57 President Pitman needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 President Pitman needed

Hello everyone Im in need of a drivers side pitman , anybody happens to be selling one or might guide me where I can get one? Thanks

Didn't the 58 Packard use the same?

57 & 58 Packards and Larks

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 58PackardWagon

Didn't the 58 Packard use the same?
      57 & 58 Packards and Larks
      Without checking the Parts Catalog, I believe '57 Packards had Saginaw integral P/S and '58's had Bendix 3 piece setup if they are like Studebakers' were.

If both are manual, no problem.

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you guys for the help, so do anybody have a 57 President sedan or 57 Packard Pitman laying around that would sell it to me please or know where i can get one.

Comment

Yanq,

It's a bit confusing to me that you ask for a "drivers side" pitman. If your President is all original it would only have ONE pitman arm - and it would be on the drivers side.

I ask this question, because you showed us photos in your first postings here that showed some sort of different steering arrangement on your car. Some different old cars had a pitman arm on the steering gear box AND what's called an "Idler Arm" on the passenger's side of the car. The last year Studebaker had an idler arm was 1950. SO.... what are you wanting here? Original stuff, or some modified piece? Wasn't there a pitman arm on the "parts car" you got?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Only one Pitman Arm to a vehicle. Just for clarification, when you said driver's side, does that mean are you looking for a steering arm attached to the steering knuckle at the left front wheel?

Comment

What happen was that I picked up my car form the mechanic because we originally had agreed that he was going to charge me $1000 to install new disc brakes system,and power steering, because when I bought the car the job was half way done and some electrical work and the other day he told me he wanted $1800 in order for me to be able to take my car out of his house if not i wasnt going to get it. So what I did was next morning i showed up at his house with the cops and took my car to my house.

We were inspecting what was the car needing to finish and we have to customize the original pitman with the pitman that the "sin fin" that was adapted to the car am sorry I don't know how to say it in english in Spanish is known by that. So we have to weld the original pitman and the pitman that the " sin fin" brought. I do have the original pitman of my part car, but i dont want to touch it just in case all the work that my mechanic did dont work we can just put the original power steering configuration into my car. Please feel free to make suggestions and comments as im learning everyday from you guys.

Comment

Ok I called a u pick here in miami and "sin fin" is steering gear box or rock and pinion depends on the car, in my case is steering gear box, so i need the original steering gear box pitman arm.

Comment

In your case it may be better to take the complete power steering system from your other (parts) car, IF your Red car has a original Studebaker front suspension ("A" arms, King Pins etc.) on it.

StudeRich
                  StudeRich

Comment

Those are my plans if after doing this custom pitman dont work, am switching everything from my part car, but since the car is 90% finish i dont want to take apart all the work the mechanic did. I have faith that if my father and I do a good job on this custom pitman the car will run nice, so i need another original pitman anybody please.

Comment

I found this one on ebay, would this one work for my 57 president?
                      Anybody know the part# for the 57 president sedan pitman?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-...1#ht_500wt_956

Comment

Does not look right.

Comment

465910 is a '56 Packard Part number, NOT '57-'58 Studebaker/Packard, it will not work.

For a '57 Studebaker or Packard [u]with Saginaw Power Steering</u>, built into the steering GEAR you want Pitman Arm part #534348

StudeRich
                          StudeRich

Comment

Thanks Stude,

I came accross a guy on the internet by the name "skip" he claims to have a studebaker that he is parting out and he told me that the part#1541938 i looked it up in a studebaker international book i found inside my car and I also found it here http://www.studebaker-intl.com/PDF/Suspension.pdf item #12 on the picture and i think this is the one I need it says " Arm. 1957-60 V8 all models,1959 6cyl ..........Hawk & Convertible.$42.35 ea." I will confirm tomorrow saturday when i go see the part car but i do believe that my pitman arm is not integrate with the power steering gear box (please correct me if am wrong) regardless I wil check tomorrow.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Yanqui84@gmail.com

/Cut/ but i do believe that my pitman arm is not integrate with the power steering gear box (please correct me if am wrong) regardless I wil check tomorrow.
                              No that is not the right part either, it is for Standard (Manual) Steering. Didn't we decide that your car HAS Power Steering?

The Pitman arm is not a non-removable part of the Steering Gear, but the Hydraulic control valve and ram ACTION part of the power steering IS! This type has only two rubber flex hoses that go to the Pump, not FOUR like the Bendix type power steering does.

I think this is what we are dealing with:

StudeRich
                              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                              X