Turlock Swap Meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

My Turlock adventure.... I got to Turlock just as the gates opened. It was great timing as by the time I parked (parking was $10 bucks!), peed (all that coffee enroute!) and got to the entrance gate (another $5 bucks entry fee), the line was short and I didn't have to stand still at all.
    I'll say up front, that my "hunting" bore more fruit than that of the other Stude types I met there. I saw more Stude stuff there than I ever have! I even passed up a few parts deals that I'm gonna lament for some time to come. I did so because of the logistics of getting the stuff back to my truck and because of having limited time to peruse the offerings of the many vendors. All I had to tote stuff in was a canvas Office Depot book bag and in the end I didn't even fill it like I could have. I only bought TWO pieces of Stude trim that I thought were too good to pass up. Between those and a couple of BrandX items for resale, Oh! and a few vintage car magazines, I didn't come away with much. But I really DID see alot of Stude parts there - Sheet metal and trim. No engines, transes, rears - ANYTHING to speak of mechanical save for carb kits, the odd 6 cylinder water pump and switch sprinkled here and there.
    There was NO one selling Stude stuff exclusively. I've never seen that at Turlock anyway. There was one group of guys peddling Hudson stuff and there was a guy that had a beautiful Javelin and lots of used AMC things, but no one had even close to a majority of Stude parts in their offerings. So if you wanted Stude stuff, you had to do lots of scanning and digging. But IT WAS there to be found!
    I walked away from a $20-dollar C-K decklid at the first vendor I encoutered! It was bent on one corner but it was really solid. I SHOULD have bought that one! Too, I left behind a beautiful set of C-cab doors that were solid, primed and ready to bolt on. The seller wanted $150 for the pair! He told me he had other C-cab stuff at home too! I don't KNOW if he'd ship stuff but I do have his contact info. He told me his dad has a Lark 4-dr that they'd like to sell too.
    Another vendor had some C-body doors (55 Coupe), GT Hawk doors and bullet-nose Starlight coupe metal for sale. He also had two big show boards with photos of cars that are available. There were 12 or 15 Studes showm as well as Stude front clips he's got at his "ranch".
    There was a photo of a 66 2-dr V8 3spdOD car that looked right straight. He'd never tried to make it run and would take $600 for it. Also amongst his offerings was a Stude 6X6 WWII truck with low miles on it and a dump bed. He told me the Hercules JXD runs sweet and pulls nice but the trucks been in a state of non-use for 20 years or so and needs it's brakes fixed to be roadworthy.
    Wearing a Studebaker T-shirt generated LOTS of Stude talk and leads for Studes and Stude parts! I got a lead on an all-original 57 Golden Hawk that's supposed to be pretty nice save for a bad blower. $8K may not sound like a "steal", but look at what decent G-Hawks are commanding nowdays![:0]
    Another fella that I've known for some years was there vending. I haven't seen this guy for 5 or 6 months and the first thing he says to me is: "Are you interested in a warehouse full of Stude parts?"
    What a loaded question! I'm gonna check out his lead this week! It's fairly close to me.
    Anyway, I wanted to crash the Pizza Hut gathering this year as I'd missed it several times in the past, so by 3:30 I was on my way to the Transtar and just after 4 I was exchanging greetings with members of the Sequoia Chapter. Even got to have a few words with Fred and Linda Fox.
    I shared pizza and conversation with Bob Peterson, Steve Hinshaw, the Speedster Kid, Karl sparks and other Stude notables. Of course, I'd had lunch with Dick, Fred, Tom and spent some time chatting with John Sweeney at his vendor's spot.
    For the most part, the weather was decent. In fact, it was
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

