Increasing eBay listings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing eBay listings

There are different ways to search eBay, but I have a custom one for Studebaker I set up a few years back, and I check in at least a couple times a day by just clicking a bookmark.

Most of the time this yields about 2500-3000 listings, of which an average are around 40-50 cars/trucks. The vehicles tend to drop a week or two before Christmas, and hit a low of 18, as of this writing at 37. But the number of non-vehicle items in my search (parts, parts cars, accessories, paper goods, etc.) has not spiked but has been steadily climbing, to a high this morning of 4,298[:0] This is at least 1000 listings higher than what I usually see for the beginning of January.

Makes me wonder- eBay popularity increase, normal technology usage expansion, or sign of the times as in more people needing money... what do you think?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Bob, I would put the major cause as more people needing money. I keep telling my wife that if we are going to get a second Studebaker, now is the time. So far, that hasn't worked.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

Comment

People needing more money is my guess. It is a buyers market for most of the cars now. I too keep telling my wife I need a Champ truck but no luck so far with 5 vehicles in the driveway now

Comment

Maybe, but if that's so, then why are listings for cars and trucks the same or even a little less??

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

seasonal effects...folks need money...look at the prices of sold or "did not meet reserve"....pretty self evident I think....

Comment

There's probably a lot more people with parts available than people with only a car. If you own a car, you probably have a stockpile of parts which are extra which you can sell. If all you have is a car, you're probably not likely to sell it by itself.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

It's also due to shysters like Carpartswholesale that post hundreds of individual listings for the same $10 radio antenna.

Skip Lackie
              Washington DC
              Skip Lackie

Comment

How do U get it set so carpartswhosale listings don't apppear when
                E-bay is searched.I'm tired of their non-Studebaker stuff cluttering up searches

Comment

I too keep an eye on ebay daily, but only for the past 6 months so I'm not sure about the mix. I have noticied (in agreement to prior posts) that several vendors just absolutely blast the postings with the same item. Is this seeming to happen more often than say a year ago? Might explain the "explosion" of items available.....

1952 Champion
                  1948 Land Cruiser
                  1929 GE Dictator
                  1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
                  1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Comment

Skip,
                    Don't ya just hate that sheet?

Or power ones that are not for the car?

What a waste of time..............'car spam:-('

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

It's also due to shysters like Carpartswholesale that post hundreds of individual listings for the same $10 radio antenna.

Skip Lackie
                    Washington DC

Comment

I sell on e-bay all the time but in the past I would pick out the item I figured would sell easy and bring in the most, as of late we are cleaning the shop so more items that are in boxes and have numbers are being put on, it take a lot of time to do item your not sure of and need to look up numbers, I have my nephew staying with use right now and he is real good on the computer and is looking up number there rather than the books, every day I give him a box of odds and ends and tell him to have fun he gets to keep what ever he sells from these boxes, he sometimes has 40+ items up for 3 day auction things are selling and people are getting some hard to find items cheap also. I try to keep 10 or so items on auction all the time but not as easy for me ...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                      canbstudebakers-
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

There are several things you can do to cut down the size of the Ebay search list and avoid some of the spam.

1. Saved search: In the search words, you can put a minus sign in front of a word to leave off a lot of things(example: -Brooklin -dinky -Lesney)

2. Exclude Vendors: Once you have generated a search, go to Advanced Search properties and put in a list of Vendors that you want to Exclude. Unfortunately, Ebay will not let you save this Exclude Vendors list in a Saved Search. I keep a Word document handy with the list saved so I can copy and paste it into the space. Space is limited in the box, so I can only list the worst offenders, like carpartswholesale.

3. Auctions only: You can hit the Auctions Only tab and get rid of about 2/3 of the listings. While this may also eliminate some vendors with genuine "Buy it now" Studebaker listings, none of us wants to wade through the spam.

In fact, we should all complain to Ebay about these spam vendors who claim to offer parts that don't even exist, like oxygen sensors for 1922 Studebakers or "window bags" for GT Hawks. We should at least be able to have a saved Exclude list!

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/indy/gary_indycar25_vvsm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                        Dartmouth, Mass.
                        '32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                        '48 M5
                        '65 Wagonaire Commander
                        '63 Wagonaire Standard
                        web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                        Gary Ash
                        Dartmouth, Mass.

’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                        '48 M5
                        '65 Wagonaire Commander
                        '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

What is the phone number for eBay? I have a PIN ID but misplaced the phone number. I would like to speak to a live person about this problem.
                          Allen

Comment

quote:Originally posted by garyash

There are several things you can do to cut down the size of the Ebay search list and avoid some of the spam.

1. Saved search: In the search words, you can put a minus sign in front of a word to leave off a lot of things(example: -Brooklin -dinky -Lesney)

2. Exclude Vendors: Once you have generated a search, go to Advanced Search properties and put in a list of Vendors that you want to Exclude. Unfortunately, Ebay will not let you save this Exclude Vendors list in a Saved Search. I keep a Word document handy with the list saved so I can copy and paste it into the space. Space is limited in the box, so I can only list the worst offenders, like carpartswholesale.

3. Auctions only: You can hit the Auctions Only tab and get rid of about 2/3 of the listings. While this may also eliminate some vendors with genuine "Buy it now" Studebaker listings, none of us wants to wade through the spam.

In fact, we should all complain to Ebay about these spam vendors who claim to offer parts that don't even exist, like oxygen sensors for 1922 Studebakers or "window bags" for GT Hawks. We should at least be able to have a saved Exclude list!

Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            A month or so ago, Dick Steinkamp provided instructions on how to save a search with excluded vendors.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...partswholesale

You have to do it from the main Ebay home page, not from the Ebay Motors page. Once it's saved, you can then click on the Ebay Motors link on the left. Those listings NOT on Ebay Motors will disappear, but the same exclusion rules will apply to the Ebay Motors listings. This usually brings the total number of Studebaker items down to about 2500.

Skip Lackie
                            Washington DC
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

That's not true in my case; my bookmarked search is set up to exclude: carpartswholesale, cscsportsinc, covershield, and discountbodyparts And still I have over 4,200 listings!

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X