How long for "starliner"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long for "starliner"?

The word starliner was first coined for the 52 hardtop? And was used through 53, 54, ...?
    Would the starliner word be appropriate For ANY K body? What about 58 hardtops? Larks, GTs. ?
    Thanks.

Dan
    52 hardtop

It is unfortunate that Studebaker never placed that name plate on a car or copyrighted the name. The 58 hardtop was called a Starlight, but still there was no name plate.

Here is what was said about it in the book "Studebaker, The Complete Story":

Initially the (58) hardtop had no particular name, but within a few weeks after introduction the sales department started pushing the Studebaker versions as Starlights, a name formerly used for pillared coupes. Calling them Starliners would have made more sense, but possibly Ford had already picked up the name, since they used it in 1960-61 for their semi-fastback hardtops.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

It is unfortunate that Studebaker never placed that name plate on a car or copyrighted the name. The 58 hardtop was called a Starlight, but still there was no name plate.

Here is what was said about it in the book "Studebaker, The Complete Story":

Initially the (58) hardtop had no particular name, but within a few weeks after introduction the sales department started pushing the Studebaker versions as Starlights, a name formerly used for pillared coupes. Calling them Starliners would have made more sense, but possibly Ford had already picked up the name, since they used it in 1960-61 for their semi-fastback hardtops.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Thanks.
        Google shows me the 60/61 Fords, A Lockheed Constellation, A late model German motor coach, and a bunch of paper products.

Ford DID nameplate with starliner, so I supposed they had some rights to it by then. I was mostly interested in the 58 hardtops. But I am interested in what year the name stops applying to the K body. 55?

Dan
        52 hardtop

Comment

Thanks.
          Google shows me the 60/61 Fords, A Lockheed Constellation, A late model German motor coach, and a bunch of paper products.

Ford DID nameplate with starliner, so I supposed they had some rights to it by then. I was mostly interested in the 58 hardtops. But I am interested in what year the name stops applying to the K body. 55?

Dan
          52 hardtop

Comment

I always considered the 53-55's to be the starliner, (hardtops), and starlights, (coupes with the B-pillar). I've always hated the nickname 'Lowey coupes', (ok, I know that is spelt wrong). But, obviously there are other variations throughout the years before and after 53-55.

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
            - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

I always considered the 53-55's to be the starliner, (hardtops), and starlights, (coupes with the B-pillar). I've always hated the nickname 'Lowey coupes', (ok, I know that is spelt wrong). But, obviously there are other variations throughout the years before and after 53-55.

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
              - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

The word starliner was first coined for the 52 hardtop? And was used through 53, 54, ...?
                Would the starliner word be appropriate For ANY K body? What about 58 hardtops? Larks, GTs. ?
                Thanks.

Dan
                52 hardtop
                The only Studebaker Starliners are 1952-1955 models. Studebaker didn't register the name and Ford had it under their control before the '58 hardtop sedans came out. Studebaker wanted to use Starliner on them, but settled for Starlight, which only confuses the Starlight/Starliner issue.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

Thanks.

Dan
                  52 hardtop
                  The only Studebaker Starliners are 1952-1955 models. Studebaker didn't register the name and Ford had it under their control before the '58 hardtop sedans came out. Studebaker wanted to use Starliner on them, but settled for Starlight, which only confuses the Starlight/Starliner issue.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Starting in '56, all C-K cars were Hawks. No Starlights or liners in the mix.

OK - without googling, who had Sunliners???

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Starting in '56, all C-K cars were Hawks. No Starlights or liners in the mix.

OK - without googling, who had Sunliners???

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ford used the sunliner on Converts.

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.
                        Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Ford used the sunliner on Converts.

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.
                          Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Ford

John Clements
                            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                            Lockleys South Australia
                            John Clements
                            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Ford

John Clements
                              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                              Lockleys South Australia
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X