Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwedsh
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the info! I'm pretty sure it's power as I had no trouble steering it at slow speeds.

• StudeRich
    commented on 's reply
    He NEVER came back Gord in 13 Years, so by now he probably junked it, Lol!

• gordr
    replied
    Until we establish exactly what part the OP needs, this thread is going nowhere. Yanqui, you need to post photos of the part you need to replace.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    That is just how older Cars were. There is only ONE correct Pitman Arm for your Car.

However there ARE quick Steering Arms that replace the steering arms on Both King Pins that will slightly improve that, but thousands of these Cars drove just fine as built for Millions of Miles, so I see no need to change anything.

If you have a Power Steering equipped '55 President or Commander (One or the other) it has one of the Best Power Steering Systems ever made a "Saginaw", so that Power Steering Gear Box should be kept, if that is what it is.

If this '55 has a Manual Steering Gear you will know it, because is much harder to turn especially when stopped. And you definitely do NOT want Quick Steering Arms on a Manual Steering Car.
    Start the Engine and see if you can turn it with one finger.

The Guy who started this Post 13 Years ago, was just looking for a missing Part apparently, not related to your issue.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-09-2022, 06:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Norwedsh
    replied
    I hope this is related; my dad has a '55 Studebaker President Commander. I think it has power steering but I know it takes a lot of turns of the steering wheel to turn the car. I have heard that a longer pitman arm can significantly improve that and was wondering where I can get one. When I look for pitman arms, as far as I can tell they're to replace the original part. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a comment:

• 58PackardWagon
    replied
    I have the part for sure off of a 57 Packard. I will dig in my parts this weekend and advise.

57 & 58 Packards and Larks

Leave a comment:

• Yanqui84@gmail.com
    replied
    ok. Thanks you guys really know your stuff. Well I have decide am not going to brake my head. We are just going to put everything from the car part to this one. Now i have a concern, I have a chevy 350 small block, you think i might have any clearance problem? Do i have to modified anything from original steering? I hope the engine is not on my way.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Yanqui84@gmail.com

/Cut/ but i do believe that my pitman arm is not integrate with the power steering gear box (please correct me if am wrong) regardless I wil check tomorrow.
    No that is not the right part either, it is for Standard (Manual) Steering. Didn't we decide that your car HAS Power Steering?

The Pitman arm is not a non-removable part of the Steering Gear, but the Hydraulic control valve and ram ACTION part of the power steering IS! This type has only two rubber flex hoses that go to the Pump, not FOUR like the Bendix type power steering does.

I think this is what we are dealing with:

StudeRich

Leave a comment:

• Yanqui84@gmail.com
    replied
    Thanks Stude,

I came accross a guy on the internet by the name "skip" he claims to have a studebaker that he is parting out and he told me that the part#1541938 i looked it up in a studebaker international book i found inside my car and I also found it here http://www.studebaker-intl.com/PDF/Suspension.pdf item #12 on the picture and i think this is the one I need it says " Arm. 1957-60 V8 all models,1959 6cyl ..........Hawk & Convertible.$42.35 ea." I will confirm tomorrow saturday when i go see the part car but i do believe that my pitman arm is not integrate with the power steering gear box (please correct me if am wrong) regardless I wil check tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    465910 is a '56 Packard Part number, NOT '57-'58 Studebaker/Packard, it will not work.

For a '57 Studebaker or Packard [u]with Saginaw Power Steering</u>, built into the steering GEAR you want Pitman Arm part #534348

StudeRich

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Does not look right.

Leave a comment:

• Yanqui84@gmail.com
    replied
    I found this one on ebay, would this one work for my 57 president?
    Anybody know the part# for the 57 president sedan pitman?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-...1#ht_500wt_956

Leave a comment:

• Yanqui84@gmail.com
    replied
    Those are my plans if after doing this custom pitman dont work, am switching everything from my part car, but since the car is 90% finish i dont want to take apart all the work the mechanic did. I have faith that if my father and I do a good job on this custom pitman the car will run nice, so i need another original pitman anybody please.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    In your case it may be better to take the complete power steering system from your other (parts) car, IF your Red car has a original Studebaker front suspension ("A" arms, King Pins etc.) on it.

StudeRich

Leave a comment:

• Yanqui84@gmail.com
    replied
    Ok I called a u pick here in miami and "sin fin" is steering gear box or rock and pinion depends on the car, in my case is steering gear box, so i need the original steering gear box pitman arm.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X