Mobile Work Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Work Station

Today, I decided to take one of my utility trailers and use it for a work platform on the C-Cab I have removed from its frame. I did not like the cement block stacks I had created to facilitate raising the cab high enough to clear the frame. The way the wind crashes through my hill ... the four pillars of blocks were just not trustworthy in this open sided barn. I had to remove the fenders and tailgate, and it was just dumb luck that I had the blocks spaced just wide enough to clear the lights with only minor scraping.
    [img][/img]

I should be able to move the cab out into the open and to other areas of my yard depending on the needs of particular tasks.

[img][/img]

I have an Idea to use the rear cab mount to fabricate a hinge mount so that I can tilt it back in order to work on replacing the rusty floor without having to crawl under it to work. I hate welding while lying on my back.

[img][/img]

Work will have to stop for a day or two. I have a customer who needs a new toilet installed tomorrow...and a bunch of Honey-Do stuff.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Always cool to watch a resto progress[^] Thanks for sharing!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Looks good John. What also works well is a hayrack running gear. With just the running gear, you put two wood beams lengthways on it and put the cab on the beams. This worked well for my T-cab and I could even pull it around easily by hand. However I didnt have a vise conveniately mounted to it.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
      MN iron ore...it does your body good.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The vice is mounted in a tube hitch. I have a receiver tube welded on the trailer. I sometimes take it with me on plumbing jobs and slide it into the hitch on the back of my truck when needed. Otherwise, just pull the pin and its out of the way.In addition to the vice, I have an electric winch mounted on a hitch tube when I need to pull something on using more than the manual crank winch mounted on the tongue.

In addition to mounting the cab on the trailer...I also once again tried to free the engine. It has been soaking with the cylinders full of marvel mystery oil. This time, before attempting to torque the engine over, I took my old "Reddy Heater" and warmed it up for an hour or so. Still no luck. If you'd like to see more pictures of my stumbling and bumbling about with this old relic, click the link below. You should be able to view a "slide show" or click individual pictures. I think it is better than overloading the forum with pictures that many are not interested in.

http://s518.photobucket.com/albums/u...view=slideshow
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Very good JC. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Strap it down on there.....
            An untied Stude cab can take on a life of it's own[:0]
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_kRxaB8_IU
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That's funny Jeff. Love the comments towards the end..

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Biggs' H2O-Induction

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Strap it down on there.....
                An untied Stude cab can take on a life of it's own[:0]
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_kRxaB8_IU

[|)] ahhhh..........ok...........ahhhhhhh...........I get it. [)]
                But a distant second....clip....when compared to "Studebaker Pie" [B)]

ChopStu

134 weeks till completion.
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

And the pie thing was a series[|)]
                  (that the bar was lowered each episode)[xx(]
                  But.... If you have to explain it......

quote:
                  [|)] ahhhh..........ok...........ahhhhhhh...........I get it. [)]
                  But a distant second....clip....when compared to "Studebaker Pie" [B)]
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The Cab might just be more stable now than anytime since we dislodged it from the dirt and leaves to have it teeter tottering on my trailer for the trip back to SC. A couple of the body mount bolts were pretty badly eroded, and there are only four main bolts holding it on in the first place. I will go out and dog it down on the trailer pretty soon. It is raining hard here today (what we southerners call a "Frawg Strangler") and they are calling for wind gusts over 35mph.

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                    SDC member since 1975
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                    X