Is the drivers club logo licensed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the drivers club logo licensed?

I am fast approaching having my travel trailer finished. I would like to paint the Studebaker Drivers Club wheel on the back but was wondering if I need to get permission. It would be easy for people to spot and would probably be good advertising for us. I have a bullet nose golf cart front end that I am going to build into the front cowl so it will be all Studebaker. Can anyone shed some light on the legality of using the logo.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

Yes, it is a Registered Trademark by SDC and yes, you need permission to use it on anything. See page three of Turning Wheels for usage and contact information.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks Gary. That answers that question.

Doug
      Venice, Florida
      1950 Champion
      9G F1

Comment

The "fine" print...

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island Chapter
        http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander
        Zone Coordinator
        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Sounds like you can just go ahead and use it as long as your dues are paid.

"except that a... individual member in good standing may display any or all of them..."

Jeff DeWitt
          http://carolinastudes.net
          Jeff DeWitt
          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Or course I keep finding out it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

This has more to do with outside stuff and not necessarily Studebaker goodies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2161.27)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

In June 2007 the SDC Board adopted more detailed logo usage guidelines for commercial, chapter and member. Here in part is what the guidelines say about logo usage:

In addition, the logo guidelines address things like approved colors and do's/don't's in using the logo. The guidelines were made available to SDC chapter presidents and newsletter editors. For those interested, you can download the guideline brochure at http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...Guide_6.07.pdf

As a member in good standing you'd be able to have the SDC logo painted on the back of your travel trailer as a one-off thing and as long as it was reproduced correctly and accurately.

Mr. Swanson does request that chapters and members send him documentation of such things for his trademark and historical records.

BTW, the phrase, "Studebaker Drivers Club" is also a registered trademark as is Turning Wheels.

If in doubt (because there are are always odd ball situations), feel free to contact Mr. Swanson. In a pinch, you could contact me but I'm just his parttime helper so to speak.

BShaw, Webmaster
                webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
                Woodbury, Minnesota
                sigpic
                Bob Shaw
                Rush City, Minnesota
                1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Thanks Mr. Shaw. I will go directly to Mr. Swanson and get permission. That will eliminate any "discussion" about it in the future.

Doug
                  Venice, Florida
                  1950 Champion
                  9G F1

Comment

Another good reason to notify SDC/Swanson is that to maintain a Trademark it must be monitored and "policed". With Swanson getting requests and issuing permission to use the Trademark, it shows that SDC is monitoring/"policing" their Trademark.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                    X