Continental Kit on Studebaker in TW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continental Kit on Studebaker in TW

I just received my copy of the February, 2007 Turning Wheels and it has an article on fender skirts on C/K bodies. It shows this picture of a 53 Starliner with fender skirts and a continental kit. There has been some discussion about extended fenders and Continental Kits on Studebaker on this forum, lately, so I thought I would post this picture.

I also have a leaflet that was sent to a Studebaker dealer offering to sell Continental Kits for GT Hawks, which is posted below.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Isn't this about the sweetest car ever. So classy. I wondered about the length of the fenders myself. They sure look to me like they're longer, but I will leave that up to all the experts here to decide.

Comment

Isn't this about the sweetest car ever. So classy. I wondered about the length of the fenders myself. They sure look to me like they're longer, but I will leave that up to all the experts here to decide.

Comment

Yes, there was an article in TW about "Old Blue", a 1953 with the fender extensions and continental kit - an aftermarket item sold by ??Huddleton - Whitestone ?? (memory's fading).

Nice story about the original owner's wife purchasing the continental kit new in 1954? I'm sure you can find it in the TW index.

Fender skirts are a rare factory option. I have a pair, but I've yet to have the guts to drill the holes required in the fenders at the bottom. So far they've been painted twice. I found they won't fit 205x75R15s, but they will fit 195x75R15s - now hard to find.

Maybe I just have to get the entire package....

Paul R

PS: Still looking for my February TW now.

Comment

Yes, there was an article in TW about "Old Blue", a 1953 with the fender extensions and continental kit - an aftermarket item sold by ??Huddleton - Whitestone ?? (memory's fading).

Nice story about the original owner's wife purchasing the continental kit new in 1954? I'm sure you can find it in the TW index.

Fender skirts are a rare factory option. I have a pair, but I've yet to have the guts to drill the holes required in the fenders at the bottom. So far they've been painted twice. I found they won't fit 205x75R15s, but they will fit 195x75R15s - now hard to find.

Maybe I just have to get the entire package....

Paul R

PS: Still looking for my February TW now.

Comment

The white car would be lovely if the rear fenders were a foot shorter and would lose the continental kit and skirts.

64 Commander 2 dr.
            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
            63 Avanti R1
            63 Daytona convert
            63 Lark 2 door
            63 Lark 2 door #2
            62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
            62 Lark 2 door
            62 GT Hawk 4 speed
            60 Lark HT
            60 Hawk
            59 3E truck
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

The white car would be lovely if the rear fenders were a foot shorter and would lose the continental kit and skirts.

64 Commander 2 dr.
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
              63 Avanti R1
              63 Daytona convert
              63 Lark 2 door
              63 Lark 2 door #2
              62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
              62 Lark 2 door
              62 GT Hawk 4 speed
              60 Lark HT
              60 Hawk
              59 3E truck
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

It appears to me that the two continental kits are completely diff. The first one has the extended rear fenders and the second one has extended bumper corners. I no nothing about these kits but I have to believe one is a factory assc. and the other a dealer op. Any thoughts???

Comment

It appears to me that the two continental kits are completely diff. The first one has the extended rear fenders and the second one has extended bumper corners. I no nothing about these kits but I have to believe one is a factory assc. and the other a dealer op. Any thoughts???

Comment

quote: It appears to me that the two continental kits are completely diff. The first one has the extended rear fenders and the second one has extended bumper corners. I no nothing about these kits but I have to believe one is a factory assc. and the other a dealer op. Any thoughts???
                    To my knowledge, there never was a factory Continental kit, unless you count the Packard Hawk type that fit on top of the trunk lid.

Here is another kit on a 56 Golden Hawk.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote: It appears to me that the two continental kits are completely diff. The first one has the extended rear fenders and the second one has extended bumper corners. I no nothing about these kits but I have to believe one is a factory assc. and the other a dealer op. Any thoughts???
                      To my knowledge, there never was a factory Continental kit, unless you count the Packard Hawk type that fit on top of the trunk lid.

Here is another kit on a 56 Golden Hawk.

Comment

I think the rear 3/4 view accentuates the continental and is a stunning photo. From any other angle it detracts from what was a perfectly proportioned Bourke design. Still, a 53 C/K with a continental is leagues ahead of the same option on the big 3 of the period. I wouldn't add it to my 53 but it wouldn't deter me from buying one that had it.

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        33 Rockne 10
                        51 commander Starlight
                        53 Commander Starlight
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I think the rear 3/4 view accentuates the continental and is a stunning photo. From any other angle it detracts from what was a perfectly proportioned Bourke design. Still, a 53 C/K with a continental is leagues ahead of the same option on the big 3 of the period. I wouldn't add it to my 53 but it wouldn't deter me from buying one that had it.

Brad Johnson
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          33 Rockne 10
                          51 commander Starlight
                          53 Commander Starlight
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

You will find a fairly comprehensive article on Studebaker "Contintental Kits" in the March 1996 TW pages 40-43.

R. Quinn
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

You will find a fairly comprehensive article on Studebaker "Contintental Kits" in the March 1996 TW pages 40-43.

R. Quinn
                              Richard Quinn
                              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                              X