'63 Hawk ready for sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Hawk ready for sanding

The tail lights are still on. They'll remain until I drive it to the rented garage I have where the prep will be done.

I took Mike's suggestion of using DX330 to dewax it and some cleanser on a Scotch Brite to get all the corners.

I've got about 10 hours into tearing it down. Every nut and bolt came out like the car was new. No grease or dirt to fight anywhere. Piece of cake.

I know the car looks good in this photo, but the picture flatters it. Besides, the car deserves to have a perfect paint job. It should be one of the nicest 4 speed '63 Hawks around when it is painted.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

I'm so envious I could spit!

I sure hope there will be a cover photo for Turning Wheels someday.

Comment

I sure hope there will be a cover photo for Turning Wheels someday.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac

You shoulda bought this car, Art. [}]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac

You shoulda bought this car, Art. [}]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, you're not taking off the drip rail trim? I know it is a major PITA to remove it, but I've seen many cases where paint jobs have started to lift or develop rust because of wax/dirt trapped beneath the moulding. And on a low car like the Hawk, that drip rail is right at eye level.

Another thing to consider is to force a piece of weed-whacker cord under the edge of the windshield gasket to lift it away from the body a tad. Then you can sand and paint a fraction of an inch UNDER the lip of the rubber, and avoid having an exposed raw edge to the new paint.

Get a second opinion before prying off the drip rail moulding, though.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Dick, you're not taking off the drip rail trim? I know it is a major PITA to remove it, but I've seen many cases where paint jobs have started to lift or develop rust because of wax/dirt trapped beneath the moulding. And on a low car like the Hawk, that drip rail is right at eye level.

Another thing to consider is to force a piece of weed-whacker cord under the edge of the windshield gasket to lift it away from the body a tad. Then you can sand and paint a fraction of an inch UNDER the lip of the rubber, and avoid having an exposed raw edge to the new paint.

Get a second opinion before prying off the drip rail moulding, though.

Comment

I'll admitt that I was thinking the same thing about the drips and the glass. Either way, that car will really stand out in those fresh coats of 'Panther Pink'!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I'll admitt that I was thinking the same thing about the drips and the glass. Either way, that car will really stand out in those fresh coats of 'Panther Pink'!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Dick, you're not taking off the drip rail trim? I know it is a major PITA to remove it, but I've seen many cases where paint jobs have started to lift or develop rust because of wax/dirt trapped beneath the moulding.
                    I've heard too many horror stories about removing that molding. I know some have done it successfully, but with my luck, I'd ruin it. I didn't remove it on my '54 and no problems to date (8 years later). This car is as rust free as my '54 so I think I'll leave it on.

Good tip on the cord under the windshield gasket. The stainless trim comes real close to the body, however, so it might be tough. It will work well on the rear glass, however.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Dick, you're not taking off the drip rail trim? I know it is a major PITA to remove it, but I've seen many cases where paint jobs have started to lift or develop rust because of wax/dirt trapped beneath the moulding.
                      I've heard too many horror stories about removing that molding. I know some have done it successfully, but with my luck, I'd ruin it. I didn't remove it on my '54 and no problems to date (8 years later). This car is as rust free as my '54 so I think I'll leave it on.

Good tip on the cord under the windshield gasket. The stainless trim comes real close to the body, however, so it might be tough. It will work well on the rear glass, however.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster
                        Either way, that car will really stand out in those fresh coats of 'Panther Pink'!
                        I was kinda leaning towards chartreuse...

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster
                          Either way, that car will really stand out in those fresh coats of 'Panther Pink'!
                          I was kinda leaning towards chartreuse...

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Uh oh, Dick...I'm worried about you! You actually know how to spell chartreuse!! I was hoping no one would re-discover that color before I got it onto one of my Champs.....then I saw a new Dodge Charger already beat me to it[)]

steve blake
                            http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
                            http://tinyurl.com/l7oqh
                            steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

Comment

Uh oh, Dick...I'm worried about you! You actually know how to spell chartreuse!! I was hoping no one would re-discover that color before I got it onto one of my Champs.....then I saw a new Dodge Charger already beat me to it[)]

steve blake
                              http://tinyurl.com/l7oqh
                              steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X