Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

quote:Originally posted by JDP

The white car would be lovely if the rear fenders were a foot shorter and would lose the continental kit and skirts.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh?

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA

www.davesplaceinc.com
    My thoughts exactly lol. I think the kit kind of takes away from the original lines the car was meant to have. But, that's just my opinion. =P

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
    - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

quote:Originally posted by JDP

The white car would be lovely if the rear fenders were a foot shorter and would lose the continental kit and skirts.
      Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh?

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA

www.davesplaceinc.com
      My thoughts exactly lol. I think the kit kind of takes away from the original lines the car was meant to have. But, that's just my opinion. =P

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
      - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

I agree with Rockne10 on the continental kit. Rear 3/4 view is not bad but side view destroys the original vision of that car.
        Just a personal opinion of course. Skirts, onthe other hand, are not bad especially on the black '55 shown in TW.

Comment

I agree with Rockne10 on the continental kit. Rear 3/4 view is not bad but side view destroys the original vision of that car.
          Just a personal opinion of course. Skirts, onthe other hand, are not bad especially on the black '55 shown in TW.

Comment

A couple of questions about the fender stretch...Were they just to help integrate the continental kit?
            Were they a lot of work to install?

Did anyone ever stretch the fenders on a GT?

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

A couple of questions about the fender stretch...Were they just to help integrate the continental kit?
              Were they a lot of work to install?

Did anyone ever stretch the fenders on a GT?

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I posted this post card before but it is an example (IMHO) of an unfortunate custom. I don't know if anyone offered a stretch kit. Maybe so, but I think some body shops just did their own work. This one looks like it has 55 Plymouth tail lights.

I have always thought the 53 Studebakers were a perfect design just the way they came from the factory. The only thing I think adds a little to the original design are the stainless steel trim rings around the wheel wells like were used on the 57-58 Golden Hawks.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I posted this post card before but it is an example (IMHO) of an unfortunate custom. I don't know if anyone offered a stretch kit. Maybe so, but I think some body shops just did their own work. This one looks like it has 55 Plymouth tail lights.

I have always thought the 53 Studebakers were a perfect design just the way they came from the factory. The only thing I think adds a little to the original design are the stainless steel trim rings around the wheel wells like were used on the 57-58 Golden Hawks.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

They were an aftermarket bolt on. I havn't seen enough of them to guess on the work to install them. To blend them into the fender ? It's a lot of flat panel.
                    Klif

55 Speedster
                    42 Champ Coupe
                    55 Speedster/Street Machine
                    63 Avanti R2
                    64 Convertible R1

Comment

They were an aftermarket bolt on. I havn't seen enough of them to guess on the work to install them. To blend them into the fender ? It's a lot of flat panel.
                      Klif

55 Speedster
                      42 Champ Coupe
                      55 Speedster/Street Machine
                      63 Avanti R2
                      64 Convertible R1

Comment

The extensions would have had to be blended into the original panel. And someone else mentioned looking under one and seeing the original mounting places for the taillights.

LaSalle,Il
                        61Hawk
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The extensions would have had to be blended into the original panel. And someone else mentioned looking under one and seeing the original mounting places for the taillights.

LaSalle,Il
                          61Hawk
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I have seen them done both ways. The last one I saw was in about 1963. It was in the service shop at the Studebaker Center in Seattle, and the extensions had not been filled and smoothed, just bolted on and paint matched.

Dwain G.
                            (We're not called 'hillbillies' any more....we're now Ozark Americans)!
                            D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

I have seen them done both ways. The last one I saw was in about 1963. It was in the service shop at the Studebaker Center in Seattle, and the extensions had not been filled and smoothed, just bolted on and paint matched.

Dwain G.
                              (We're not called 'hillbillies' any more....we're now Ozark Americans)!
                              D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

"The white car would be lovely if the rear fenders were a foot shorter and would lose the continental kit and skirts"

Thanks for the vote of confidence, JDP. (see below) I do think it's lovely.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
                                Tom Bredehoft
                                '53 Commander Coupe
                                '60 Lark VI
                                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                                All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Working...
                                X