1953 Looking For

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Looking For

We are currently working on a 53 Champion Hardtop. Project is in the final phases of completion, and we have come up on a couple missing/damaged parts.

Does anyone have a drivers/left side Window flipper in good-great condition?

Also, here is a real dilema;

Through my research, I have come to find that, the Deflector/Rear Bumper Gravel, part# 533578P (chassis parts catalog) is a totally different piece than the part used on the 54 models (part# 535135P.) Does anybody have the correct piece for the 53. From what I have read, the 54 deflector is about 5 1/2" tall and has an exhaust cutout in it, whereas the 53 is about 1 1/2" tall and can barely be seen, if at all.

I have located a piece at Classic Ent. labeled as "lower rear valence (gravel deflector)" From what I have seen, to me, this looks like the piece that came on the 54's...correct? or will it work on the 53.

We have made a few comfort changes on the car, but other than that, trying to keep as much original as possible, and dont want to make a "mistake" on this part.

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

Lane Johnson
    Street Rod Concepts

The '53 part is pretty simple. You could make one with a wide enough sheet metal brake and some snips. Its all flat with only a bend in it as the pix below show. All it really does is hide the wiring for the tail lights and the license plate lights. Bolts to the rear X member on the frame with 3 bolts. The '54 and later ones are larger and painted body color with a notch (or 2 for duals) for the exhaust tail pipe.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I thjink a sedan is the same. If you have a parts cat.
      check

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Thanks Jeff for the pics. That is exactly what I was looking for. I can fab one of those up in no time. I have had a couple people tell me to just put the 54 piece on there, which I am not to sure about. What is everyone elses opinion. I just dont want my customer to get "called out" at a meet or show for having the 54 valence on a 53.

Comment

If it's entered as a "Custom" there will be no authenticity deductions.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          ....On the road, again....
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks for the picture Jeff_H.

That's what the one on my '53 looks like.
            I thought it was homemade and was going to try
            to find a correct one. Guess it's correct after all.

Comment

Look at photo. Can any one identify the purpose of the half round piece of steel ?. There is one on each frame rail.

Richard

Comment

quote:Can any one identify the purpose of the half round piece of steel ?.
                Those are skid plates. Supposed to protect the gas tank and bottom of the bumper from hitting the road when the rear wheels drop into the gutter when driving out of a steep driveway onto the street.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Those skid plates also act as a great deterrent for tailgaters. I was driving home from work many years ago when my 54 used to be sort of "jacked up" in the back. A Trans Am was following me real close. Suddenly traffic came to a sudden stop. He did not stop in time and nose-dived under me. The left skid plate cut a neat gash in his hood. No damage to my car. He was fit to be tied. I asked if he was OK, but he just cussed. We exchanged info and off we went. I never spent a dime to fix my car, but I'm sure his was in serious need of surgery.

sals54
                  sals54

Comment

I thought those were to keep the front wheels from coming too far off the ground..

Comment

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Rockne10,
                        Some dimensions would be great. All I really need is the layout of the piece. I can make the cutouts when I fit it to the car. Thank You

Lane

Comment

Use the top weather/window seals from a 62-63-64 Hawk snd eliminate the need for the flippers. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I would use the correct size piece on the rear of the 1953. Either get a used one or fabricate it.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree with you gary, plus it is going to be a very easy piece to make.

Comment

Working...
                              X