battery cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery cover

Does anyone know who sells the old style covers to put on modern batteries.

I think you mean the fake tar top cover for Group (1) 6 Volt Batteries?

By 1963 Studebaker, had sealed top Batteries on their own 12V "Studebaker Batteries", but prior to '63 they did use a tar top Willard 12V Batt. and those reproductions ARE available for a "PRICE"! [:0]

The Delco and Mopar 12V fake sealed top covers, with 6 fake caps would be usable only on a Chrysler Product or a GM Product.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ajarman

Does anyone know who sells the old style covers to put on modern batteries.
      battery topper

http://www.batterytoppers.com/products/

and

http://www.tartopper.com/

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

If you're also interested in the reproduction batteries, here's a link:
        http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/

As Rich mentioned, some Studebakers came with Willard tar tops. I have 1959-1960 factory literature that also has Globe 12V batteries listed as another option. I always wondered if the battery manufacturer brand on a battery was questioned during judging at meets since there were more than one brand offered.

Did they roll off the line with only Willard batteries for the earlier Larks and Hawks and the dealers then sold other approved brands, as well? If proof that a dealer sold other brands that were approved by the factory, would they still be correct at a concours in the stock classes?

Like others, I have a stock Delco system in my Lark. I know Delco made sealed 12V 6 cap batteries close to the year for my Lark. I found an original one in the box date coded. GM cars offered them stock as they obviously had Delco systems, too. Were they just more expensive and Studebaker didn't install them? I would imagine, depending on the dealer, Delco vendors had them available if so desired since they were delivering parts to dealers anyway. Seems like an all Delco electric system would make sense with a matching battery, but I can't recall seeing a Delco battery offered in any Studebaker literature.

Comment

Delco never happened Dave, all Studebakers' came with Willard batteries, there would have been a better chance that they had Autolite Batteries.

It would have to be a really special ordered car for a Globe battery Dealer or something, to have one factory installed, most Dealers never had the Globe Batteries either, the Dealers could have ordered them, most did not.

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
          X