Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Murphy
    replied
    55champion, I started flying R/C in Palm Springs around 75, bought my fourth bike in 89, a 87 Harley FXR and still got it, my second bike was a 71 Norton 850 Commando I paid $1595.00 off the showroom floor and wish I still had it.

Dwain G., The Tii was the hot rod 2002 of its day (in THIS country) the 2002 Tii TURBO never made it here except in the gray market. Never ran across that oil problem you mentioned but we DID have some porous blocks for a while.

sdude, There was another Carlos Murphy's in Pleasanton (20 years ago) and that's partly where I got my alias. When I joined SASS "Single Action Shooting Society" I was the 873'rd member and today there are over 80,000 members world wide, check out www.sassnet.com

Thanks every one for the kind words and encouragement, looking foreword to being a contributor.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    I like them all (some more than others). I have owned four Studebaker trucks. Two were stock and two were resto-rods with sub-frames and 350/400 GM engines.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    Welcome Chuck. You're gonna love driving an R series truck. I love mine.

BTW, I used to eat at a restaurant called Carlos Murphys in Stockton California. It served Irish/mexican quisine. They went out of business many years ago.

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Welcome Carlos,
    Remember the 2002tii? In the early '70s I had a customer that wanted me to repair the oil useage in his 30,000 mile car. Dealer had said cyl. leakage was within limits, nothing to fix. I found no. 3 cyl. scored by floating wrist pin and no evidence that keepers had ever been installed on that piston. Asked the Seattle dealer to have district service rep. call me. I thought he would be interested in knowing about this and maybe help the customer out too. Bottom line, he didn't believe me, said that couldn't have possibly happened!

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Welcome , love those R series trucks ....you'll have fun no matter whats under the hood

[IMG]
    Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    1966 Daytona SS

Leave a comment:

• Invalid User Name
    replied
    Be careful Chuck, this forum is almost as adictive as Studebakers themselves. Welcome.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

Leave a comment:

• Eugene
    replied
    Welcome to the Forum Chuck... Your truck sounds like you will have lots of fun with it. Post some pictures for us. Gene.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    Be warned. Studebakers are like potato chips,once you have one you will want another and another... The forum is a good place for help/advice. Welcome.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    Chuck welcome to the group. As for me, I own both all original cars and modified ones. yes, they are all Studebakers and I love then all. To each his own so drive your truck and enjoy it. i drive mine and I do enjoy each one.

Leave a comment:

• 55champion
    replied
    Sounds like a nice ride. I have owned Street Rods and they are fun to drive. As has been said do it your way and enjoy.
    I noticed you are a R/C flyer,so am I, been in that hobby since 1974.I enjoy the scale end of that hobby.I also have a 2009 Road king Classic,but due to a hand injury 2 months ago my riding days are over and the Harley is going to have to go to a new home as soon as I find a buyer.

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    As a purist, let me just say this. Love it, drive it, make it beautiful. All Studebaker owners have a personality and so do their Studebakers. Let that personality show.

Hurry up with the pics!!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Leave a comment:

• Carlos Murphy
    started a topic New old guy here...

New old guy here...

Just signed up but joined SDC 9/09 #A011554P

Earlier this year I bought my first Stude, a 1950 2R pickup.
    It was built as a hot rod about 20 years ago, found it on craigslist/reno and bought it from the builders widow.

It has a Chevy 350 with Q-jet, Turbo 350, Ford 8", Ford disc on the front drop axle, 1954 Buick headlights frenched, a full gauge panel and the stock front bumper and entire grill is chrome. So far I've replaced the fuel tanks, transfer system was inop and the gas in the aux tank was years old judging by the stink, I've installed a spun aluminum tank in the bed.

Hope I'm not rubbing the purists the wrong way...

I've installed Pie Crust cheaters slicks with port-a-walls on the rear (where else?) and am waiting for bias belted white walls to arrive from Coker for the fronts.

I'm cleaning up the well used tail gate and installing 1953 Chevy tail lights in the ends of the bed sides, a 1947 Chevy sun visor, dummy spotlights and she'll be semigloss black with some pin striping.

Will post pics when I can but can email pics on request.

Chuck Pringle
    Retired BMW tech of 33 years.
    Harley rider.
    R/C flier.
    Cowboy action shooter (alias Carlos Murphy)
    4-wheelin off roader.

Working...
X