60 Lark nose on a 63

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Lark nose on a 63

My uncle is about to start building a little hot rod '63 Standard. He wants a '59-60 nose with a Champ grille. We think the '60 header panel will fit with the '63 fenders. But what do we do about a hood? Put '63 hood hinge setup on a '60 hood, or what?

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Biggs' H2O-Induction

Check the curvature of the cowl vs the hood rear edge before you cut up a hood to fit, I think the non-cowl induction fresh air system requires a different shape hood, it may take 2 hoods to do it.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

...or heck, just detail the engine bay nicely and go hoodless! There is a very nice '53 Chev around here with which that's been done; not my cup of tea but it's a very striking ride, and with its beautiful gloss pale blue and white two-tone paint it's no rat rod either...

S.

Comment

What about just cutting apart the grille body panels and graft the 60 grille section onto the 63 shell

Tom
        sigpic

Comment

Matthew,like StudeRich said it might take two hoods? take a peice of mechanics wire and shape it to the back edge of one hood,and see if it matches the other hood.years ago I saw a Champ with a 66 Lark nose on it,do'nt remember how the hood fit the cowl,or if it was made to fit? then the other thing is you'll have to shorten the bottom of the fenders!

Joseph R. Zeiger
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks all for the ideas.

This is a low-budget car and most of the money will be likely spent on the drive-line. Grafting sheetmetal together is pretty much out of the question. He might end up going hoodless. [)]

Just for the sake of asking.. Will a Champ grille fit in a '61 header panel? I know for a fact that a '61 header panel will fit '63 fenders, and everything will work with a '61 hood.

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Biggs' H2O-Induction

Comment

Matthew,the 61 panel will need work to get a Champ grill against it.

Joseph R. Zeiger
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

BUT should need NO work to use the stock '63 hood.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab
                  .....years ago I saw a Champ with a 66 Lark nose on it,do'nt remember how the hood fit the cowl,or if it was made to fit? then the other thing is you'll have to shorten the bottom of the fenders!

Joseph R. Zeiger
                  Several of these '64-'66 'Lark type' Champ pick-ups have been constructed by private owners, all seem to have employed a cut down '64-'66 4 dr. body tub (and hence, cowl) thus there was no problems with fitting the hood.
                  Of course one could also do the same conversion employing a '61-'63 tub and front clip.

Comment

I put a 61 front end on my 62 as well as the hood only change I made was I installed the inner tortion bar support from my 62. I looked at the 59 and figured you would need to also change the hinge mount not a big deal but I like the 61 hood better, I have not tryed a champ grill though.

fred

Comment

I had forgotten it, but StudebakerGeorge has the remains of a '63 with a '59 nose. He'll be getting back with me soon enough, and I'll post an update then as to just what will work.

Comment

any pics of these things? How do they look? I got a 60 Lark parts car with decent nose, and the wrecked 63 Cruiser that I want back on the road!!

www.datinmanjay.com

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/Da_Tinman/
                        http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

no I fit the nose and hood then pulled for paint and body work becides I have had no luck with posting pics.

fred

Comment

Working...
                          X