Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indiana members. A little info please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana members. A little info please...

This is an inquiry for the members living in the Indiana area. Southern Michigan would help as well. What are the DMV taxes and fees like in your area? Do you pay separate fees to the local government (ie: city, villiage council, county, etc...)? How is the local government in your area about your parts vehicles and projects? Thanks in advance!

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

My Studebaker Lark runs 47.75 per year but I have a Indiana veterans plate on it, my 8E12 runs 41.75 per year for regular Indiana truck plates,same for my 5E13. The state BMV collects all fees and distributes them to the counties. The county gets $12.00 of the above fees.

I live in Harrison County and most people around here tolerate "machinery collectors" as it is a rural farming area. The North and eastern parts of the county however are changing with subdivisions sprouting like weeds, and the publics tolerance will probably change with influx of people migrating from Louisville,KY metro area.
    The next county to the west Crawford has little or no zoning, a large percentage of that county is either state park or national forest.

Counties along I64 in Indiana, I'd say Harrison County to any county just east of Evansville IN, you'd be pretty well off in terms of parts cars and projects, as long as you stay out of towns and small citys, which vary wildly in tolerance levels.

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28
    4E2
    59 Lark
    etc

Comment

My Studebaker Lark runs 47.75 per year but I have a Indiana veterans plate on it, my 8E12 runs 41.75 per year for regular Indiana truck plates,same for my 5E13. The state BMV collects all fees and distributes them to the counties. The county gets $12.00 of the above fees.

I live in Harrison County and most people around here tolerate "machinery collectors" as it is a rural farming area. The North and eastern parts of the county however are changing with subdivisions sprouting like weeds, and the publics tolerance will probably change with influx of people migrating from Louisville,KY metro area.
      The next county to the west Crawford has little or no zoning, a large percentage of that county is either state park or national forest.

Counties along I64 in Indiana, I'd say Harrison County to any county just east of Evansville IN, you'd be pretty well off in terms of parts cars and projects, as long as you stay out of towns and small citys, which vary wildly in tolerance levels.

3E38
      4E2
      4E28
      5E13
      7E7
      8E7
      8E12
      8E28
      4E2
      59 Lark
      etc

Comment

In Michigan, the Secretary of State handles license registrations. It's based on the weight of the car for vehicles prior to 1990 or so. Cars built afterward are base on value (NADA). The first set of plates on my Ranger in 2002 was $102.00. The state allows YOM and antique/vintage plates for approximately $35. These are permenent with no need to reregister. But the typical exclusion apply (not an everyday driver, car shows and club function only type of thing).

Property taxes in Michigan are on real estate only. There are no yearly taxes on the vehicle. Of course there are parts of the gas tax that go to the state, but I think that happens in every state.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the state has any kind of 'junker' law. Now areas around Detroit, depending on the city, may have local odinances regarding unlicensed vehicles in the driveway type things, but again, I think that's typical of most suburbs. Outstate I don't thing anyone cars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

In Michigan, the Secretary of State handles license registrations. It's based on the weight of the car for vehicles prior to 1990 or so. Cars built afterward are base on value (NADA). The first set of plates on my Ranger in 2002 was $102.00. The state allows YOM and antique/vintage plates for approximately $35. These are permenent with no need to reregister. But the typical exclusion apply (not an everyday driver, car shows and club function only type of thing).

Property taxes in Michigan are on real estate only. There are no yearly taxes on the vehicle. Of course there are parts of the gas tax that go to the state, but I think that happens in every state.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the state has any kind of 'junker' law. Now areas around Detroit, depending on the city, may have local odinances regarding unlicensed vehicles in the driveway type things, but again, I think that's typical of most suburbs. Outstate I don't thing anyone cars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Ron: Are you thinking of moving here? Welcome, if you are.

What you pay in fees for your various collector cars and trucks will, to some extent, depend on which county you live in. Some counties, like ours (Hendricks; west of Indianapolis), have a local wheel tax that makes plating just about any car more than ten years old about $52 a year. It can be less than $30 without the local wheel tax.

You can't generalize about zoning in Indiana. Some counties are quite rural and tolerant. Others, like Hamilton County on the north side of Indianpolis, can be pretty snooty. Subdivision covenants can wreak havoc as well. You have to choose a specific area and investigate it all by itself...and even that can be tricky.

