Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'63 Avanti Restoration status

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • '63 Avanti Restoration status

    This car is R2333. It is supercharged with an R1 motor. I have been working on it since last summer. It has been stripped and repainted and all the little emblems and the rechromed rear bumper are due to be re-installed right after Thanksgiving. The car looks pretty good "as is." We took it out to run it a little on Friday. The engine has been tuned, with many parts replaced, including a new T-bow Mallory distributor. The car will definitely "move on" and doesn't spark knock. The oil press is a healthy 40-60 psi. Normal operating temp is 170F. I have to mix in 3-4 gals of racing fuel (110 octane) or about 1/2 tank of 100 octane to get the best performance. The electrical system is in pretty good shape with new wiring, electronic voltage regulator and a hi-amp battery. But, I've pretty much given up on the Tach. It works sometimes and then will stick at other times. Guess it's the "ghost in the machine" effect. Thus, I'm going to nickname her "Ghostrider." I've used up two new in-line gas-filters in about 350 miles of driving. There must be plenty of rust and sediment in the fuel tank. I have a carb kit, but haven't rebuilt it yet. Will probably wait till can get the gas tank cleaned out. More mechanical work planned in the next few weeks; install rechromed valve covers, new brass PCV valve, repaint engine, replace single master cyl with dual M/C kit, change trans fluid and filter, replace vacuum and heater hoses, etc. I also have a new headliner kit and door sills to be installed, plus an original rear-view mirror and passenger side chrome plated wiper arm. All in all, she's coming around pretty good. Everytime I drive it somewhere, people turn their heads for a 2nd look. Other drivers are always asking if it's a "new" or "foreign" car. I must admit that I get a kick out of that...[8D]

    [img][/img]

    edp/NC
    '63 Avanti
    '66 Commander
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

  • #2
    Ed, I like it! I have a '63 Hawk that I'll trade even up for it.


    Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

    Comment


    • #3
      I love it!

      Dylan Wills

      '61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.


      1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

      Comment


      • #4
        I absolutely love Hawks buddy. But despite some unexpected problems, I've become deeply attached to the "Ghostrider." Lord willing, I think she'll be with me a longgg...time. [^]

        quote:Originally posted by Milaca

        Ed, I like it! I have a '63 Hawk that I'll trade even up for it.


        Brent's rootbeer racer.
        MN iron ore...it does your body good.
        edp/NC
        '63 Avanti
        '66 Commander
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

        Comment


        • #5
          Ed,

          She is looking good. I'm surprised you need to mix in the high octane stuff that's expensive. Maybe the carb rebuild coupled with some tuning of the ignition system. Are you still running the dual point system or have you upgraded to a electronic distributor? My car before starting its redo with stock Carter AFB and stock Prestolite dual point distributer ran fine with no knock or ping with 93 octane premium (which is getting hard to fine around here now) and on 91 premium (common now) it would ping under heavy acceleration or while pulling a hill.

          Keep up the good work, an Avanti is either addictive or a disease. Once you get one its hard to get rid off it. I wouldn't mind having a Hawk some day either (and a Champ PU, Daytona convertible, and a ...) But with the $$$ I'm spending on the Avanti, my wife would go ballistic if I brought home another Studebaker.

          <div align="left">John</div id="left">

          <div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

          Comment


          • #6
            Ed, nice to see that such a beautiful car has a good and loving home. Nice progress - thanks for keeping us updated!


            [img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

            Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard
            http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
            www.studebakersandiego.com

            Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks! We have installed the T-bow electronic Mallory distributor ($375) and a high-perf coil. I think the carb does need to be rebuilt. As far as the octane goes, she'll run on 93, but it makes a big difference in performance when I get the mixture closer to 100. Recall, I've got a special case; R1 Motor and heads with a supercharger. So my compression ratio is probably 12 or 13:1 under full boost. [^]

              quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

              Ed,

              She is looking good. I'm surprised you need to mix in the high octane stuff that's expensive. Maybe the carb rebuild coupled with some tuning of the ignition system. Are you still running the dual point system or have you upgraded to a electronic distributor? My car before starting its redo with stock Carter AFB and stock Prestolite dual point distributer ran fine with no knock or ping with 93 octane premium (which is getting hard to fine around here now) and on 91 premium (common now) it would ping under heavy acceleration or while pulling a hill.

