish it, you might save it for a future buyer who will.

Once it's gone...it's never coming back.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Crushed it's worth to him what, $250? Point out to him that it's depreciating as it sits there, he's had no buyers for it and if he called a junk yard to haul it away, they might give him $150, or $250 less cost of hauling. To you, in parts it's probably got a usable transmission. period. Everything else will need work to sell.

I'd start at $500, if he will dicker, do so, but keep it down. Explain to him the realities of parting out or restoring a car.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                          Tom Bredehoft
                          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                          ....On the road, again....
                          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                          All Indiana built cars

Comment

I would guess that it would have $500-$600 worth of good parts on it. That said, no matter what your restoration abilities, I would think you would be money ahead if you could find a better example to restore. 1941 Commander sedans aren't THAT rare, especially in that condition.

1950 Champion
                            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                            Holdrege NE
                            John
                            1950 Champion
                            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                            Holdrege NE

Comment

$250. to start up to $350 but thats it. Be prepared to walk away leave your number if he wants to sell it he will call if not. Then it wasn't meant to be.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                              Gus 1958 Transtar
                              The Prez 1955 President State
                              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                              Fresno,Ca
                              Mabel 1949 Champion
                              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                              Gus 1958 Transtar
                              The Prez 1955 President State
                              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk