Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Hutchins
    replied
    I think that it looks good as a coupe. I prefer the hardtop, but the coupe is nice.

Bob

Robert L. Hutchins

Leave a comment:

• Johnnywiffer
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by klifton1

The one I saw, even had the Speedster dash. It was several years ago and I think from Mich. or Wi.
    Sorry, I mis-spoke when I said it had a Prez dash. Here is the dash on this one:

But, whatEVER you DO wanna call it, semantically speaking, it ain't no Speedster. [8)]

John

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    How about calling it a "TRIBUTE" car.

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    quote:
    Hey Jon I'm a Saab 95/96 fan as well, but I sort of like the lemon/lime color scheme. Still I am a little like 52-fan in that too much of a good thing can be overwhelming.
    How about painting a Saab 96 Lemon - Lime. Now THAT would get some attention...[:0][xx(]

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    I wonder what other fruit colors would look good on the Speedster? Perhaps Cherry-Orange, or Blueberry-Grape, or Raspberry-Grape?

SnowLark
    In the middle of Minnestudea

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    For what it's worth, I'm with Gordr on this, he hits the nail on the head.

I'd call the lemon-lime coupe a just a modified coupe.
    I'm guessing that's how it would be judged at club events.
    It's no harm, no foul. Because it's clearly a coupe, everyone will know it's not a real Speedster. The only folks who might be "taken" would be an impuse buyer on the internet or at an auction. At the prices Speedsters go for, I don't think there are many uninformed buyers.
    Ninty-nine point nine percent of Speedster buyers would have done enough research to know that factory Speedsters were hardtops. Heck, I know that and I'm a new guy who has never even set foot in one.

I [u]love</u> lemon-line Speedsters...that would be high on my list of desired post-war Studes (along with an Avanti, a 57 GH, and a 64 Wagonaire).

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Sdude

I love two tone cars but I have never been able to warm up to the Lemon-Lime.

Is it a personal preference or an aquired taste? Who am I to talk.... I like the looks of a Saab96. Didn't always - it grew on me.

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
    Hey Jon I'm a Saab 95/96 fan as well, but I sort of like the lemon/lime color scheme. Still I am a little like 52-fan in that too much of a good thing can be overwhelming.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    I'd go with "phantom", not "fake" for that car, too. "Phantom" is well-recognized in hotrod community for an attempt to craft an example of a particular body style that a manufacturer never sold, (but could have readily built). Phantoms might have existed as a styling study, or as a prototype, but were never seen on the dealership floor. In the Studebaker world, a '53-'54 Starliner convertible would certainly qualify as a phantom. Similarly, a C-body coupe all dressed up with Speedster trim and accessories could be called a phantom. Studebaker could have easily produced and sold such a car. They could have called it a Commander Special, to distinguish it from the Speedster in the brochures. But they didn't.

A "fake," on the other hand, implies a copy of a real car, that exists or existed, and was sold to the public. I would avoid using the word "fake" to describe a car unless it was being offered for sale as the real thing, i.e. the seller is attempting to defraud someone by selling them a "fake" car. One could make a fake Speedster from a Commander hardtop, and try to sell it as a Speedster, and that would constitute fraud, IMHO.

We need to add a third category: "clone." For the purposes of this discussion, I'll define a clone as a faithful replica of a model or type that exists, but is very scarce and expensive. A copy of an R3 Avanti would be a perfect example. What distinguishes a clone from a fake is that the builder of a clone doesn't make any representation at all that his car is the "real thing". It's an acknowledged copy, and he's proud of the fact. If he sells the car, it's explicitly sold as a clone.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Leave a comment:

• klifton1
    replied
    The one I saw, even had the Speedster dash. It was several years ago and I think from Mich. or Wi.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    63 Avanti R2
    63 Lark R2

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    The word fake sorta grated on my nerves too. I don't think the builder of this car was trying to fool anybody. This is more of a phantom design. I thought is was a sharp version of what the factory could have done.
    RE The lemon/lime combo. I was blown away the first time I saw a Speedster with those colors and it is still a good way to get maximum attention, but it's like overeating your favorite food. The next time you are not as excited about it.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas

Leave a comment:

• Johnnywiffer
    replied
    quote:...I really hate to see the word fake even in the same post as this car...

Well, (My great-aunt said, "...never begin a sentence with 'well' unless you're talking about water...") while it does LOOK a lot like a Speedster, what would you call a car that has most Speedster atributes but is a model "C" with a Prez dash?

Phony? False? Counterfeit? Replica? Sham? Bogus? A "pseudo" Speedster? Take your choice or make up your own.

Any way you slice it, it ain't no Speedster. "Ask the man who owns one!"

John

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

quote:Originally posted by 14x7

Aren't all 55 speedsters k bodys ? It certainly appears that way.
    All but this one [)] (Remember this FAKE Speedster on Ebay a few months ago?)

John
    I really hate to see the word fake even in the same post as this car. It is a President coupe with Speedster trim. I think interior too. I would have done the same thing if I had the parts. Actually I prefer it to the speedster. Dave Parsons from near York Pa brought a car like this or it's twin to a York swap meet one year. He also owned a red T cab pickup. Any body know Dave. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    Less than 10 years ago at a York meet I saw either that coupe or one x atly that color with whitewalls same size and spokes like the pictured one. A dead on twin if not the same one. It was then owned by a fellow living near York. His name was Dave Parsons. He also owned a nice red T cab pickup. Any body here know him? jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.

Leave a comment:

• Michidan
    replied
    I remember that C body speedster tribute. One of the best phantom ideas, and nicely executed.
    I think it takes a Studebaker person to even notice the differences between the C and the K! Most people are too blown away by styling awesomeness to catch the details.

www.studebakerhardtop.com

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Just for the halibut, here's one on eBay currently:

http://tinyurl.com/y8jwn29

I've always loved them- all color combos, especially the lemon/lime; all that brightwork; and of course the really cool name[8D] What I REALLY don't like is the interior pattern[xx(]

I'd like to have one and keep it completely stock-appearing, but make and performance upgrade possible without altering it's appearance- thus making it live up to it's name[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Leave a comment:

Working...
X