Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

53-54 K model stainless trim question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53-54 K model stainless trim question???

Friend of mine owns a 53-54 K model . The trim across the cowl and door-window sill is stainless. Is this proper for a 53-54 as I have heard that it was only available in stainless for the 55 model year? There is no stainless trim on the rear quarter window sills and looks like to me that Studebaker would have trimmed that area also. Can you help? thank you jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Friend of mine owns a 53-54 K model . The trim across the cowl and door-window sill is stainless. Is this proper for a 53-54 as I have heard that it was only available in stainless for the 55 model year? There is no stainless trim on the rear quarter window sills and looks like to me that Studebaker would have trimmed that area also. Can you help? thank you jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
    The stainless steel beltline moldings were a '55 'C' (never 'K') only item.

I think.

Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Those mouldings are pot metal on '53s and '54s. Someone must have replaced the poor quality pot metal with later mouldings.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

That is what I figured. I'm just wondering if there are supposed to be rear 1/4 window outside mouldings to match {in stainless}. If so, any body got a pair? Gettin there. Thanks guys. jimmijim

sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

My 54K came with complete stainless around the windows and not a pot metal piece in sight. It was an original car and came with the stainless. I was told it was an upgrade package from Studebaker. Just for reference.

Not the best of shots but you can see the trim it has.

Bob

Comment

Bob from your pictures the cad looks like there is no molding under the windshield and along the top of the door and at the rear Qt. window base, that is the ones he is talking about, correct me if I am wrong does your car have them there?

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
            canbstudebakers-
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Bob

Now I see what they are talking about. All that you see is what was there.

I continue to be less than an amateur on this forum.

Bob

Comment

Bob,
                Your Starliner was the same factory color as my black '54 hot rod. Ontario blue over Saffron yellow. Pretty flashy! [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

Bob

Now I see what they are talking about. All that you see is what was there.

I continue to be less than an amateur on this forum.

Bob

We are all hear to learn and pass off information. jimmijim

Comment

quote:I'm just wondering if there are supposed to be rear 1/4 window outside mouldings to match
                    Yes, the stainless covered the exact same area as the previous pot metal. I might actually have those pieces. If you're interested, I'll see if I can dig them up.

Steve Hudson
                    The Dalles, Oregon
                    1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                    1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
                    1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
                    1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
                    The Dalles, Oregon
                    1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                    1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

I assume that you are talking about the MODIFIED '54 K that I used to own. The beltline was changed from pot metal to stainless before I purchased the car. There were a lot of non-stock items on that resto-rod. I have owned many of both stock and modified '53-'54 C/K models. I may have some of the pot metal pieces (used), but I do not have the quarter stainless pieces.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I've got a FULL set of the stainless trim from a '55 coupe. It's for sale - it's not cheap - and I only have a couple of the requiste clips that hold it on. And I won't break up the set....[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I assume that you are talking about the MODIFIED '54 K that I used to own. The beltline was changed from pot metal to stainless before I purchased the car. There were a lot of non-stock items on that resto-rod. I have owned many of both stock and modified '53-'54 C/K models. I may have some of the pot metal pieces (used), but I do not have the quarter stainless pieces.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Yes and hoping to turn up the stainless 1/4 window pieces. Steve H. is checking for me. jimmijim

Comment

I have a pair of the quarter window moldings. Email me if you are interested.

Chip
                            '63 Cruiser daily driver
                            '57 Packard wagon on the road!
                            Chip
                            '63 Cruiser
                            '57 Packard wagon
                            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                            X