Horsepower calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horsepower calculator

Got this off the Henry J web page. see how much HP your Studebaker has, Please post Ted and Richard.
    http://www.henryjcars.com/hpcalc.html

If it wasn't for the last minute i'd never get anything done.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Thanks Richard real impressive.

Comment

Pretty accurate formula.

The 2010 Shelby GT500 can run a 1/4 mile in 12.3 seconds with street tires. The car weighs 3,940 lbs and the formula indicates a HP of 418.47 at the rear wheels and 544 at the fly wheel. The Shelby is rated at 540 HP at the crank.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/07/f...re-do-we-sign/

Steve

Comment

Hi Guys
          I did the same calculation as Richard and in the case of my R2 Avanti at the PSMCDR in Sept. my Avanti weighed in at 3810lbs and ran the 1/4 mile in 14.324 seconds. This calculates to 256.22 HP and 333.09 at the flywheel.

Now I know why Richard and I always run so close to each other.

Peter Sant

Comment

For the Tomato I used 3550 pounds (weight at Stanton) with the best ET of 12.62 and came up with 349.09 and 453.82 (353.24)

For the Chicken Hawk-3600 pound with the best ET of 10.07 and got 696.79 and 905.83 (705.08)

This can never be proven but I really think with the improvements made with the larger fuel lines, the sump on the back of the stock tank and the larger injection pump the Chicken Hawk would have gone at least a 9.6 ET. Unfortunately, I never got to run the quarter after doing that but it was MUCH stronger in the eighth than it was before even with a 30 mph side wind and only 16 psi instead of 20. Using the 9.6 it came up with 804.22 and 1045.49. (813.80)

The figures in parentheses are the rear wheel hp figures using the formula that is easy to remember: Take the weight of the car (with driver) and multiply it by 200 and divide the ET three times. You can see it comes out real close, just a few hp more.

Also here are the results for Chuck Kern's R 2 Avanti: Weight of 3570 and ET of 13.814 = 267 and 347.97.

Ted

Comment

Thanks guys real impressive, for such small Cubic inches and the extra heavy engine over the front of the car.

Comment

Working...
              X