57 Clipper wagon from Mecum auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Clipper wagon from Mecum auction

The Clipper wagon that was in the Mecum auction back in October was bought by Wayne Carini, the guy that is in Portland CT near me. I had a chance to look at it last week. Man, it is gorgeous! It's actually too nice to drive. It got a frame off job, with everything done very nicely. There are a couple of nits to pick, but not many. The fabric is close, but not quite right, the sc isn't on it yet, but he has it. The Packard and Clipper emblems aren't on the tailgate, and the Clipper emblem on the dash is the one that should be on the tail gate. The oil filter is mounted on the bottom of the right inner fender, just behind the radiator. The dash is sweet, almost like the original. It's missing the license lamp emblem. Other than what I have listed, it's all there. He bought it for 47,500 and is asking 69,500.

Chip
    '63 Cruiser daily driver
    '57 Packard wagon on the road!
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

I wonder if he is the one who called looking for an emblem? Did you show him your car or emblem?

57 & 58 Packards and Larks

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 58PackardWagon

I wonder if he is the one who called looking for an emblem? Did you show him your car or emblem?

57 & 58 Packards and Larks
      I'm pretty sure it's the same guy, but I haven't talked to him about it, yet. He saw my wagon briefly in April at that Cars and Coffee event I posted about a couple of weeks ago.

Chip
      '63 Cruiser daily driver
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

That's a lot of cabbage!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

That's a lot of cabbage!!
          It is, but the car is REALLY nice!

Chip
          '63 Cruiser daily driver
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Is he related to Dr. L. Carini, who was active in SDC in CT in the 1970s?

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Is he related to Dr. L. Carini, who was active in SDC in CT in the 1970s?

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              I don't know. His father lives in CT. I'll ask the next time I see him.

Chip
              '63 Cruiser daily driver
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Of course this is the same Wayne Carini seen often on HD Theater's Chasing Classic Cars TV show. A must see for classic car people.

Tim-Custom '53 Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ (Last snow here was in 1934)
                Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
                https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Comment

quote:Originally posted by paintim613

Of course this is the same Wayne Carini seen often on HD Theater's Chasing Classic Cars TV show. A must see for classic car people.

Tim-Custom '53 Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ (Last snow here was in 1934)
                  Yes, that's the same guy.

Chip
                  '63 Cruiser daily driver
                  Chip
                  '63 Cruiser
                  '57 Packard wagon
                  '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

It's hard to believe a Packard Wagon can demand that kind of money, no matter what the cost of restoration was.
                    Klif

55 Speedster
                    63 Avanti R2
                    63 Lark R2
                    55 Speedster/Street Machine
                    63 Avanti R2
                    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Link to the car with photos.

http://www.f40.com/inventorymanager....view&Id=259769

Bob Langer
                      Glenshaw,PA

63R-2809 R-2

Bob Langer
                      Glenshaw,PA

Comment

I also would have thought that this price was high - but then again if someone really wants it, money is no object (if they have the $).

While the Packard wagon is a nice car, I have never understood the value of wagons. I would prefer to have a nice driver wagon.

There were a few frame-offs that sold in the $20s at BJ. I'm not sure a frame off can be done for that price unless you don't count your time.

Timing is everything too.

Comment

I think conventional wisdom 'out there' is that the '57 and '58 Packards don't bring much money. However, I think that after looking at them on eBay for at least the past couple of years, that's a lot of hooey!

I've had this discussion with the Classic Car moderator on the Edmunds forum. He actually told me less than a month ago it was his belief that Packard Hawks bring only 1/2 as much money as a '56 Golden Hawk! This guy's attitude on a lot of things is, "I have waved my wand and spoken, and I have spoken the gospel"!

This month's Hemmings Classic Car seems to perpetuate that 'wisdom', in its otherwise very good article on Packardbakers.

It is my experience...and this was confirmed by a fellow in our local SDC chapter who has owned both Detroit Packards and Packardbakers...that except for Caribbeans and the very best Four Hundred models, '57 and '58 Packards will bring more bids and more money than '50's Detroit Packards in the same body style and level of condition.

Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
                          '64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                          X