              Keep up the good work, an Avanti is either addictive or a disease. Once you get one its hard to get rid off it. I wouldn't mind having a Hawk some day either (and a Champ PU, Daytona convertible, and a ...) But with the $$$ I'm spending on the Avanti, my wife would go ballistic if I brought home another Studebaker.

              <div align="left">John</div id="left">

              <div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
              edp/NC
              '63 Avanti
              '66 Commander
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

              Comment


              • #8
                quote:Originally posted by edpjr

                Thanks! We have installed the T-bow electronic Mallory distributor ($375) and a high-perf coil. I think the carb does need to be rebuilt. As far as the octane goes, she'll run on 93, but it makes a big difference in performance when I get the mixture closer to 100. Recall, I've got a special case; R1 Motor and heads with a supercharger. So my compression ratio is probably 12 or 13:1 under full boost. [^]
                There ain't no such thing as a free lunch You wanna play, you gotta pay.

                I'd be interested to see how that combo performs on a dyno. I personally wouldn't like to have to carry around a jerry can of race gas on a road trip, but I bet it kicks you in the butt when you stomp it.

                nate

                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ya think I like to spend almost ten dollars per gallon of 110 TEL Sunoco race gas????

                  My R-1 Avanti will not run on pump gas(93) It pings like a MoFo!

                  So to all those that claim their R-1's run fine on 93 no lead......I would pay to see and drive those cars myself!

                  Just hard to believe.........and my Avanti had a major re-build via Thibeault!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

                    Ya think I like to spend almost ten dollars per gallon of 110 TEL Sunoco race gas????

                    My R-1 Avanti will not run on pump gas(93) It pings like a MoFo!

                    So to all those that claim their R-1's run fine on 93 no lead......I would pay to see and drive those cars myself!

                    Just hard to believe.........and my Avanti had a major re-build via Thibeault!
                    I don't know why, but there seems to be a big variation in these engines. I owned two R1 Avantis at about the same time. They were both completely stock and with about the same mileage on them. They were both tuned the same (by me). One ran fine on high test gasoline and the other wouldn't.

                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

                    SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

                    SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      quote:Originally posted by studegary

                      quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

                      Ya think I like to spend almost ten dollars per gallon of 110 TEL Sunoco race gas????

                      My R-1 Avanti will not run on pump gas(93) It pings like a MoFo!

                      So to all those that claim their R-1's run fine on 93 no lead......I would pay to see and drive those cars myself!

                      Just hard to believe.........and my Avanti had a major re-build via Thibeault!
                      I don't know why, but there seems to be a big variation in these engines. I owned two R1 Avantis at about the same time. They were both completely stock and with about the same mileage on them. They were both tuned the same (by me). One ran fine on high test gasoline and the other wouldn't.

                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

                      SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Just a thought here nothing to back it up as I'm not an expert by any means. My Avanti when driven daily and using 93 octane had about 130,000 original miles on the original rings, pistons etc. That being said as an R1 as they age (compression drops with wear) could it be that they don't need the extra octane. Maybe the variability between cars is the variability in compression due to engine age and wear.



                      <div align="left">John</div id="left">

                      <div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
                      sigpic
                      John
                      63R-2386
                      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Though it was more prevalent with leaded gas, but deposits can form on the pistons with mileage and effectively raise the compression ratio, causing uneven running and detonation. Since Stude engines all have mechanical lifters, having them adjusted correctly is imperative to maintain smooth running and to keep detonation from happening. When those mechanical lifters rattling even when properly adjusted the sound of detonation can be hidden...that's not just for Stude engines but any mechanical lifter engine.




                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My car will not run even with 100 octane fuel!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

                            I owned two R1 Avantis at about the same time. They were both completely stock and with about the same mileage on them. They were both tuned the same (by me). One ran fine on high test gasoline and the other wouldn't.

                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

                            Just a thought here nothing to back it up as I'm not an expert by any means. My Avanti when driven daily and using 93 octane had about 130,000 original miles on the original rings, pistons etc. That being said as an R1 as they age (compression drops with wear) could it be that they don't need the extra octane. Maybe the variability between cars is the variability in compression due to engine age and wear.



                            [/quote]

                            That is why I stated that both example R1 Avantis were stock, of the same age (at the same time) and had nearly the same miles on them (low).

                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

                            SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

                            SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "Ghostrider" is getting a taste of about 4-5 gallons of 110 octane tomorrow.

                              edp/NC
                              '63 Avanti
                              '66 Commander
                              edp/NC
                              \'63 Avanti
                              \'66 Commander

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X