53 Studebaker coupes Police cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Studebaker coupes Police cars

I bid on eBay, but I didn't get these pictures, so I took my camera and got the pictures.

I have never seen any Studebaker coupes for a police cars.

Leonard Shepherd

Not much room in those babies, but I guess there is more room than they had in the Mustangs the HP around here used about 20 years ago. With all their communication gear and computers those things were packed full!

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I wonder how they were 'as was' for high-speed persuits? Makes one wonder why they didn't have a "Studillac" or two 'on test'....

Craig

Comment

Not to say there were not any more powerful car's available; and no disrespect to the brand, most of the pursuits would have been against a flat head ford V8 or a blue streak 6 from chevy. In stock form I know which car be the fastest. Great photo's and a story line behind them would be interesting. Thanks pwb

Comment

Knowing how hard cops use brakes and how lame were the '53 brakes, easy to foresee many, many complaints, re-lines, new drums, maybe a few accidents.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Very interesting photos...Thanks for posting them, Leonard!

I, too, wonder about the drag of those devices - probably cancels out the advantages of the lower coupe.

Andy
            62 GT

Andy
            62 GT

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E12T6

Not to say there were not any more powerful car's available; and no disrespect to the brand, most of the pursuits would have been against a flat head ford V8 or a blue streak 6 from chevy. In stock form I know which car be the fastest. Great photo's and a story line behind them would be interesting. Thanks pwb
              .....and high compression OHV Caddys and Olds, nailhead Buicks, and not to mention Chrysler 331 hemis.

Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The more I look at those photos, the more I believe them to be PR cars. I think the lettering above the shield on the doors reads 'Safety Education' on it. Police cars in severe service would not have white wall tires on them for one thing, and Studebaker didn't really persue the police car market until a few years later. Did they even a 4 barrel option from the factory in 1953?

Craig

Comment

Straight 8 Buicks would have given them a run for thier money on a the highway. also Hemi cars of 51-52-53

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Leonard, I also tried to bid on those unique photos but the serious bidders swamped us in the last few seconds to around $57 yet they were only Kodak prints from the period, not the usual Corporation prints. Interesting to note that Brooklin Models of England brought out a fine 1/43 scale model of this car some years ago. A desirable must for any Stude toy collector.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
                    MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
                    X