inherited 56J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inherited 56J

I recenly inherited a 56 Studebaker Golden Hawk and i am unsure what the value is. It not in the best of shape and I am trying to decide weather to sell it or restore.

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place. A 56J is certainly a highly desirable car. Post some pictures and you will get some sound advice.

Don Wilson
    53 Commander Hardtop
    64 Champ 1/2 ton
    Centralia, WA
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Well it's worth something, the more pictures the better chance of someone wanting it, if it's great shape you hit a gold mine.

If it wasn't for the last minute i'd never get anything done.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Welcome. The '56 Golden Hawk is one of the most valuable of all the post-war Studebakers. Post some photos with a complete description and you'll probably get some offers from here.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

I would think a really pristine and CORRECTLY restored example would be worth something in the $25 to $35K range - maybe less at this time. The market is depressed at the moment, but should recover some as the economy does.
          The primary thing you have to consider is HOW MUCH of the work can you - are you - willing to do yourself. If you're going to write checks to have the various facets of the resto done, it's gonna be expensive. SO expensive that it'll probably cost more than you could get in return if you sell it.
          Unless you're WILLING and ABLE to do most of the resto, your best shot at getting good return on it is to clean it up and sell it as is. We could help you judge what might be a fair figure for it, but we'd have to see lots of photos of the good and the bad of it to make an honest appraisal.

Welcome to the group! Provide some photos if you can.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bryan, welcome to the forum. If you are not a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club, let me encourage you to join. Being in the greater St. Louis area...I suspect there may be a very active chapter of the club in your part of the country. If so, try to contact some members and discuss your car with them. Make sure to get a number of opinions just to lessen the chance that some opportunist would try to take advantage of you for his own benefit. (Not that any club member would stoop to such dastardly behavior) Your car is one of the most desirable cars in the automotive world and not just in the Studebaker circles. Although the condition might look daunting...think of it as a pie...it is not too much as long as you take your time and take only a bite at a time. Good luck with the car and I wish you the best.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

You need to get in touch with Frank Ambrogio in Florida. He knows about all there is to know about 56 Hawks,and keeps a roster of all that he can find. His phone# is 352 735 9193. I'm sure he would like to hear from you. NT

Neil Thornton
              Hazlehurst, GA
              '57 Silver Hawk
              '56 Sky Hawk
              '51 2R16 dump truck
              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

There is a local chapter, Mo-Ill Gateway Chapter, in St. Louis. We have several members with 56 Golden Hawks which should be able to help you with values etc. Send me an email if interested and I will give you a couple names and numbers. We would be glad to have you join our chapter.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk
                1964 Convertable
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1950 Commander Starlight

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Milt, Bryan can't E-mail you until he has posted 10 times as this is the forum's way of avoiding spammers.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                  MN iron ore...it does your body good.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The biggest difference in a 56 GH compared to other Studebakers is that they used the great big huge Packard 352 motor that year, and ONLY that year. And only in the GH. Driving is believing. That's no 289 in there.

Comment

Speaking of Frank, and driving '56 Golden Hawks... I love this video Frank posted. He has several others. Check 'em out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_h2HiquxWs

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Biggs' H2O-Induction

Comment

There are a lot of "special instructions" with the Packard engine mostly related to the oiling system. You *NEED* (I cannot stress this enough) to check out http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/ and check out all the info there as well as join the mailing list (and of course, keep hanging out here as well.)

Is your car an Ultraumatic, I mean, Ultramatic or 3-speed stick? The latter in my mind is preferable, although while the Ultra has its own quirks I actually like it as a nice driving automatic trans when it's working right. The lockup TC makes it feel more stickshift-like than later autos (a feature that it shares with the DG series autos used in pre-56 Studebaker cars, and no other early generation slushboxes to my knowledge)

What does "not in the best of shape" mean? Is it running and driving? Nothing wrong with driving and enjoying a less than "pistine" car if it makes you happy. Probably the best thing you could do to it IMHO is to rebuild the suspension and add good shocks and possibly HD springs if your car does not have that option and a rear sway bar from a President sedan or GT Hawk - but that's based on my own preferences. Brakes are fairly good stock but if you're an "enthusiastic" driver you'd be well served to look into a disc brake conversion.

If it's been sitting any length of time, in addition to all the 56J specific information, check out this page as well:

http://studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_things2do.asp

as well as all the other tech articles on the SDC site, which may or may not have as immediate relevance to you.

Anyway, a 56J is a great car, and don't listen to the "shove a Chevy in it" crowd; Studes are unique enough as is and a Packard V-8 is that much *more* unique...

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

It was stored outside under a tarp for about 15 years. I Havent hear it run for at least 10 years. I headded over to my parents house yesterday after work to snap a few photos but it was too dark for anyone them to turn out. but it looks like the body is covered in surface rust. the interior was new 20 years ago but looks like it needs to be replaced again. I couldn't remember where the latch to release the hood was and I was in my business clothes so I didn't go poking around too much. This saturday I try and snap some photos and post them.

Comment

Okay, but hurry every chance ya get..

Comment

TWENTY YEARS - under a tarp - in Illinois? [xx(] Even if it will still crank - it had better have GOBS of sentimental value. [B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1963 Cruiser
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X