VIN Location on 56 Power Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN Location on 56 Power Hawk

I live in NC and recently sold & shipped my 56 Power Hawk to a man in California. Sent NC Title that includes the VIN. He asked, where is the VIN located on car? Told him is was on the driver side door post. Not there, he says; removed or dropped off. I told him to look on the rear frame cross member where it was engraved. He says he is unable to locate the VIN on crossmember and the California DMV wants to verify the VIN. I've had the car since 2001 and know the person who had it for 20 or more years prior. Any ideas on how I can establish or prove the VIN that shows up on the NC title and registration?

I don't see how you can verify the VIN if the car doesn't have one on it.

California is generally pretty easy on registering old cars. If I was the buyer, I'd find one of those private services that does DMV work for licensed sellers and tell them the true story. Hopefully they will know the "route" to get the car titled. It might involve a notarized statement from you (or something to that effect). You may want to do this leg work for the buyer.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hello Dick: Thank you, that sounds like good advice. Didn't know there was such a service, but do you have any idea how I'd go about contacting one of those private services that do DMV work? I assume it would be a private titling service in San Diego,CA where the new buyer is? Thanks again for your help. Lee Dunn, New Bern, NC [ldunn@suddenlink.net]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lee Dunn

Hello Dick: Thank you, that sounds like good advice. Didn't know there was such a service, but do you have any idea how I'd go about contacting one of those private services that do DMV work? I assume it would be a private titling service in San Diego,CA where the new buyer is? Thanks again for your help. Lee Dunn, New Bern, NC [ldunn@suddenlink.net]
        I don't have any contacts for you. Maybe one of the California folks here does.

If not, just call the California DMV and explain your situation. You might get lucky and get someone who not only cares, but is knowledgeable. (I know...chances are slim )

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

The Calif. Highway Patrol uses a shop in Barstow near their CHP Station that locates the vin. for them for a fee, if [u]they</u> can not.
          There have to be other Loc's. in So. Cal. The CHP has the book on where to look, but we know it is in the center of the car on the outer flange of the rear crossmember "U" channel and a better look or wire wheel will locate it if there is still any trace left.

Has he checked the Interior of the car, under seat, glovebox for the Vin. plate? If it actually WAS there when it left your Loc., it could be IN the car now.

I hope he can get it resolved with the original Vin. but if not Calif. will assign one of their own Cal. #'s for a Vin. on a Foil sticker, NOT the best thing for an original collector car!

UPDATE: Added missing comma! [:0] Thanks Matt!

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Has he checked the Interior of the car, under seat glovebox for the Vin. plate?
            What's an underseat glovebox? Mine only has one of those in the dash...

Matthew Burnette
            Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

I can't seem to find the info you need right now, but down in the San Diego area there is a business that can help. The one I'm thinking of is in El Cajon. Contact a San Diego County SDC member and ask them-- they'll know who you're looking for!!! He has helped many of them with all sorts of issues, and has also come to a meeting or two with plenty of good advice~ and funny tales from the Cali DMV...

http://www.studebakersandiego.com/

StudeDave '57 [8D]
              Ferndale, WA

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
              '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
              '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
              '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Forget all of those methods. I bought a 49 truck that didn't have a vin plate. I went to Home depot and bought a piece of aluminum, soaked it in battery acid for a while, put a decal on it and took it to a trophy shop and had them engrave the numbers off the title onto it. The DMV verifier didn't bat an eye.

Comment

Now I've got a serious problem. The new San Diego purchaser says that the VIN plate on the driver-side door jamb is missing and his mechanic cannot find any numbers on the rear frame cross member. As a result, he says that he wants his money back and that I should also pay for the shipping to and from California from North Carolina [about $2,000]. He claims that he contacted a local office that assists in getting California titles but they said that they could not help and that the California DMV would issue some form of a blue plate [?] VIN in which he could never sell the car. Does that sound right? Any suggestions [short of blowing the car up]? Would sincerely appreciate any help that members might have had with lost VIN's.

Lee Dunn
                  ldunn@suddenlink.net

Comment

After over 50 years, how does the serial plate just fall off? And why would anyone steal it? I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the door post where the plate 'should' be. If it was pried/drilled/torn off, you'd likely be able to tell.

Comment

Did you ever have an original purchase order for the car? That P.O. has the matching VIN numbers on it to the body tag on the passenger side cowl and the engine number. If it's the original engine, those should all line up for you, the DMV and this guy. Either way, you should have the serial number on the NC title to match with a Purchase Order. Get a Purchase Order from the Museum if you do not have one and send it to them asap! Or have the Museum fax it to the officials. Much cheaper than buying it back. It will at least match the body tag and should be good enough to get it fixed. Thorough pictures of a car one is selling and buying is a must.

Did you ever take pictures of that tag to sell it in the first place? That is a pretty common practice. If I were buying a car, I would want to check that number before I bought it. The odometer, too. That picture may save you with this. This guy better be patient. The DMV is just scaring him. If you can prove it had the serial plate before it left, you'll be fine. Buyers remorse may be the real problem here. Has he sent pictures of where the tag was??? There should now be a big blank space there. Asking for all of his money back is ridiculous. Sounds fishy there if you have been honest on your end.

Is there anyone on the Forum in San Diego that can help point out the faint cross member number for this guy? Proof that this is a "real" problem would be my first move, then get someone to calm this buyer down and help prove there is a legit way to get the correct numbers.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lee Dunn
                        He claims that he contacted a local office that assists in getting California titles but they said that they could not help and that the California DMV would issue some form of a blue plate [?] VIN in which he could never sell the car. Does that sound right?

I think Rich in a post above already indicated that...

"I hope he can get it resolved with the original Vin. but if not Calif. will assign one of their own Cal. #'s for a Vin. on a Foil sticker, NOT the best thing for an original collector car! "

When you think about it, what is the DMV's choice? If there is no VIN on the vehicle but the owner can prove he came by it legitimately, then they have to issue some sort of a VIN.

Your buyer CAN resell the car. No problem. He is probably concerned because a future buyer will probably ask to see the serial number plate. Something he didn't do, but as barnlark indicates, most buyers do. The lack of a factory serial number plate MAY limit the number of buyers interested in the car (and hence the price) but won't limit his ability to resell it.

Was the plate on the door jamb when you shipped the car?

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Make him a plate and say you found it. Send it to him and be done with it. Also, I wouldn't take for gospel anything he says that he was told; I doubt he's that good of a listener. You can say it came with the car and wasn't attached when you bought it. But wihtout a vin plate, I could see where somebody might get upset.

Comment

Just a follow-up. I went to the California DMV website and found a phone number to contact them. I talked to a DMV technican who was very helpful. She said that even if the VIN plate was missing and the serial number on the frame could not be located, they would give the new owner a new VIN plate and a CA title so long as the serial number was known and the out-of-state seller had owned the car for a number of years and had good title. She said to fill out the application form and bring the car to the DMV for inspection. The new owner did and he got the car registered. Alls well that ends well. Halleluiah!!

Comment

Working...
                            X