This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Digs for my Lark

Construction has just begun on a new garage for my Lark. The poor little gapper had to sit outside all summer. Our attached garage was converted to living space to accomodate elderly parents so work on the Stude was put on hold. I am constructing a "A-Style" steel building which I found was much cheaper than a traditional garage. A plus to the steel building is there aren't any beams spanning across the garage- a plus if I decide to install a hoist in the future. Hopefully it will be built, heated, wired and insulated by the end of autumn. Here's what it looked like today:
    The footings are ready for the town inspector. They hope to pour tomorrow. Notice the Lark sneaking into the photo:

The building will be 20'X32'. I wanted a shop about 4 times that size but our budget brought me back to reality

I have next week off so if the weather permits, I will put my giant Meccano set together. You can see the pieces in the photos. I invested in a cordless impact wrench to speed things along.
    I'm looking forward to getting the car back inside and continuing the restoration. I was also getting tired of people knocking on my door asking "Wanna sell that old car?" [xx(]
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Looks good ! 20X32 ain't too shabby!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Looks good ! 20X32 ain't too shabby!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The footings are ready for the town inspector. They hope to pour tomorrow. Notice the Lark sneaking into the photo:

I hope its not too late to insulate the gravel base and install some oxy-barrier pex lines in there should you decide to heat it!!!

Craig

Comment

I hope its not too late to insulate the gravel base and install some oxy-barrier pex lines in there should you decide to heat it!!!

Craig

Comment

Can tell Craig is from Alberta...they don't do that here .....southern Ontario is the banana belt ya know

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Can tell Craig is from Alberta...they don't do that here .....southern Ontario is the banana belt ya know

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by 2R5

Well, I'm thinking about the 'banana belt' closest to here....Interior British Columbia that is.. Right now, I can sell out here, and move there mortgage free. But I still would install in-floor heating if I do build a shop out there.

Craig.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by 2R5

Well, I'm thinking about the 'banana belt' closest to here....Interior British Columbia that is.. Right now, I can sell out here, and move there mortgage free. But I still would install in-floor heating if I do build a shop out there.

Craig.

Comment

Budget wouldnt allow a heated floor and any plumbing would require yet another permit. I have been "permitted" to death as the town felt I was on a flood plain. That meant a permit from our local "conservation authority" who also was certain I was on a flood plain. Two months later and a large bill from an engineering firm revealed the flood plane edge is about 20 feet from my property [}]. Oh, but the Conservation Authority said I was still in their jurisdiction which meant paying $350 for a permit from them BEFORE I could get a permit from the town ($250). Do we really ever own our property??
                    I plan to use the spray in insulation and will use the 20foot radiant tube heater I had in my old garage. It did a nice job. The only downside is now I'll have to trundle out in the snow to get from the house to the garage in the winter.

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Budget wouldnt allow a heated floor and any plumbing would require yet another permit. I have been "permitted" to death as the town felt I was on a flood plain. That meant a permit from our local "conservation authority" who also was certain I was on a flood plain. Two months later and a large bill from an engineering firm revealed the flood plane edge is about 20 feet from my property [}]. Oh, but the Conservation Authority said I was still in their jurisdiction which meant paying $350 for a permit from them BEFORE I could get a permit from the town ($250). Do we really ever own our property??
                      I plan to use the spray in insulation and will use the 20foot radiant tube heater I had in my old garage. It did a nice job. The only downside is now I'll have to trundle out in the snow to get from the house to the garage in the winter.

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Here is my thinking. Whether you do go for it or not is up to you. But you only have ONE chance to install it. At 12" centers, you will require approximately 750' of 1/2 oxygen barrier tubing. At .55 cents a foot, you'd be looking at under $500 to at least have it in place. (The insulation you will have to shop around for) That way, if you do decide in the future to install a boiler, the pipe is ready to go. I know I would if I were building a slab-on-grade shop.

Craig

Comment

Here is my thinking. Whether you do go for it or not is up to you. But you only have ONE chance to install it. At 12" centers, you will require approximately 750' of 1/2 oxygen barrier tubing. At .55 cents a foot, you'd be looking at under $500 to at least have it in place. (The insulation you will have to shop around for) That way, if you do decide in the future to install a boiler, the pipe is ready to go. I know I would if I were building a slab-on-grade shop.

Craig

Comment

Well, the concrete was poured last week. Today we began to build. I got a good 8hrs in before the rain started. We got the baseplates installed and three arches up. The first three take the longest as you assemble them with the bolts finger tight, then check for plumb, level and square and then go back and tighten the bolts. Thank God I bought a cordless impact wrench. There are over 3000 bolts in this building!

If the weather holds, it should be complete by Wednesday. Next comes the garage door, electricity, natural gas, insulation.....
                            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Well, the concrete was poured last week. Today we began to build. I got a good 8hrs in before the rain started. We got the baseplates installed and three arches up. The first three take the longest as you assemble them with the bolts finger tight, then check for plumb, level and square and then go back and tighten the bolts. Thank God I bought a cordless impact wrench. There are over 3000 bolts in this building!

If the weather holds, it should be complete by Wednesday. Next comes the garage door, electricity, natural gas, insulation.....
                              Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X