powder coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powder coating

Just wondering if any of you have any experience with the do it yourself powder coating. My brother in law just bought one and we tried it on my hood hinges, I thought it did a great job. Good color and coverage easy to use, nice finish. It did get alot of dust in it but you have to look pretty close so see it. Since I don't have a show car that is not really a problem. The smell is pretty powerful though.

I do all my small parts that way. Looks very good, is very durable and as soon as it cools off you can use it. A lot of colors available. The new sears "hair dryer" gun is a good one for starters and easy to use. Make sure you use an electric oven and not gas.
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I do all my small parts that way. Looks very good, is very durable and as soon as it cools off you can use it. A lot of colors available. The new sears "hair dryer" gun is a good one for starters and easy to use. Make sure you use an electric oven and not gas.
      64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

I've owned a Harbor Freight powder coat gun for a few years, and I
        like it. I usually buy the powder from Eastwood. The clear really makes aluminum look good. I only have my wife's old oven to (cook)
        in, so small stuff is all I can bake. Hope to see You-all in South
        Bend in June![8D]

James K. Clark
        Rutledge Tn.
        '55 Prez. 2dr Hdtp.
        Don't take yourself too seriously!

James K. Clark

Comment

I've owned a Harbor Freight powder coat gun for a few years, and I
          like it. I usually buy the powder from Eastwood. The clear really makes aluminum look good. I only have my wife's old oven to (cook)
          in, so small stuff is all I can bake. Hope to see You-all in South
          Bend in June![8D]

James K. Clark
          Rutledge Tn.
          '55 Prez. 2dr Hdtp.
          Don't take yourself too seriously!

James K. Clark

Comment

I started buying mine from http://columbiacoatings.com/
            They as well as Summitracing.com and Sears carry the "hair dryer"
            powder gun. I used the harbor freight one before getting this
            one. I like the later gun much better. Don't have to have
            the air compressor running to use the gun.
            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

I started buying mine from http://columbiacoatings.com/
              They as well as Summitracing.com and Sears carry the "hair dryer"
              powder gun. I used the harbor freight one before getting this
              one. I like the later gun much better. Don't have to have
              the air compressor running to use the gun.
              64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Why do you say not to use a gas oven? Is it because of humidity, or is there a fire hazard with the powder?

nate

(no experience with this stuff.)

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Why do you say not to use a gas oven? Is it because of humidity, or is there a fire hazard with the powder?

nate

(no experience with this stuff.)

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

has anyone used the powder cqating on pot metal without melting piece being done ?

Comment

has anyone used the powder cqating on pot metal without melting piece being done ?

Comment

Iam a Powdercoater Tech, Some of the small do it yourself kits are OK, I personally would like to see people use small job shops to get their goodies coated, at that time Issues are dealt with such as pitting, out gassing of ferrous and non-ferrous metals. The lack of quality pre-treatment proccessing has cast a clowd over powdercoating. The cost of powdercoating is right on par with liquid coatings overall. I did a frame on my 66 Chevy Bel-air 30 years ago using media blasting, {silica sand} inside rails were done very well, next I left in hot sun for most of the day, I then liquid sprayed an epoxy zinc/oxide primer and let set for 24 hours to cure and out gas, Next was applied a nice coat of gloss black enamel [slow dry] Today this very frame looks perfect. and the drawback with powdercoating is you cant get inside the rails as accurately, even with turbo gun technology. If you have a scratch on your powdercoated surface oxidation will creep in and sheet off if your pre-treatment isnt done well. Pot metal and aluminum benifit well from powdercoating as long as it has good surface prep. The wide range of powders offered call for different bake temperatures and time sequences. Some powders have poor ability to deal with ultra violet light . I never use powdercoating on engine parts, other than on headers with high heat flat black, It stays on. Powdercoating is highly over rated, and typically you find shops scalping deep into your pocket. Beware.

Comment

Iam a Powdercoater Tech, Some of the small do it yourself kits are OK, I personally would like to see people use small job shops to get their goodies coated, at that time Issues are dealt with such as pitting, out gassing of ferrous and non-ferrous metals. The lack of quality pre-treatment proccessing has cast a clowd over powdercoating. The cost of powdercoating is right on par with liquid coatings overall. I did a frame on my 66 Chevy Bel-air 30 years ago using media blasting, {silica sand} inside rails were done very well, next I left in hot sun for most of the day, I then liquid sprayed an epoxy zinc/oxide primer and let set for 24 hours to cure and out gas, Next was applied a nice coat of gloss black enamel [slow dry] Today this very frame looks perfect. and the drawback with powdercoating is you cant get inside the rails as accurately, even with turbo gun technology. If you have a scratch on your powdercoated surface oxidation will creep in and sheet off if your pre-treatment isnt done well. Pot metal and aluminum benifit well from powdercoating as long as it has good surface prep. The wide range of powders offered call for different bake temperatures and time sequences. Some powders have poor ability to deal with ultra violet light . I never use powdercoating on engine parts, other than on headers with high heat flat black, It stays on. Powdercoating is highly over rated, and typically you find shops scalping deep into your pocket. Beware.

Comment

just MHO,but I don't think it's worth the time and investment to DIY. My local shops powder coat small items so reasonably,I wouldn't bother. Example: harley kickstand-$15. Harley frame,swing arm,and 8 small pieces: $300. [and that Harley frame wouldn't fit in your wifes oven,neither would the swing arm]..

LaSalle,Il
                            61Hawk
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

just MHO,but I don't think it's worth the time and investment to DIY. My local shops powder coat small items so reasonably,I wouldn't bother. Example: harley kickstand-$15. Harley frame,swing arm,and 8 small pieces: $300. [and that Harley frame wouldn't fit in your wifes oven,neither would the swing arm]..

LaSalle,Il
                              61Hawk
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X