55 Stude Champion Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 Stude Champion Help Needed

I ran across this 1955 Champion Deluxe or Regal (not sure which) and need a little help in dcifering the VIN# which is

G1354926.

I know there is an expert among us who can help and I really do appreciate it.

The car is on 120" wb with a 6cyl engine and automatic tranny. Only two other options are the original radio and of course a heater.

Help is appreciated.

And for those who I know will ask here is a preview of the car[}]

Thanks for the help.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

It is a Regal Champion on a 116" W/B "W6" Body with Accessory Fog Lights and a (post-Production) painted grille.

Champions are "G" Serials.

The President State "Y" Body Sedan was on the Coupe/Hardtop 120 1/2" W/B.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The serial number tells you that it is a 1955 Champion that was assembled in South Bend and is one of the last made (G1357374 was the last).

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Radio, Climatizer, Fog Lamps, bumper guards, dual rear view mirrors, full disc wheelcovers - and that's just what we can see with this photo. Nice-lookin' car, BTW!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:[i]Originally posted by Avantidon
            Help is appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
            Oh my gawd! Sumbody dune went n painted tha grill n park lights.[}][}]

But it's a sedan, so that's okay.[][]

Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jerry Forrester
              Oh my gawd! Sumbody dune went n painted tha grill n park lights.[}][}]
              Probably trying to save enough money to buy a chromed differential cover.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
              Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Man, that's a nice car!

Chris Dresbach
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

With all deference to Jerry Forrester,

Oh my gawd! Sumbody dune went n painted tha grill n park lights...

Yeah, and ain't it a good thing.

I wish my Land Cruiser looked that good.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                  '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                  ....On the road, again....
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

I have never been a big fan of the 55 front end, but with that grill painted I actually like it. A great improvement.

Doug
                    Venice, Florida
                    1950 Champion
                    9G F1

Comment

There's more to this story. The painted grille was considered for the Champion according to Bob Bourke who favored it but was turned down by the Corporate Leaders who thought more bright work was needed to compete with the big three. In addition to the things Mr. Biggs pointed out the car has rear fender skirts as well as a Borg-Warner Automatic Transmission which actually starts in LOW from a standing start and then shifts into drive. In addition this is a late model car built after mid-January 1955 as it has the wrap around windshield from the "Advance Series" which started in production in early January 1955. It has Studebaker;s reliable L-head engine bored to 185.6 CI for 55. As we all know the engine was known as the "Victory Six."It developed 101 HP @ 4000 RPM. Thanks to Gary L and others plus further research the car is built on a 116.5" wheelbase. The car also has back-up lights. Options for this year for the Champion also included Power Steering and Power Brakes (Hydrovac system) but haven't looked into that yet but will within the next week or so.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon
                        Thanks to Gary L and others plus further research [u]the car is built on a 166.5" wheelbase.</u>
                        Really!!!! That must have been the ultra rare Ultra Vista limo! We could turn it into a 4 door cart hauler and still have room for a 10' bed out back. [}]

(I know it was a typo, but I could not resist).

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

There I fixed it. You can lay down in the back seat of this car and I bet that happened alot. Thanks Gary for theUltra Vista limo line

Comment

I thought it was stroked to 185, but I'm no expert.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

I thought it was stroked to 185, but I'm no expert.
                              YES - The bore stayed at 3.00 and the stroke increased from 4.00 to 4.38, the same stroke as a 226 Commander ('47-'48).

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X