Cool package arrived in the mail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool package arrived in the mail!

Went through my mail from the weekend (finally) and got a nice Priority Mail box. I opened it up and found two professionally packed items- a bottle of core sand and a brick from the Studebaker foundry!

Chris Dresbach had taken the time to send them simply because I had expressed an interest in having same, but was unable to take the tour with the group a few weeks back. So thanks to Chris- who did not have to make that effort for a total stranger- I now have two cherished mementos from the fast-disappearing remnants of our beloved Studebaker manufacturing complex.

A big sincere THANK YOU to Chris for the goodies. I'm the sappy type to whom these items have real value. Much appreciated!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Awesome!!!

Comment

Great gesture! [^]
      I guess the two jars titled, "Dirt from Dave's basement" won't tear you up now...eh, Happy Sappy?

Comment

Dunno..... did you send 'em...???

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

No. Kidding. I'm too lazy to even pick up my own dirt down there, let alone send you some to be funny. It is rare, though. Not many tours. Don't want to lose my signs.

Comment

No problem! Glad I could do my part to save a little history. I still have at least 3 more going out and one probably to Austrailia! (BTW: If YOU want sand, I have more bottles of it than I know what to do with, but bricks are limited. The package like bams got is $15. When I run out of foundry bricks, I MIGHT be able to gather some from engineering) One other thing, the photo above is no longer up to date. I changed all the labels to better deacles and the snapple bottle now comes standard unless you order the other type of bottle. I also put "STUDEBAKER" down the S on the Snapple bottle. Glad you are happy with that bams!

Chris Dresbach
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Yep, nice job on the label too. You really should charge a little more since the Priority postage you paid was $11.60, plus your time, bubble wrap, etc.

Did you look at the small Priority Flat Rate box? Looks like it would hold a brick and bottle and padding:

Domestic Rate: $4.80 with online pricing
              You save $0.15 online

International Rate: $10.40 (Mexico/Canada), $12.30 (all other countries) with online pricing
              You save $0.55 to $0.65 online

Size: 8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8"

Thanks again!

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Does anyone know what kind of core sand Studebaker used? I'd assume it was of the CO2-set variety.

Good job, Bob. As someone with with some experience in pattern-making and sand casting, I think think this is especially cool.

Peter Miller

pdmiller@stanford.edu

1963 Avanti R1 4-speed, 63R4810

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Yep, nice job on the label too. You really should charge a little more since the Priority postage you paid was $11.60, plus your time, bubble wrap, etc.

Did you look at the small Priority Flat Rate box? Looks like it would hold a brick and bottle and padding:

Domestic Rate: $4.80 with online pricing
                  You save $0.15 online

International Rate: $10.40 (Mexico/Canada), $12.30 (all other countries) with online pricing
                  You save $0.55 to $0.65 online

Size: 8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8"

Thanks again!

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

I looked at the small box. The picture makes it look big. No, it wont hold a brick and the sand. Heck, it barely fit in the medium box! Hmn... New years prices: $20.00! LOL[)]

Chris Dresbach
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by pdmiller

Does anyone know what kind of core sand Studebaker used? I'd assume it was of the CO2-set variety.

Good job, Bob. As someone with with some experience in pattern-making and sand casting, I think think this is especially cool.

Peter Miller

pdmiller@stanford.edu

1963 Avanti R1 4-speed, 63R4810

Not sure, but it even looks polluted. I am finding metal chunks in it![?]

Chris Dresbach
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Heres an updated pic of how the sand is being bottled.

Chris Dresbach
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by pdmiller

Probably, sand, metal...and asbestos. It was everywhere down there. [:0]

Comment

Probably, sand, metal...and asbestos. It was everywhere down there. [:0]

[/quote]
                          Don't think that the Asbestos would have made it into the sand, atleast not too much anyway. The sand was stored in big concrete bins away from where they had Asbestos, and I doubt it was mixed into the concrete. See, asbestos was used as fire proofing, cememnt wont catch on fire easily so it wasn't there. Places like the roof and other rooms on the other hand...

Chris Dresbach
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                          X