Starter selenoid 51 champion options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter selenoid 51 champion options

I guess the selenoid for the starter is no longer available. Mine is on the starter. I guess I could order one that fastens to the firewall. Do you think NAPA would have a generic one I could use if I took my old one in to compare? Or do I just need to use the firewall one?

1951 Studebaker Champion 2dr
    1987 Buick Grand National

Napa probably does, but Chuck Collins sells a cowl mounted solenoid for your car, too:

http://tinyurl.com/yehhnrv

Comment

The one (assuming it's original) on the starter requires a ground be supplied to the little terminal to actuate the solenoid. Stude got away from using a grounding start signal during the '55 year. IF you're using the original start circuit, installing a later solenoid is gonna be disappointing in that as you engage the start switch - nothing's gonna happen.
      This CAN be remedied pretty easy, but we need to know IF the car's all original and whether or not you're using 6 or 12 volts now.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Right now it's original and staying 6 volt. Down the road I might make the swap if I go with a gasser look and v-8. Now my goal is to getting it running and drive-able. Might need to do the cowl mounted one.

1951 Studebaker Champion 2dr
        1987 Buick Grand National

Comment

Mike, I'm sure I have a good used one here. Gimmee a day to see if I can find one.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X