Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Glass C-cab front fenders-- may be possible!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Glass C-cab front fenders-- may be possible!

In a recent topic on what repro parts folks would like, I'd mentioned C-cab front fenders in fiberglass. Subsequently, I have exchanged emails with a manufacturer I found on the Internet, Class Glass & Performance.

Basically, they said the only thing that has stopped them from making front fenders is that they have not had a good pair from which to make the molds (They currently make rear fenders). Here is what they said in their last email:

"The fenders do not have to be perfect, we can repair dents etc.. They need to be a good fit to the truck. Making the molds will not damage the fenders unless they are painted and then it may cause the finish to be a little dull. It may be possible to make the fenders with the inners in one piece. If we get fenders to work from we will make them."

Here's a link to their current Stude items:
    http://www.classglassperformance.com...R%20TRUCK.html

So, if "we" can come up with a suitable pair of front fenders to loan them, it would appear that fiberglass fronts could be made available

Mine are cheese grater material, unfortunately...so, who has a good fitting pair to loan to them in Cumberland, Maryland?

NOTE: I don't know if this is where some of our favorite Studebaker vendors are currently getting their 'glass rear fenders. If there are other sources, perhaps they could be contacted as well. My involvement started out as purely investigative/informational but if this is a viable manufacturing resource for other C-cab owners (including myself) I'd be happy to continue to run point.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Thanks for lookin' into this, Bob. I'd buy a set of they were of good fit and finish. Let's hope someone will come up with a pair to pattern from on the right coast. I'd lend mine to the cause if there wasn't so much distance involved.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for lookin' into this, Bob. I'd buy a set of they were of good fit and finish. Let's hope someone will come up with a pair to pattern from on the right coast. I'd lend mine to the cause if there wasn't so much distance involved.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ya know, we've got a list of Stude truck farmers as long as your arm. SURELY - one of them lives on the east coast and has a useable pair of fenders lying about that would serve as mold masters.
        Again, if I wasn't on the wrong coast, I'd lend the fenders off MY driver to see that front fenders could be made available for the many Stude trucks that are being brought back to life now and in the future.

We could sure use some glass hoods as well! Heck, they might end up being better than the originals![:0][^]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Ya know, we've got a list of Stude truck farmers as long as your arm. SURELY - one of them lives on the east coast and has a useable pair of fenders lying about that would serve as mold masters.
          Again, if I wasn't on the wrong coast, I'd lend the fenders off MY driver to see that front fenders could be made available for the many Stude trucks that are being brought back to life now and in the future.

We could sure use some glass hoods as well! Heck, they might end up being better than the originals![:0][^]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I posted on the Studebaker Truck Talk forum as well and have been contacted by two guys so far. The next step is to get close-up pics of the candidate fenders so I can send 'em to the manufacturer to make sure they cut the mustard before inconveniencing the fenders' owner(s) further.

Another item for comment is whether the glass fenders should be outers only or one-piece inner/outer (they said they could do that). My gut says make outers only to use with steel inners but I don't know what problems that may cause. What are the pluses and minuses of both ways?

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

I posted on the Studebaker Truck Talk forum as well and have been contacted by two guys so far. The next step is to get close-up pics of the candidate fenders so I can send 'em to the manufacturer to make sure they cut the mustard before inconveniencing the fenders' owner(s) further.

Another item for comment is whether the glass fenders should be outers only or one-piece inner/outer (they said they could do that). My gut says make outers only to use with steel inners but I don't know what problems that may cause. What are the pluses and minuses of both ways?

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Just do the outers for sure, the glass will not support the weight of the battery and battery box plus the other structures.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
                63 Avanti R1
                63 Daytona convert
                63 Lark 2 door
                63 Lark 2 door #2
                62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                62 Lark 2 door
                62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                60 Lark HT
                60 Hawk
                59 3E truck
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Just do the outers for sure, the glass will not support the weight of the battery and battery box plus the other structures.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
                  63 Avanti R1
                  63 Daytona convert
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  63 Lark 2 door #2
                  62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                  60 Lark HT
                  60 Hawk
                  59 3E truck
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

On any fiberglass front fenders that I have used, I have only used them as outers. I think that it is good, and safer, to keep the steel inner fenders for a street driven vehicle. For a vehicle that is only going to be raced, then I can see an all (inner with outer) fiberglass fender to help keep the weight down.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

On any fiberglass front fenders that I have used, I have only used them as outers. I think that it is good, and safer, to keep the steel inner fenders for a street driven vehicle. For a vehicle that is only going to be raced, then I can see an all (inner with outer) fiberglass fender to help keep the weight down.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The inners would probably be easy for them to do as part of the whole fender. However, the air ducts incorpoated into the inner fenders might pose a problem. Best just use the metal inners.[8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

Comment

The inners would probably be easy for them to do as part of the whole fender. However, the air ducts incorpoated into the inner fenders might pose a problem. Best just use the metal inners.[8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I agree with the other comments; if they choose to make molds of the inners that would be cool but I'd keep them 2-piece units so that they could be used either way. It's not like your average Stude owner would be totally scared of bonding two pieces of fiberglass together I can't see how they would make the inners without making them two separate pieces anyway, so there would be three pieces total (outer, and two pieces for the inners.)

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I agree with the other comments; if they choose to make molds of the inners that would be cool but I'd keep them 2-piece units so that they could be used either way. It's not like your average Stude owner would be totally scared of bonding two pieces of fiberglass together I can't see how they would make the inners without making them two separate pieces anyway, so there would be three pieces total (outer, and two pieces for the inners.)

nate

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                              X