My Turlock adventure.... I got to Turlock just as the gates opened. It was great timing as by the time I parked (parking was $10 bucks!), peed (all that coffee enroute!) and got to the entrance gate (another $5 bucks entry fee), the line was short and I didn't have to stand still at all.
      I'll say up front, that my "hunting" bore more fruit than that of the other Stude types I met there. I saw more Stude stuff there than I ever have! I even passed up a few parts deals that I'm gonna lament for some time to come. I did so because of the logistics of getting the stuff back to my truck and because of having limited time to peruse the offerings of the many vendors. All I had to tote stuff in was a canvas Office Depot book bag and in the end I didn't even fill it like I could have. I only bought TWO pieces of Stude trim that I thought were too good to pass up. Between those and a couple of BrandX items for resale, Oh! and a few vintage car magazines, I didn't come away with much. But I really DID see alot of Stude parts there - Sheet metal and trim. No engines, transes, rears - ANYTHING to speak of mechanical save for carb kits, the odd 6 cylinder water pump and switch sprinkled here and there.
      There was NO one selling Stude stuff exclusively. I've never seen that at Turlock anyway. There was one group of guys peddling Hudson stuff and there was a guy that had a beautiful Javelin and lots of used AMC things, but no one had even close to a majority of Stude parts in their offerings. So if you wanted Stude stuff, you had to do lots of scanning and digging. But IT WAS there to be found!
      I walked away from a $20-dollar C-K decklid at the first vendor I encoutered! It was bent on one corner but it was really solid. I SHOULD have bought that one! Too, I left behind a beautiful set of C-cab doors that were solid, primed and ready to bolt on. The seller wanted $150 for the pair! He told me he had other C-cab stuff at home too! I don't KNOW if he'd ship stuff but I do have his contact info. He told me his dad has a Lark 4-dr that they'd like to sell too.
      Another vendor had some C-body doors (55 Coupe), GT Hawk doors and bullet-nose Starlight coupe metal for sale. He also had two big show boards with photos of cars that are available. There were 12 or 15 Studes showm as well as Stude front clips he's got at his "ranch".
      There was a photo of a 66 2-dr V8 3spdOD car that looked right straight. He'd never tried to make it run and would take $600 for it. Also amongst his offerings was a Stude 6X6 WWII truck with low miles on it and a dump bed. He told me the Hercules JXD runs sweet and pulls nice but the trucks been in a state of non-use for 20 years or so and needs it's brakes fixed to be roadworthy.
      Wearing a Studebaker T-shirt generated LOTS of Stude talk and leads for Studes and Stude parts! I got a lead on an all-original 57 Golden Hawk that's supposed to be pretty nice save for a bad blower. $8K may not sound like a "steal", but look at what decent G-Hawks are commanding nowdays![:0]
      Another fella that I've known for some years was there vending. I haven't seen this guy for 5 or 6 months and the first thing he says to me is: "Are you interested in a warehouse full of Stude parts?"
      What a loaded question! I'm gonna check out his lead this week! It's fairly close to me.
      Anyway, I wanted to crash the Pizza Hut gathering this year as I'd missed it several times in the past, so by 3:30 I was on my way to the Transtar and just after 4 I was exchanging greetings with members of the Sequoia Chapter. Even got to have a few words with Fred and Linda Fox.
      I shared pizza and conversation with Bob Peterson, Steve Hinshaw, the Speedster Kid, Karl sparks and other Stude notables. Of course, I'd had lunch with Dick, Fred, Tom and spent some time chatting with John Sweeney at his vendor's spot.
      For the most part, the weather was decent. In fact, it was
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

So sorry I missed it, haven't been in about 10 years, but I decided to go this year. It was raining late Friday night in L.A. so I figured it would be pouring in Turlock. Stayed in bed instead.
        Should have gone!

Comment

So sorry I missed it, haven't been in about 10 years, but I decided to go this year. It was raining late Friday night in L.A. so I figured it would be pouring in Turlock. Stayed in bed instead.
          Should have gone!

Comment

Yeah, the forecast had been for "some clouds" on Saturday and it WAS clear here in Visalia, when I left. By halfway, I could see that it was overcast (still dark at that time of morning). As I got close to Turlock, there was a heavy mist coating the windshield. It wasn't enough to dampen my enthusiasim tho.
            At one point it sprinkled lightly and vendors started to scurry to cover things up. But after just a few minutes it stopped. Of course, I don't know what it was like there today. It was raining lightly here in Visalia this AM. But it stopped by 9.

I will add to my tale that the ol' Transtar was REALLY billowing THICK clouds of white vapor-smoke as I drove around, following Bob back to the meet grounds! When I would accelerate away from a stoplight, the car behind me would be LOST in the fog that I left behind. The only way you could tell there was a car behind me was that said cloud was set aglow by their headlights. After a second or two, a distinct pair of headlites would emerge from the cloud!!![:0][xx(] Smoke screens laid dowm by WWII destroyers didn't have nuthin' on the Transtar's efforts! It was an embarrassing moment for a Studebaker.
            I'll also say - I put this engine together after taking it apart for a shade tree rebuild effort (Literally shade tree - as in Black Walnut in the back yard![:I]) It was the summer of '96 and all I really did to it was install new rings after a good honing. That and I checked and de-varnished the valves, installed new seals on them and hand-lapped them as I reassembled them. A sorta crude rebuild, but it's lasted 11 years and I don't know HOW MANY thousands of miles since then![^] For the cost of a gasket set and a set of cast iron rings, I think I've gotten my money's worth.
            It's always been a sweet-running 289 (Scavenged from a wrecked 64 Cruiser in 1989) and it was running sweetly as I did 75 all the way to Turlock - with the usual 30lbs oil pressure hot, at that speed![:0]) That engine's been lugging this Transtar around since '89 with nothing more than the aforementioned rings and a valve job in 1989. And ALL THIS - towing MANY other Studebakers on HEAVY trailers - sometimes over mountains! - with NO hardened valve seats or other pamperings. I never, in 18 years, have seen 40lbs hot oil pressure from this engine.[:I] Remember this when some "expert" acts alarmed that you're not getting 40 or 50 lbs of oil pressure while hot and at speed. Remember 18 years of leadfoot, cross-country driving without a hint of trouble. Ask the "experts" to explain that little anomaly.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah, the forecast had been for "some clouds" on Saturday and it WAS clear here in Visalia, when I left. By halfway, I could see that it was overcast (still dark at that time of morning). As I got close to Turlock, there was a heavy mist coating the windshield. It wasn't enough to dampen my enthusiasim tho.
              At one point it sprinkled lightly and vendors started to scurry to cover things up. But after just a few minutes it stopped. Of course, I don't know what it was like there today. It was raining lightly here in Visalia this AM. But it stopped by 9.

