60 Convertaible Engine Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Convertaible Engine Advice

I picked up a real decent 60 Lark Convertible last spring that needs an engine in addition to the usual maintence items (brakes, u-joints, seals, etc.). The car is originally from California so it is near perfect by Minnesota standards and it also has every reciept from day one. The problem is that the previous owner had an engine fire and when the fire department put it out it filled the engine with water. They saved the car, but the engine is stuck. So currently I have four options for the engine.

1. Use a 55 259 short block that I have that has been rebuilt and should be ready to go. The down side is that I'd like to keep this engine with the car so I'm not mixing too many numbers up.

2. Rebuild the cloverleaf service block that is in the Lark using the crank and pistons out of the 55 block since the 55 will be getting a 289 in the future.

3. Use a spare full flow 289 that I have that would need rings, bearings, and gaskets at the least.

4. Use the running full flow 259 that is in my 63 Lark that would probably need rings, bearings, and gaskets. Since it is in a manual car I'd have to pull the pan and rear main to change the flex plate bolts so I might as well change the mains and rod bearings at the same time. This engine I could also compression test since it is running.

The other problem that I'm running into is the heads. How far do I go? Since there are off two of the engines and will probably be off the other two should I put new valves and seats? If I get new valves should I get stainless? If I'm going with new stainless valves should I use the R3 intakes in case I want to warm up the engine in the future? I plan on using a R1 camshaft and I also have some slightly used R1 valve springs that I changed out on another car in favor of the R1/2+ springs.

How far should I take this?

Nick

I took a 6 cylinder from a '63 manual trans Lark and put it into a '63 Lark with auto and didnt have to remove the oil pan. The only thing special I had to do was ream out the pilot bearing to make things go together. As for the existing engine in the 1960 Lark, why would you need a crank from another engine? If the engine is stuck, the crank is probably fine. If you would like to purchase another V8 for rebuilding, you may want to contact Ed Bauer of Waite Park as he has a few 289's. He also has some miscellaneous parts from a 1959-60 Lark 4 door if needed.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Just buy this 289, my original engine will be back from the shop soon. [^] Good luck on your project.
      [img][/img]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 61Lark

The problem is that the previous owner had an engine fire and when the fire department put it out it filled the engine with water. They saved the car, but the engine is stuck.
        How bout pulling the engine and having a machine shop tear it down. If your bore out the cylinders and go with next size up pistons and rings you may save the original engine.

Once the machine shop tears it apart then you and they would have a better opinion if the engine can be rebuild or if its FUBAR.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (under restoration)</div id="left">
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

As for the existing engine in the 1960 Lark, why would you need a crank from another engine? If the engine is stuck, the crank is probably fine. If you would like to purchase another V8 for rebuilding, you may want to contact Ed Bauer of Waite Park as he has a few 289's. He also has some miscellaneous parts from a 1959-60 Lark 4 door if needed.
          I figured I would pull the whole rotating assembly out of the other engine that way everything is new. If I didn't use the 259 crank it would probably sit on the shelf to rust. I've alread have 5 or 6 V8s laying around so coming up with an extra engine isn't a problem.

Comment

[/quote]
            Once the machine shop tears it apart then you and they would have a better opinion if the engine can be rebuild or if its FUBAR.
            [/quote]

The engine is already stripped down to the short block and probably can be rebuilt, but I'm wondering if I should go to the effort and expense to rebuild an engine that isn't original to the car when I have others that could be used to get the car on the road fast and at less cost. I think I just answered my own question.

Nick

Comment

Exactly. What are your future plans, though? Going as stock as possible to eventually show at a SDC meet, or your own happiness? I don't know how picky some judges are, but I doubt checking your engine number to see if it's an originally built 1960 is going to happen, so you might as well make it anything you want either way.
              I faced a similar what to do situation this Fall except I had my original engine as a choice. The current 289 needing new bearings forced my hand. I went the 289 crank, R1 cam and R1 pistons route for the inside of my original 259. Sounds like you already have your answer, 61Lark. Keep us updated. [^]

Comment

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

After the kick in the pants I got this summer having my two cars judged I am done with that.

This car I just want to drive so I'm going to ring and bearing the 289 then install a R1 cam, valve springs, and timing gear. I've got everything to install the R3 valves, but I'll probably save them for the next engine. An added benefit of the 289 is that it is a full flow engine.

Thanks for the help,
                Nick

Comment

Good choice, Nick. Wish I had a full flow. That's a real beauty. Great shape and well optioned. [^] Brings back fond memories.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X