53-54 Studebaker interiors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53-54 Studebaker interiors

Working on a 53 Champion C body coupe and was wondering if anyone has any pictures of the original interior parts that went with the striped seat covering, such as door panels, windlace, headliner and back seat. We have the seats, which are in real bad shape, but we can't make out the colors of the door panels because they are just badly weathered. Thanks!

The book "Studebaker's Finest" by John Bridges is an invaluable source of information like this.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Comment

Any idea who has this book? Just checked studebaker international, the museum, some libraries, ebay and none of them have it. Amazon has them at $125!

Comment

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

You mention you have a C body? What sort of striped seats does it have? My copy of the Bridges' book shows a C3 had a "medium taupe" "pile and cord" where a C5 had "hickory beige stripped woolen broadcloth". The book shows B&W pics of the hickory beige but not the taupe. I don't think I have seen a original example of either. Both C3 and C5 had red or tan Vinyl seats optional. Many restorations change to those since matching the cloth is about impossible.

I HAVE seen the striped cloth used on the K5 hardtop (my car had it too). Completely different from what the C's had. Its about impossible to match too most likely. Only used in the K body hardtops. Here is a picture of a car that was at Cedar Rapids with that cloth. Looks like a prison stripe or referee shirt IMO.

The stuff is very fragile and tears/rots easily.

'53s didn't have a lot of color choices on the interiors. Most door panels were grey/black.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Phantom Auto Works advertises reproduction cloth for 1953 Deluxe & Regal interiors and 1954 Regal interiors. www.phantomstudebakers.com

Brent's rootbeer racer.
              MN iron ore...it does your body good.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Its a C3. We were going to use the optional vinyl, but I found the phantom studebakers site listed here a couple months ago and they have reproduction material. I'll agree it rots very badly as we have the original seats, but the school wants to put in the original material. The door panel is the tricky part as it looks gray with taupe within the texture. The top part was brownish yellowish, so not sure what it was.

Comment

Thanks for the part number btw. Found the book. Probably couldn't at first because they don't list the title or author for easy searching.

Comment

Herby - I am working on a 53 champion hardtop. My interior needs a total redo also. I do have pictures of the inside door panels. They are a gray and black on bottom part. What is the color of your car? Judy

Comment

There was one for sale at Cedar Rapids, not sure if it was a 53 or 54.
                      I think it was unrestored.

John V.

Comment

John V, that maroon K is a '53, dash is definitive.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                        Tom Bredehoft
                        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                        ....On the road, again....
                        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                        All Indiana built cars

Comment

I saw that red car at Cedar Rapids as well. Its a '53 commander and those are the original "airway grey" cloth seats that were standard on ALL '53 Commander or Champion hardtops (K5). That commander has had some old hot rod stuff done to it like the steering wheel and that floor shift but the rest is mostly stock and original. Of note, is the "hocky stick" trim on the side of the seat is missing. It would be covered with the same cloth as the seats. The passenger side door panel visible is all black which is not correct. Could be its been dyed or its a replacement of some sort, since the chrome trim is not visible. The door panels are grey and black with a swoop moulding separating the colors. Headliner is grey vinyl. Cars with the vinyl seat options have some different colors. There is a table in the Bridges book that shows all the combinations.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

John V, that maroon K is a '53, dash is definitive.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                            Tom Bredehoft
                            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                            ....On the road, again....
                            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                            All Indiana built cars
                            As is the trunk handle.

Chip
                            '63 Cruiser daily driver
                            '57 Packard wagon on the road!
                            Chip
                            '63 Cruiser
                            '57 Packard wagon
                            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I have a 54 Champion K hardtop and it's all grey vinyl, havent tried to take it off to see whats under it.

If it wasn't for the last minute i'd never get anything done.
                              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X