I will add to my tale that the ol' Transtar was REALLY billowing THICK clouds of white vapor-smoke as I drove around, following Bob back to the meet grounds! When I would accelerate away from a stoplight, the car behind me would be LOST in the fog that I left behind. The only way you could tell there was a car behind me was that said cloud was set aglow by their headlights. After a second or two, a distinct pair of headlites would emerge from the cloud!!![:0][xx(] Smoke screens laid dowm by WWII destroyers didn't have nuthin' on the Transtar's efforts! It was an embarrassing moment for a Studebaker.
              I'll also say - I put this engine together after taking it apart for a shade tree rebuild effort (Literally shade tree - as in Black Walnut in the back yard![:I]) It was the summer of '96 and all I really did to it was install new rings after a good honing. That and I checked and de-varnished the valves, installed new seals on them and hand-lapped them as I reassembled them. A sorta crude rebuild, but it's lasted 11 years and I don't know HOW MANY thousands of miles since then![^] For the cost of a gasket set and a set of cast iron rings, I think I've gotten my money's worth.
              It's always been a sweet-running 289 (Scavenged from a wrecked 64 Cruiser in 1989) and it was running sweetly as I did 75 all the way to Turlock - with the usual 30lbs oil pressure hot, at that speed![:0]) That engine's been lugging this Transtar around since '89 with nothing more than the aforementioned rings and a valve job in 1989. And ALL THIS - towing MANY other Studebakers on HEAVY trailers - sometimes over mountains! - with NO hardened valve seats or other pamperings. I never, in 18 years, have seen 40lbs hot oil pressure from this engine.[:I] Remember this when some "expert" acts alarmed that you're not getting 40 or 50 lbs of oil pressure while hot and at speed. Remember 18 years of leadfoot, cross-country driving without a hint of trouble. Ask the "experts" to explain that little anomaly.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[8D] Geeze, Bob; you mentioned packing your "CE player" for the trip. Is that a closed-loop video of Studebaker Coupes-Express trucks you watch on the road??? [:0] <GG>

'Sounds like a great meet; most of us easterners would sure like to go a time or two, I'll bet. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[8D] Geeze, Bob; you mentioned packing your "CE player" for the trip. Is that a closed-loop video of Studebaker Coupes-Express trucks you watch on the road??? [:0] <GG>

'Sounds like a great meet; most of us easterners would sure like to go a time or two, I'll bet. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm about 100% certain it's a head gasket, Gary. But as you suspect, I'd rather sling this rebuilt engine in since I was planning on doing that anyway. Fact is, depending on how fast the swap goes, I may well take this opportunity to install the rebuilt rear I've had ready to go in for some time. It's a 3.73, which should afford better mileage in the long run.

PS: Bob, your assumption is correct. I have a DVD player that's deadicated to showing a video of a yellow CE in action.[8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I'm about 100% certain it's a head gasket, Gary. But as you suspect, I'd rather sling this rebuilt engine in since I was planning on doing that anyway. Fact is, depending on how fast the swap goes, I may well take this opportunity to install the rebuilt rear I've had ready to go in for some time. It's a 3.73, which should afford better mileage in the long run.

PS: Bob, your assumption is correct. I have a DVD player that's deadicated to showing a video of a yellow CE in action.[8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Bob - Have you analyzed what is wrong with the engine in your Transtar? Maybe you just blew a head gasket between water and combustion (more than likely you would have been blowing coolant out with that scenario). Of course, you may be just looking for an excuse to plug in another engine that you have ready rather than fix the one in the truck while it is still in the truck.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob - Have you analyzed what is wrong with the engine in your Transtar? Maybe you just blew a head gasket between water and combustion (more than likely you would have been blowing coolant out with that scenario). Of course, you may be just looking for an excuse to plug in another engine that you have ready rather than fix the one in the truck while it is still in the truck.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                          X