Swapping Front Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping Front Ends

I have a 60 lark but I really like the 62 front end. Can the two years be swapped some how! The 62 has vent air intake on the cowl but the 60 has no cowl. Any one have experience with this?

I'm only guessing when I say that I think the grill panel can be swapped, therefor leaving the existing fenders and hood. However this would involve cutting out spot welds and then welding the other panel back in.

Lark ala mode
    In the middle of Minnesota
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

You could sell the '60 and buy a '62. (I had to really work hard to develop this idea!)

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

You need to change every thing fenders, hood, front panel, grille lights ect. been there done that...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
        canbstudebakers-
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Hood won't fit. this has been discussed several times on these forums; everything *looks* like it will line up, but when you go to put the hood on it all goes to heck in a handbasket. The '61-63 hoods won't bolt onto the '60 hinges/cowl, and the '60 hood won't line up with the '61-63 nose piece. Also the curvature of the rear of the hood is slightly different, but close enough that it could be bent to fit (if you somehow managed to get the hinges to work, that is.)

Also, the lower rear corner of the fenders is different, but that's a minor issue compared to the "hood doesn't fit" issue.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I have a really nice 62 2 door sedan in Texas for sale.
            Bo

Comment

Working...
            X