Trial run with the '56 Parkview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial run with the '56 Parkview

Well, I took the Parkview out for it's trial run. It overheated, the brakes were weird pulling from left to right (Not unexpected, I rather expected to have to adust them), and the carb was rather inconsistant. It would stall in idle and refuse to restart without the choke fully on. This whilst showing that it was overheating? Not only that, the cap didn't release any coolant, that is to say, it didn't boil over with the gauge showing very hot. There was a good deal of smoke and steam, though not enough to be more than a mild concern. Not like there were clouds of it anyway, and not noticeable till I stopped. I did spill some oil whilst working on it, and there was a leak in the oil filter canister that just got fixed yesterday. Not to mention twenty-five years of debris.[:I]

Other than that, the experiment went swimmingly. The car ran largely smoothly and was a delight to drive. It climbed the hill without any more labour than the understandable, due to the overheating condition. The OD is definitely engaged, and I need to get the cable working. Yet, with the lever in the engaged position it will go into reverse[?] Go figure.

I've started another thread in the Technical section for suggestions (and boy do I need 'em).[:I][8)]

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Your story reminds me of the first time I drove my '54 Champion after I did just enough work to it to get it to move under its own power after a 30 year barn storage. I didn't go more than 25 mph because it still had the 30 + year old bias ply tires on it. The radiator and water pump were leaking, and there were numerous other shortcomings that needed fixed. No state inspection, so I snuck it out at night. Still, that first drive after a long hiatus is a thrill unlike any other! Congratulations for saving another Studebaker!

Comment

Your story reminds me of the first time I drove my '54 Champion after I did just enough work to it to get it to move under its own power after a 30 year barn storage. I didn't go more than 25 mph because it still had the 30 + year old bias ply tires on it. The radiator and water pump were leaking, and there were numerous other shortcomings that needed fixed. No state inspection, so I snuck it out at night. Still, that first drive after a long hiatus is a thrill unlike any other! Congratulations for saving another Studebaker!

Comment

Working...
      X