The Stude of Your Teenage Dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stude of Your Teenage Dreams

This time of the year always seems conducive to a bit of nostalgia. While scanning the forums I got thinking about some very important Studebakers - the ones we never owned or drove anywhere but on the highways of our imagination back in the day.
    When I hit high school I was already car mad. I sometimes wonder what my grades would have been if all those hours spent with Road & Track, Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Motor Sport, Hot Rod and such, had been spent with the text books?
    Anyway, all that "research" primed my imagination to give me virtual ownership of two cars. One was a GT Hawk, '62 - '64 vintage, dark green, 4spd, strictly stock. The other was a '59 - '63 Lark 2dr sedan, canary yellow with Cragar mags (big wide ones on the back and skinny ones on the front), a Hurst shifter, big tach on the column and an all black interior. Minor bells and whistles changed from time to time but those were always the basics.
    So what were your dream Studebakers back in the days before you had a driver's permit?

Allan - Ontario, Canada
    1963 GT Hawk
    1964 Daytona Convertible

I didn't have a dream Studebaker. I had a Studebaker dream. Getting my driver's license so I could drive the Studebakers we already had.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

My day dreams while in high school led me to owning a 55 Speedster(in my mind only)that never became reallity,though I did own a nice 55 President State H.T. and two 55 sedans,one of wich I still have.

Joseph R. Zeiger
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Can a person thats still a teen answer this? Or just old farts? [)]

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I think young farts can answer it also.

1949 2R17
          R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I didn't have a "dream" Studebaker 'til my early 20's... What I have now is very close to that dream, except for the tonnage!

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island Chapter
            http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Brand new 64 R2 Avanti, still on the show room floor in 1966. Took until 1999 for me to find the right 70,000 mile car.
              Bo

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bomarkham

Brand new 64 R2 Avanti, still on the show room floor in 1966. Took until 1999 for me to find the right 70,000 mile car.
                Since I'm still a teenager for 3 more months...

I'll go with a '63 Diesel crew cab.

Matthew Burnette
                Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

Awesome![)][quote]Originally posted by Milaca

I think young farts can answer it also.

I've got quite a few actually. The ones that actually have a chance of happening (Come on, lets see how much R3 Avanti's and Golden Hawks go for. ) I think it would be fun to do a mild custom on another '61 wagon, know of one too! (I wonder how Craig?[8D] ) I'm thinking keep it looking fairly stock, paint it Flamingo (I have NEVER even seen a picture of a wagon that color!), don't know of the wheels yet. I also don't know what I want for tires in the front, but the rears would be neat to have a repro set of cheater slicks. The engine would be a extra 259 4V I got, with a R1 cam, ect. The tranny would be a T-85/overdrive with a top shifter conversion on it. The rear would have a TT dana 44, with low gearing, I'm thinking something like 4.10, or maybe even as far as 4.56. It would then have a homemade set of traction bars (got the spring plates for it to already!) to assist with getting traction. I'm not sure on the interior yet though, I'd probably go with a white/flamingo (or something similer) to go with the exterior. So, I'd have a mostly stock wagon, and my mild custom street machine.[8D] I already have ALOT of the parts for this paticular car, I need a T-85 (a friend has one, lets see how long though,LOL) the bell housing for it, ect. Ways off still. I'd still like to do a R3 4 speed equiped '63 standard wagonaire, but thats a ways off. (I DO know of a '63 standard wagonaire, was offered to me, just no space. Lord willing, it will stick around long enough for me to have space for it, this '61, and maybe a couple others.[] )

Ok, this young fart will shutup now.......

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                  1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

In 1959, when I was 15 and had a 53 champion c body coupe,
                    I dreamed of a 53 Commander, with some mods, I had seen in
                    the "small" latest issue or Rodding and Restyling. It was
                    black with red interior. Had a 55 engine with such mods as
                    a Offenhauser "KIT" and Mallory ignition, etc......... Well
                    here I am 50 years later and that dream is about half come
                    true, sitting in my garage. Hopefully, I will be able to
                    drive my "DREAM STUDEBAKER" about April. I'm grinnin'.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I'm still driving mine. It was a dream in High School, I drove the wheels off my '50 Land Cruiser then. I got my coupe while in college, Jan, '59. It's been considerably restored since then, but again looks good. See below.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                      Tom Bredehoft
                      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                      ....On the road, again....
                      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                      All Indiana built cars

Comment

When I was in Jr. High one of the guys in high school had a bullet nose Stude painted Canary Yellow. The bumpers were gone and pans were in their place. The front end was almost on the ground and it had huge tires on the back. It had a V8 and the sweetest glass packs that I had ever heard. It had black leather interior and a floor shifter. He used to blow the doors off the 55 - 57 Chevys that all the rich kids had. I used to dream that someday I would be driving that car. When this guy graduated he went into the Army and I never saw him or the car again.

Doug
                        Venice, Florida
                        1950 Champion
                        9G F1

Comment

As a kid my grandpa had a book printed circa 1971 and it had listed every U.S. car company in it up to that year and had pictures of a car from many of these companies. The picture I most admired was from a car company named Studebaker and it was of a 1956 Golden Hawk. It wasnt my "dream" car of my teen years however but I thought it would be nice to have one someday. I didnt have a dream car until I turned 17 and discovered a 1963 Daytona convertible in an Auto Shopper magazine and the car was up in Duluth, MN. My dad liked old cars and I suggested that he buy it for himself, but he said that I should by it for myself and I thought "yeah, good idea!". This was in 1987 and I had never even heard of a 1963 Lark Daytona convertible and found it very unusual which really appealed to me. Long story short, I bought the car and it sits as a rusty hulk in my shed. Even as a 38 year old, it is still my dream car. Someday....

1949 2R17
                          R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I'm like Bob G.....I was driving my dream as a teenager ....a ' 52 Starlite Coup that was originally my grandfathers....oh now i dream of getting it back !

[IMG]
                            Home of the Fried Green Tomato
                            "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
                            1964 Daytona HT
                            1966 Daytona SS
                            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I remember seeing an Avanti commercial when I was 13 and thought it was the neatest car ever.
                              I've wanted one ever since.

Gary Sanders
                              Nixa, MO
                              President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                              Gary Sanders
                              Nixa, MO

Comment

Working...
                              X