Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sdude
    replied
    Last May our club attended a high dollar hot rod event in our area. We received an award for the best club attendance and I took home the "Best Truck" award. I say that with pride even though there were only two trucks there. [^]

Most of those high dollar customs don't even have windshield wipers.

Isn't that why we call ourselves a "drivers" club? [?]

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Leave a comment:

• 50Champ
    replied
    I'll drive mine in the winter if the roads are dry. I thought about taking it for a spin this afternoon to my favorite department store-Goodwill-but since the low temperature was 5 last night I decided to wait until it warms up a little....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

Leave a comment:

• Lenny R2
    replied
    I take my 63 Avanti out 2 or 3 times a month if its dry out in the 6 years i have it
    i dont think its been in rain 10 times.The Champ pickup has been in the rain a few
    times.WE dont get much snow in Atlanta so not worried about that.Sunday am they say
    16 degrees not going outside to early.

Lenny
    Atlanta Ga.

Leave a comment:

• COMMANDERPINK1
    replied
    All the time that is the one in my signature photo but not my other 1966 Commander with only 17,000 miles it hasnt seen snow since late '70s

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Studeboro
    replied
    Yes Heater cranked up, yes rain, most anytime I can drive 'em, but not in the snow, have had them out on warm sunny days in the winter, but no for snow.

studeboro

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Same here. I have two currently that are nearly rust-free originals, and I want them to stay that way. Here in CNY they would literally be full of holes after one winter[xx(] Local Studes that were driven daily here were literally rusted to the point of being unsafe in about 4 winters[V] That's why NY cars are usually nothing to worry about- if they're native (which very few are) they were garage-kept and pampered.

So my 57 Provincial and 62 Daytona are comfortably ensconced in my garage, along with a Corvair. I'll tinker with 'em some over the looooong winter here. Right now it's snowmobile time though

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Leave a comment:

• jd-stude
    replied
    I haven't driven one in the winter since 1976. Pennsylvania winters are very hard on rust prone cars like Studebakers.
    Ken

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Not in Michigan, unless you want a visit from the FERRIC OXIDE FAIRY.

I've got enough evidence of his visits on my late model brand X's

Bob

Leave a comment:

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    Yessum, all day everyday, it is my transportation after all [)]. The only time it won't see bad weather is if its possibly well below zero, the snow is too deep, or conditions don't permit any kind of driving, at that point nothing else is moving either. It also won't move if its busted, which is what I use the Brand X for in that case.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

Leave a comment:

• fstst56
    replied
    I wouldn't unless I had to and if I had to I wouldn't anyway.

That's why God invented brand X's.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    I have decided to use "Oil Tech" on my 55K even though I don't intend to drive it in the snow. My 91 Legend has been oiled every year and it IS my winter beater. 400,000 Km and no rust issues. I've also decided to use Classic Entreprises' inner fender kits for both front and rear even though it will make it less original. Hoping to stop the road crap from building up in the worst places even from summer driving. If the Stude looks as good as the Acura twenty years on, I hope to be around to enjoy it, myself. Hmm... maybe there's some oil product that'll keep ME going....

Leave a comment:

• 55champion
    replied
    Don't drive it in the snow but do try to drive it every week to give it exercise.

Leave a comment:

• Flashback
    replied
    When it'll run I do.

Tex E. Grier

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by stude-sled

I drive mine every day, no matter the weather.
    We don't have enough snow here to have a winter beater. I have never driven a Studebaker in the snow for that reason. Rain is another thing. I have not been driving the Champ on as regular a basis as I probably should, but the last four times I took it on a Stude event it rained. A couple of those times the rain was horrendous. It didn't melt and dried out just fine. Rain-X is the key!!!! All kidding aside I put that stuff on the windshields of all my cars/trucks.

Oh, and yes there may be an effort afoot to ban me from any event if I drive the Champ. There is, I feel, a fear among some quarters that the Champ can turn sunshine into clouds and a dry day into a wet one.[}]

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Leave a comment:

• stude-sled
    replied
    I drive mine every day, no matter the weather.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X