'61 Champ Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '61 Champ Questions

I have a '61 champ wellside i'm getting back on the road in a couple months. I was have a few questions for everyone.

1st: were can i get a starter as mine is a 50's one and the ring gear doesn't mesh ( its a 3 on the tree mating to a 170 straight 6).

2nd: i have a problem with my brake lights. They only come on when the pedal is depressed extremly hard, as in stop or die situations.

3rd: were can i get steel fenders fron and rear? As mine are fiberglass and i want to replace them.

And 4th: What 4-speed manual tranny's did Studebaker use? As i want to put in a 289 w/ a 4-speed next year. Is the tranny in question available from other manufacturers or can i buy adapterplates for another 4-speed?

Thanks, i know its alot. But i need these anwers.

oh and here is a pic of Jezabel......

Comment

oh and here is a pic of Jezabel......

Comment

quote:And 4th: What 4-speed manual tranny's did Studebaker use?
        The only one of your questions that I can answer is about the 4 speed. Studebaker used the Borg Warner T-10.

As far as fenders, there is a big Studebaker swap meet coming up in York, Pennsylvania on March 2-4. There is usually sheet metal there.

Other forum members will have to answer the other questions.

That is a real nice looking Champ!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote:And 4th: What 4-speed manual tranny's did Studebaker use?
          The only one of your questions that I can answer is about the 4 speed. Studebaker used the Borg Warner T-10.

As far as fenders, there is a big Studebaker swap meet coming up in York, Pennsylvania on March 2-4. There is usually sheet metal there.

Other forum members will have to answer the other questions.

That is a real nice looking Champ!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Since your brake lights do work it seams the circuit's okay. I would think you've accumulated some gunk in the stop light switch. I've never looked on a T-cab but, on the cars, I've seen it mounted on the master cylinder and I've seen it in the left front corner of the frame rail. Screw it off, screw a new one on. While you're at it, you may want to flush the whole system and install fresh brake fluid.

How long has it been since the three brake hoses were replaced?
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Since your brake lights do work it seams the circuit's okay. I would think you've accumulated some gunk in the stop light switch. I've never looked on a T-cab but, on the cars, I've seen it mounted on the master cylinder and I've seen it in the left front corner of the frame rail. Screw it off, screw a new one on. While you're at it, you may want to flush the whole system and install fresh brake fluid.

How long has it been since the three brake hoses were replaced?
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I replaced the brake light switch on my '61 Champ and that made some difference, but not a whold lot. The problem was what you are speaking of. I am going to put in a Harley-Davidson switch next. They are almost interchangeable and will stand up to synthetic brake fluid. There was a write up about this in Turning Wheels a couple of years ago.
                Joe Roberts
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I replaced the brake light switch on my '61 Champ and that made some difference, but not a whold lot. The problem was what you are speaking of. I am going to put in a Harley-Davidson switch next. They are almost interchangeable and will stand up to synthetic brake fluid. There was a write up about this in Turning Wheels a couple of years ago.
                  Joe Roberts
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Thank you guys very much. As to the Starter. Do you guys know were i can get a ring gear that mates upto my starter? I'll use that instead of a starter if i have too.

Comment

Thank you guys very much. As to the Starter. Do you guys know were i can get a ring gear that mates upto my starter? I'll use that instead of a starter if i have too.

Comment

When you asked about a four-speed transmission, were you asking about a car type or a truck type with 'granny' gear?

Dwain G.
                        (We're not called 'hillbillies' any more....we're now Ozark Americans)!
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

When you asked about a four-speed transmission, were you asking about a car type or a truck type with 'granny' gear?

Dwain G.
                          (We're not called 'hillbillies' any more....we're now Ozark Americans)!
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

You will have to change out the flywheel. There is no ring gear on a (Studebaker, Lark) manual transmission. Do you have the OHV six or flathead? Should be a Flathead with a '60.

By the way, Bee-yoo-tea-full truck!

Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

You will have to change out the flywheel. There is no ring gear on a (Studebaker, Lark) manual transmission. Do you have the OHV six or flathead? Should be a Flathead with a '60.

By the way, Bee-yoo-tea-full truck!

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X