Passed on one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed on one

Sal and I were on the edge on this 28 Dictator. It had two hoods, neither fit, missing the headlight bar, one wood running board and some knobs and small bits. Same owner for 50 years, driven in the barn 10 years ago. The interior was ready to crumble, canvas roof gone, but 5 newer tires. The guy was asking $2500, but not sure if we'd come out OK, even selling to a rodder. We passed at $2500, did we screw up ? I would have been happy to break even, just to get it out of that barn, but was afraid we could not even do that.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

JDP

I think you made a sound decision. As a moredoor, it would be hard to get that much.

Just cruise around the HAMB and I'll bet you could several comparable for less.

JMHO

Bob

, ,

Comment

You made the right choice in my eyes

Comment

Add me to the list of people who think you did the right thing. If the frame was good and the motor turned, it would be worth parting out. To sell the car - I don't know...

Doug
        Venice, Florida
        1950 Champion
        9G F1

Comment

I believe the car could be made to drive again. Nothing is siezed. The car rolls easily, the fan turns the water pump, but not the crank. The oil is clean and the tires are new. The body is rust free and shows no sign of cancer. It was extremely difficult to drive away with an empty trailer. I still think about going back. The clincher for me was the following: wrong hood. no light bar, missing knobs and cranks, rotted interior, rotted wood in the top. I still think it would be a great buy for someone wanting to drive the car without great expense in a restoration. It just did not fit for us.

sals54
          sals54

Comment

Its already relisted on Craigslist:
            http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/1529683787.html
            Only now its up to $3300. I still think it'll sell, even for that price.

sals54
            sals54

Comment

You never can tell. I bought this 31 buick last march for 3,000. When my hours got cut i had to sell it. Its a 31 Buick series 60,same owner last 47 years, used as a parts car, but with most parts, as you can see by the sag on my truck. I did a "Hail Mary" and threw it on craigslist for $8,000, and got $ 7200 for it in a week. Lots of interest too, so you never know, although now that its on craigslist everyone knows.

they just keep following me home
              they just keep following me home

Comment

sweetolbob,
                What may I ask is a moredoor?

Dean.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

Its already relisted on Craigslist:
                  http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/1529683787.html
                  Only now its up to $3300. I still think it'll sell, even for that price.

sals54
                  He must have added the extra $900 once we told him the model.

JDP/Maryland
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

A moredoor is any car with more doors than the coveted 2 door models

sals54
                    sals54

Comment

I'd like to someday find a 20s or 30s car that I could buy and make drivable unrestored, with the 'patina' intact. This one looks close to that, and at a good price; but I agree, the missing hood and rotted roof just tip it backward toward 'pass'. Maybe somebody with more knowledge of cars from that period and/or parts will grab it up.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Sounds like you guys made the right decision, but am I only one that can't tell a darn thing from those pics? Can't tease us with anything better than that? [)] Hope it finds a good home on CL, though.

Comment

Awww John,with some cash and time that could have been turned into something like this:

but for what its worth,I think ya made the right choice.

Comment

Suggest he drag it to the Turlock Swap Meet Jan. 30-31. Only a few miles away.

Along with this one:

http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/1498038008.html

KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

Awww John,with some cash and time that could have been turned into something like this:

but for what its worth,I think ya made the right choice.

I prefer this look

JDP/Maryland
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X