No announcement yet.

55 speedster all are k bodys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The word fake sorta grated on my nerves too. I don't think the builder of this car was trying to fool anybody. This is more of a phantom design. I thought is was a sharp version of what the factory could have done.
    RE The lemon/lime combo. I was blown away the first time I saw a Speedster with those colors and it is still a good way to get maximum attention, but it's like overeating your favorite food. The next time you are not as excited about it.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

The one I saw, even had the Speedster dash. It was several years ago and I think from Mich. or Wi.
      Klif

55 Speedster
      63 Avanti R2
      63 Lark R2
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

I'd go with "phantom", not "fake" for that car, too. "Phantom" is well-recognized in hotrod community for an attempt to craft an example of a particular body style that a manufacturer never sold, (but could have readily built). Phantoms might have existed as a styling study, or as a prototype, but were never seen on the dealership floor. In the Studebaker world, a '53-'54 Starliner convertible would certainly qualify as a phantom. Similarly, a C-body coupe all dressed up with Speedster trim and accessories could be called a phantom. Studebaker could have easily produced and sold such a car. They could have called it a Commander Special, to distinguish it from the Speedster in the brochures. But they didn't.

A "fake," on the other hand, implies a copy of a real car, that exists or existed, and was sold to the public. I would avoid using the word "fake" to describe a car unless it was being offered for sale as the real thing, i.e. the seller is attempting to defraud someone by selling them a "fake" car. One could make a fake Speedster from a Commander hardtop, and try to sell it as a Speedster, and that would constitute fraud, IMHO.

We need to add a third category: "clone." For the purposes of this discussion, I'll define a clone as a faithful replica of a model or type that exists, but is very scarce and expensive. A copy of an R3 Avanti would be a perfect example. What distinguishes a clone from a fake is that the builder of a clone doesn't make any representation at all that his car is the "real thing". It's an acknowledged copy, and he's proud of the fact. If he sells the car, it's explicitly sold as a clone.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Sdude

I love two tone cars but I have never been able to warm up to the Lemon-Lime.

Is it a personal preference or an aquired taste? Who am I to talk.... I like the looks of a Saab96. Didn't always - it grew on me.

Jon Stalnaker
          Editor, Hawk Talks
          Karel Staple Chapter SDC
          Hey Jon I'm a Saab 95/96 fan as well, but I sort of like the lemon/lime color scheme. Still I am a little like 52-fan in that too much of a good thing can be overwhelming.

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

For what it's worth, I'm with Gordr on this, he hits the nail on the head.

I'd call the lemon-lime coupe a just a modified coupe.
            I'm guessing that's how it would be judged at club events.
            It's no harm, no foul. Because it's clearly a coupe, everyone will know it's not a real Speedster. The only folks who might be "taken" would be an impuse buyer on the internet or at an auction. At the prices Speedsters go for, I don't think there are many uninformed buyers.
            Ninty-nine point nine percent of Speedster buyers would have done enough research to know that factory Speedsters were hardtops. Heck, I know that and I'm a new guy who has never even set foot in one.

I [u]love</u> lemon-line Speedsters...that would be high on my list of desired post-war Studes (along with an Avanti, a 57 GH, and a 64 Wagonaire).

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I wonder what other fruit colors would look good on the Speedster? Perhaps Cherry-Orange, or Blueberry-Grape, or Raspberry-Grape?

SnowLark
              In the middle of Minnestudea
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:
                Hey Jon I'm a Saab 95/96 fan as well, but I sort of like the lemon/lime color scheme. Still I am a little like 52-fan in that too much of a good thing can be overwhelming.
                How about painting a Saab 96 Lemon - Lime. Now THAT would get some attention...[:0][xx(]

Jon Stalnaker
                Editor, Hawk Talks
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

How about calling it a "TRIBUTE" car.

Jon Stalnaker
                  Editor, Hawk Talks
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by klifton1

The one I saw, even had the Speedster dash. It was several years ago and I think from Mich. or Wi.
                    Sorry, I mis-spoke when I said it had a Prez dash. Here is the dash on this one:

But, whatEVER you DO wanna call it, semantically speaking, it ain't no Speedster. [8)]

John

Comment

I think that it looks good as a coupe. I prefer the hardtop, but the coupe is nice.

Bob

Robert L. Hutchins

Comment

Working...
                      X