Dick Datson Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Datson Material

I have been reading a whole bunch of material written by DD. There is some interesting stuff in the writings but it seems that there is more of "I'll get to that later" than anything else. I have enjoyed reading it and still have more to read.. Now I can drive my Studebaker forever!!

Off to Atlantis!!

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

I enjoyed recieving Dick's newsletter in the early 1990's. He was very enthusiastic! Methinks he was a little at odds with the powers that be at SDC.

Comment

I did notice that he had some issues with the SDC and I guess he more or less spearheaded the Lark/Hakw/Avanti owners clubs. It's hard for me to imagine that "politics" in a car club such as the SDC would have driven people away from it. Maybe it was diffefent in the 70's and 80's.

Jamie McLeod
      Hope Mills, NC
      Jamie McLeod
      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
      1955 Commander Sedan
      1964 Champ
      1960 Lark

Comment

Dick Datson was a force during the 70s and 80s cuz it was in that era that most of the SDC did not like the Stude custom and hotrod crowd. Most folks in the Club felt the cars should be kept stock. It wasn't till the 90s that the custom and hotrod owners were even beginning to be welcomed by the Magazine and the SDC events. He was also the best source of ways and means to replace worn Stude parts with those of the brand X. It later morphed into high performance tech for Studes. I used much of the information available in Datsons books to create my Turbocharged flathead 6. It did have to be sorted through, though. Some of it was a bit extreme. It was primarily due to Datsons efforts that Ted Harbit moved to Turbos and away from Paxtons. Ted had more success with Turbos than he ever could have had with the Paxtons of the day. Jim Lange, Mike Sherer, Tom Covington to name a few, all had and continue to have significant performance success with Turbos due in great part to Datsons work. I for one, applaud him.

sals54
        sals54

Comment

Years ago, I bought his collection of works and still have it. A lot of it seemed to be geared towards keeping a Studebaker on the road economically, so being a CASO I can't get rid of that info!

The "Atlantis" info...did he really believe there was Atlantis? I seem to remember hearing this at some point.

Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
          '64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

"The "Atlantis" info...did he really believe there was Atlantis?"

Believe in it? He was the mayor.

Comment

That has to be the funniest post I have read on here in a long time.

Doug
              Venice, Florida
              1950 Champion
              9G F1

Comment

I am not discounting what Dick wrote. With the amount of information that was written, it is easy to understand that he was held in high regard. I appreciate any performance information I can get. I remember back in the newsgroup days when Dick was leaning more towards the Atlantis and alien thing. Besides that, I will keep Dick's writings because there is alot of helpful information in it.
                I also see how far we have come as a drivers club and the welcoming of the non purists. I for one like all of them. The technology has come a long way since DD's writing. I think that there is much more available now for performance Studes than when he originally wrote some of his stuff.
                I won't be long before I will be bending the ears of the performance/racing guys to get some advice on building my hot rod engine.

Jamie McLeod
                Hope Mills, NC
                Jamie McLeod
                Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                1955 Commander Sedan
                1964 Champ
                1960 Lark

Comment

DD was a GREAT source for Studebaker swaps when parts were no longer available. Who would have ever thought that a 1950 Champ master cylinder was the same as one for a Clark fork lift truck. There is alot of excellent information in his book

Comment

I also have his writings and is DD still with us and what is he up to now. At one time there I thought he was starting to lean heavier onto the AMC.

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Jamie, I had to chuckle when I read where it's always "more on that later". Indeed - USUALLY followed by a repetitive berating of BrandX stuff.
                      Some good things came from this source, but an equal amount of ugly stuff came from the same well. Of course, there's a number of folks - in and out of SDC - that could have that said about them to a lesser degree - myself included.[^] And then there's those - who by their own accounting are pure blessings to SDC. If you don't believe them, just ask them.We have a few that serve as self-appointed moderators - right on these forums!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You may have moved me to pull out my old Datson material and give it a new read. His views were extreme on some things, but as was said, in a time when SDC did not welcome modified cars he provided encouragement and advice. It was too bad when he finally moved into some kind of survivalist mode and lost the Studebaker focus.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                        1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I subscribed to DD's little newsletter when he was putting it out. There were some good and some not so good writings in it, and he seemed very upset a lot of the time. Did he put out a book with all his tips in it? I was thankful for some of the things he recommended, since I believe that the only reason cars were made was so I could finish them properly-Ha ! I still have the years worth of newsletters I got, never did find out if he was a real person or not. A friend that lives in the same town said he never heard of him and never got any info-this a few years later, but still made me wonder. He must have, or still is, an interesting character. I just would want to have an escape route if I offended him accidently, because he seemed so angry sometimes. I hope he's having a better life if he's around, tho', he did help out with Avanti tips. John

Comment

Dick published a wealth a very useful technical information, infused with tons of personal opinions and rants, and yes he seemed to be always be on the verge of some earth shattering announcement that was coming "soon". He was a blogger and conspiracy theorist long before anyone else, along the line of "UFO abductions are real but the moon landings were faked" school of thought. The internet wasn't around, so he had to publish to get the word out. If you've seen the term "evil vendor", he was the source as he was certain the hobby was ruined by evil profit obsessed parts vendors. The thing with Dick is that even technical information was a matter of faith, and if you were not a "true believer" in whatever he was promoting at the time, you were an infidel and the enemy.

Steve Hudson
                            The Dalles, Oregon
                            1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                            1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                            1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
                            1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
                            1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
                            The Dalles, Oregon
                            1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                            1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                            1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by S2DSteve
                              ...and if you were not a "true believer" in whatever he was promoting at the time, you were an infidel and the enemy.

Every forum has them...don't they

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X