For example, we live almost right in the middle of "old" Brownsburg on a half-acre lot. But the legal description is still metes and bounds; it's not a platted subdivision. For that reason, I had no trouble getting a permit to build a 24 X 53 Morton Building (9-car storage) in 2001. Had we lived farther OUT, in a platted subdivision more in the "country," I couldn't have built much more than a detached 2-car garage! [:0]

'Sorry those of us here cannot be more specific. You must choose an area and investigate right there! [}] BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Ron: Are you thinking of moving here? Welcome, if you are.

What you pay in fees for your various collector cars and trucks will, to some extent, depend on which county you live in. Some counties, like ours (Hendricks; west of Indianapolis), have a local wheel tax that makes plating just about any car more than ten years old about $52 a year. It can be less than $30 without the local wheel tax.

You can't generalize about zoning in Indiana. Some counties are quite rural and tolerant. Others, like Hamilton County on the north side of Indianpolis, can be pretty snooty. Subdivision covenants can wreak havoc as well. You have to choose a specific area and investigate it all by itself...and even that can be tricky.

For example, we live almost right in the middle of "old" Brownsburg on a half-acre lot. But the legal description is still metes and bounds; it's not a platted subdivision. For that reason, I had no trouble getting a permit to build a 24 X 53 Morton Building (9-car storage) in 2001. Had we lived farther OUT, in a platted subdivision more in the "country," I couldn't have built much more than a detached 2-car garage! [:0]

'Sorry those of us here cannot be more specific. You must choose an area and investigate right there! [}] BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Gotta love Canadian prices - historic plates in Ontario runs me $18 a year ... so no personailzed plate for me until I have the money coming in, (I think they are over $200 for the first year, then go to $74 each year afterwards).

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
                - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

Gotta love Canadian prices - historic plates in Ontario runs me $18 a year ... so no personailzed plate for me until I have the money coming in, (I think they are over $200 for the first year, then go to $74 each year afterwards).

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by FireHawk

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk

- Ontario Canada!
                    Yeah, but that's Canadian! $200 Canadian is like $3.50 in the States! [)][:I]

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by FireHawk

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk

- Ontario Canada!
                      Yeah, but that's Canadian! $200 Canadian is like $3.50 in the States! [)][:I]

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Bob, here I thought you lived in Hollywood Land with the rest of us California Crazies! (LOL)

As to where I am or am not moving, that's still up in the air. I'm looking for a place where it doesn't take the income of a doctor or (ugh) lawyer, to buy a 600 sq.ft. cottage.

The problem is going to be getting there. The Champ is much improved, still there are problems. I don't think 'ol Bess is up to a cross country trip. I could be wrong. She runs so sweetly. Except for, of course, the valve lash. The mechanic and I are going to take care of that next week.

South Bend has some really nice houses advertised in the 15-25k range that would fit the bill nicely. I could almost support that on collecting aluminium cans! It would be nice to have a mortgage that could possibly be paid off in my lifetime.

Lotsa Larks!
                        Ron Smith
                        Ron Smith

Comment

Bob, here I thought you lived in Hollywood Land with the rest of us California Crazies! (LOL)

As to where I am or am not moving, that's still up in the air. I'm looking for a place where it doesn't take the income of a doctor or (ugh) lawyer, to buy a 600 sq.ft. cottage.

The problem is going to be getting there. The Champ is much improved, still there are problems. I don't think 'ol Bess is up to a cross country trip. I could be wrong. She runs so sweetly. Except for, of course, the valve lash. The mechanic and I are going to take care of that next week.

South Bend has some really nice houses advertised in the 15-25k range that would fit the bill nicely. I could almost support that on collecting aluminium cans! It would be nice to have a mortgage that could possibly be paid off in my lifetime.

Lotsa Larks!
                          Ron Smith
                          Ron Smith

Comment

C'mon up here, Ron! You can live near the IoMT- 10 acres with junkyard license, soon-to-be large display/resto/storage building to go with the existing buildings, houses nearby from shack to mansion, near the Interstate- and no earthquakes/mudslides/wildfires! Easy to get titles, and ins. isn't too bad either...

And as a bonus, we were below zero 2 days this week!!

Not perfect, but has all the makings for a serious Studebaker compound [8D]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

C'mon up here, Ron! You can live near the IoMT- 10 acres with junkyard license, soon-to-be large display/resto/storage building to go with the existing buildings, houses nearby from shack to mansion, near the Interstate- and no earthquakes/mudslides/wildfires! Easy to get titles, and ins. isn't too bad either...

And as a bonus, we were below zero 2 days this week!!

Not perfect, but has all the makings for a serious Studebaker compound [8D]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Working...
                              X